1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted: Mirror cassette for head adjustments

Discussion in 'Gear you want' started by buzbox, Jun 20, 2017.

1. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Hey all. Looking for a mirror cassette. I have a few cassette decks that need adjusting. Anyone have a spare mirror cassette that they are willing to sell? I'm located in Australia so willing to pay for postage.

Regards,
    buzbox

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

What is mirror cassette? is it same as speed calibration test cassette?

3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Boodokhan likes this.
  4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

A few years back there was a heated discussion on the usefulness of mirror cassettes here: TAPEHEADS
    Unfortunately, the guy who wanted to offer one with internal illumination got discouraged by the community :(

5. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Can anyone explain why there would be different thicknesses?

6. bub

bub Active Member

You can make one quite easily yourself. Create the tape from a common cassette with a good shell (Most TDK D), and buy the thinnest plastic/mylar mirror sheet you could find that provides a clean reflection and is thick enough to hold its shape well. (I used leftover mirror sheet from a Tamiya display case).
    Next, snap/cut off the area on the head/capstan/pinch roller of Side A making sure that all the pins that guide the tape are on Side B and are intact. Insert and glue tiny squares of mirror sheet at a 45 degree angle to the tape surface- you may need to modify the shell a little to do so.
    That's it! You can also cut out 1 long rectangle like those Abex/Teacs, but you'll need to modify the shell even more.

With different tape thickness, you can look for skew in machines more sensitive to certain types of tape- I have a Panasonic that only skews on one model of tape, for example.

Jorge likes this.