1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What headphones haves you recently found or bought?

Discussion in 'Headphones Area' started by Command8, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I bought and repaired these 1960's Howland West Cis-300 Headphones.
    Took me an afternoon to fix the broken cable and replace the 6.5mm jack to 3.5mm, Sucks i don't have soldering tools so i just used a bic and a lot of wire connectors.
    IMG_20170320_175831.jpg IMG_20170320_175841.jpg IMG_20170320_175859.jpg IMG_20170320_175912.jpg

2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I recently bought the Focal Elear as I already shared, but last year I got this nice, old headphones.

AKAI old headphones 01.JPG AKAI old headphones 02.JPG AKAI old headphones 03.JPG AKAI old headphones 04.JPG

It doesn't sound very well, but hey, they look cool, don't they? :biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

have 3 pairs, sony mdr cd3000 grado ps1000 and sony xb1000 all exelent cans, the sony mdr cd 3000 please me the most because it's taken me over 20 years to find a pair worth having, aparantly there not that rare but finding a pair in worthwile condition is another thing

4. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

5. transwave5

transwave5 Member

I remember a nice looking headphones, but it did not sound good
    opened it up and the driver was a transistor radio speakers in them :laugh:

6. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

What type was that? :)

7. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Oh oh oh..... Thats just looking like a very dangerous fix..... This cans are Some stuff for Star Wars movies.. :)

8. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

sennheiser pxc 450 for 30 euro. strange use it more than grado rs 1 or sennheiser he60. my computer rulezz, long live mp3, far worse than cd or lp. 95% i use comput, strange

9. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

Aiwa HP-X10, the long awaited crown jewel :)

Attached Files:

Command8 likes this.
  10. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Is the Aiwa any good? Where do you place them among others?

11. DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg Member

It depends on which others. I have the Sony MDR-51, MDR-62, MDR-M44, Aiwa HP-A550, also I had the V99 (I'd like
    one these days as well :) ), I have the Sony MDR-E484, had the M88.
    And yes, from all of these, the X10 is the best so far. Unmatched subltety, details, soundstage. An instant, total favourite.

12. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Has anyone ever used the beyerdynamic dt 330 mkii, or a beyerdynamic model in general? I have my dad's old pair which has really deteriorated; The headband is curved at an arc, the ear pads are not surprisingly done for and I need to re-solder in new cables. I am unsure whether it is worth the time, effort and investment. Furthermore, since they are DJ headphones does that mean the impedance on them is too high that they can't be used with modern hardware?

13. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Decided to return to headphones' world a bit and recently bought a Denon AH-D7100 and Triple Driver Westone UM Pro 30.

Middachten likes this.
  14. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I have a DT990 of 250 Ohms and it sounds really well. It has a V-sounding profile and I think it can be one of the best sounding, cheap, open headphones out there. For 150 euros I cannot think of another that sounds so well.

I've heard the D7000 recently and was impressed of how good they sound. Impressive for a closed headphone.

15. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

16. Middachten

Middachten Member

I'm using either a pair of Westone UM Pro 30 or a Bowers & Wilkins P5 when i'm traveling (often by plane).
    The Westone offer excellent noise isolation and are very accurate, the P5 is quite good at isolation as well and sounds more lively. It depends on my mood and the music that I play which one I prefer most.
    With tapes the P5 is the preferred option because the Westone are not good at hiding tape hiss. They are pretty unforgivable in that respect (like other balanced-armature in-ear phones from Etymotic and Shure)

17. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I bought a pair of Philips Fidelio L2 early this year, They are pretty good considering their price point and how i got them from a second hand store.
    I have been doing research in more high end head-phones, and have found a seller in a classsified for the Sony MDR CD3000 a.k.a "Discount R10" for 500 euros.
    Has anyone ever listened to them, if so how would you say they compare to modern headphones? My issue with the Fidelio is the rather limited soundstage, feels like a bubble.

18. Chris

Chris Active Member

I bought a pair of Fiio EX1 in-ear headphones and I've just used them to listen to Blondie's 'One Way or Another'...it's as if Debbie Harry was in the room with me.

19. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Just bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50x and have to say the sound is excellent. I wanted to get an open set of headphones but the M50x suits me better. Can monitor my recordings better this way. The bass reproduction is superb.

20. Chris

Chris Active Member

I've been looking at buying those, what's the sound leakage like?