The Ultimate Marantz, Superscope, UNIX Boombox Thread

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

You got that right nickeccles, the first boombox I remember seeing was around 78, it might have been a JVC but it had a cool ferrite antenna, military styling and one big speaker. Everyone had a mono cassette deck like the CS-200 above, but the radio I saw was big and bad and I think a few hundred dollars at the time. But like all neat things the crap started flowing in and diluting the exceptionalism. Luckily a lot of people prized the high-end stuff and there's still nice examples around.

nickeccles likes this.
  2. Mister X

The Marantz CRS-2100 and the CRS-2200 are nearly identical except for the plastic grills and a few of the buttons. The CRS-2200 has separate bass/treble, on the same shaft, and a lighted display (only when the button is pressed). The CRS-2200 also has left and right VU meters. The "SUPERSCOPE BY marantz" also seems to show up on all of the boxes around 1978, this would be right before Superscope USA Distribution Contract with Sony expires, I'm not sure if they tie in together.

The ad shows the CRS-2200 with the CD-330, I don't know a timeline for most of this equipment so if you know years, please post, the ad is copyright 1978. I've got a CD-330 and it's very impressive with three head stereo, if you don't own one get one now while they are still cheap. The insides are really packed tight so if your skills are limited buy a functioning unit. One of the things that draws me to these field recorders is that several of the manufacturers also made home components for them and the recorder would sit on the top of everything. The design of the home stereo stack is very impressive and having this cool looking tape deck on the top really makes the systems stand out. You can see the verbiage in the ad "Our portable stereo cassette component deck, the CD-330, can be used with the finest of home systems." I don't think Marantz had a matching component system for the tape deck but maybe they did in other markets. The CD-330 is the only field recorder I have that is labeled SUPERSCOPE, all of my other later units are labeled Marantz with no mention of SUPERSCOPE. Some of you might remember when I posted a little mono Marantz PMD Recorder I had gotten, years ago, and wondered what the background was for the units, I'm pretty sure it was Walkman Archive that said I needed to get a PMD-430. I still don't have one but one of these day I'll find one.

The CRS-2100, the CRS-2200 and the CD-330 that I own are all made in Taiwan at factory 0910. I have to believe that this was some of the best stereo equipment coming out of Taiwan at the time, here in the US we considered Taiwan Imports to be mostly mass-marketed entry level items.

The CRS-2104 looks like a multi-band unit with four radio bands instead of just AM/FM that is on the CRS-2100. The CRS-2104 also includes "PHASE LOCKED LOOP" and "ONE TOUCH RECORD" printed on the case. In the old days you had to press both PLAY and RECORD to record on tape, this was an early convenience feature.

I've updated this post with information on the feature laden Marantz Superscope CRS-2200 and take a look at the accessories, a footswitch, telephone pick-up and microphone. I think the telephone pick-up was a unit with a cup that would stick on a phone, allowing you to record a call, which was very innovative and fun back in the 70's.

b6470587857af475ca6742ec9ada3bd9.jpg
    2200.jpg
    Superscope 2200 1.1.jpg
    Superscope 2200 2.2.jpg
    crs21042.jpg

This nice looking CRS-2204 just came up for sale on ebay US, this unit looks very nice and it still has the signature white tip antenna. The CRS-2204 is the more desirable multi-band model. You can see the two different front grills for the CRS-2100 and CRS-2200 Models
    m2204.jpg

Even in France this is a popular model, the Superscope by Marantz CRS-2024
    https://www.audiovintage.fr/leforum/viewtopic.php?t=4611

2204.png

Recording Irish Pirate Radio with the Superscope CRS-2024N
    http://www.irish-pirate-radio-recordings.host-ed.me/my-receivers.shtml

marantz-crs-2024n-superscope.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Jorge and Mystic Traveller like this.
  3. Mister X

This list was on Reli's great site, http://www.wikiboombox.com/tiki-index.php?page=Marantz I'll add the missing boxes and hopefully we'll have a more complete list. If there are missing boxes please update the thread and I can edit this posting, please include the PMD and CD Line of Field Recorders and anything else that might fit into this list. ARKAY in Hong Kong used to see "Universal" Versions of the PMS-6000 Turntable but I can't find any photos.

UNIX seems to be JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) only?

• Marantz 53 Micro System (this could be paired with three different portable cassette players)
    • Unix US-5 Micro System
    • Marantz Japan CRS-3.8
    • Marantz Japan CRS 1850
    • UNIX CRS-2
    • UNIX CRS-3
    • UNIX CRS 3.5
    • UNIX CRS-5
    • UNIX CRS-52
    • UNIX CRS-1850
    • UNIX CRS 2800
    • UNIX KZ-100 (Cassette Recorder, 8-Track Tape Player), Mono
    • CRS-6300
    • CRS-6800
    • CRS-6810
    • Marantz CRS-6820
    • CRS-7810
    • CRS-8000
    • Marantz MS-300
    • Marantz Japan PH-32
    • Marantz Japan PH-32W
    • Marantz PH-52
    • Marantz Japan PM-326 (Marantz Japan)
    • Marantz PMD-101
    • Marantz PMD-201
    • Marantz PMD-220
    • Marantz PMD-221
    • Marantz PMD-222
    • Marantz PMD-340
    • Marantz PMD-360
    • Marantz PMD-420
    • Marantz PMD-430
    • Marantz PMD-500
    • Marantz PMD-501
    • Marantz PMD-502
    • Marantz PMD-510
    • PMS-3020
    • PMS-3500
    • PMS-5
    • Marantz PMS-6000 (With Turntable)
    • Marantz PMS-6820
    • Marantz PMS-7000
    • Marantz PMS-7004
    • Marantz PMS-8000
    • Marantz Superscope CD-320
    • Marantz Superscope CD-330
    • Marantz Superscope C-206LP
    • Marantz Superscope C-207LP (Three Head Mono)
    • Marantz Superscope CR-800
    • Marantz Superscope CR-830L
    • Marantz Superscope CR-860 (JDM only?)
    • Marantz Superscope CR-900
    • Marantz Superscope CR-1000
    • Marantz Superscope CR-1050
    • Marantz Superscope CR-1053L
    • Marantz Superscope CR-1000A
    • Marantz Superscope CR-1100
    • Marantz Superscope CR-1200
    • Marantz Superscope CR-1203L (Europe?)
    • Marantz Superscope CR-1300
    • Marantz Superscope CR-1400
    • Marantz Superscope CR-2450
    • Marantz Superscope CR-2480
    • Marantz Superscope CR-3500
    • Marantz Superscope CR-3520
    • Marantz Superscope CR-4500
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-152
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-155
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-1800
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-2000
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-2020
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-2024
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-2025
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-2034K
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-2100
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-2104
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-2200
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-2204
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-2480
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-3504
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-3604
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-3800
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-4000
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-4003S
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-4503
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-4503L
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-4800
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-4803S
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-4803L
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-5000 (The only three headed boombox! JDM only?)
    • Marantz Superscope CRS-7000
    • Marantz Unix CRS-5
    • Marantz Unix CRS-5.5
    • Marantz Unix CRS-5800
    • UNIX or Marantz or Universal? CRS-6000 (With Turntable)
    • Marantz Unix CRS-6300
    • Marantz X7
    Portables (Walkman Style)
    • UNIX PC-88
    • UNIX PC-88 DB
    • UNIX PC-36
    • UNIX PC-30
    • UNIX PC-200
    • Marantz CP-53

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  4. Mister X

Here's a very interesting article from Billboard Magazine 1978. Superscope was losing it's US Distribution of Sony Products after close to 20 years and needed some more revenue. They had manufacturing in Taiwan, Japan and US and it looks like they wanted to expand that. This is right before the sale to Phillips and you can see it's geared towards the cassette recorder side of the business. I've already identified a couple Sansui and Samsung Boomboxes that are dead-ringers for Marantz, so maybe my theory holds true that they did indeed build boxes for other vendors.

SSC1.jpg
    SSC2.jpg

5. Mister X

One of the first mono-boxes, the Superscope CR-1000. This looks similar to some of the later models but look at the rotary knobs on the top, I'm glad that design didn't last long (They might be replacements, the unit in the ad seems to have better knobs). This unit is currently for sale on the bay, grab this super-rare unit while you can but it is missing one of the switches on the left side and the antenna is missing. $79.95 in the mid-70's was pretty expensive but compared to the seemingly much-nicer Sony's priced at over $400.00, these were a bargain.

CR-1000.jpg
    Superscope CR-1000.jpg
    CF-1000.jpg

Mister X has recently acquired dealer cut sheets for a few of these units. These are extremely rare, maybe the only ones in existence. This is the information the dealer received to buy the units and to have on hand for sales training. Notice some of the information gets fairly in depth, especially on these lower end units. I hope you enjoy this Stereo2go.com Exclusive.

The Superscope by Marantz CR-1000A is very similar to the one posted above but has some different features including the square white condenser mic. These both have the signature white antenna tip. I wonder if these models were pre-production sales units. I hate to say it but the background is hideous.

img20180811_19042013.jpg
    img20180811_19052069.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  6. Mister X

The Superscope CR-1200, some of these units seem to be pretty basic. This came from an unsold listing on the bay, sometimes people want crazy money because of the Marantz Connection.

cf-1200.jpg

and the 1203L, for sale fresh from Athens, Greece, the hotbed of cool old vintage boxes, maybe one of the members sales? I've never seen this one but it's most likely nicer than most of the similar units you would find back then. I'm pretty sure the USAF are just stickers but this is a pretty rare multi band unit and the orange and tan buttons just scream 70's. I think I like it better than the black unit above.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superscope-by-Marantz-CR-1203L-AM-FM-LW-Radio-Cassette-Player-31x22cm/302830033476?hash=item4682139a44:g:-WwAAOSw~fJanRII&_pgn=4&_sacat=0&_nkw=superscope&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

1203L.jpg

Pacific Stereo, May 25th, 1979
    Even back then Maxell Tapes were expensive, I don't know if the powerhouse UDXL II's were out yet, my personal favorite workhorse from the 80's.

pacific stereo 052579.png

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  7. Mister X

The Superscope CR-1300, another very basic model, these have very minor differences, I'm not sure why they would just change a switch or two on these early entry level boxes. It looks like the 3 had to do with the number of the radio bands.
    Factory code 0910, made in Taiwan.

cr-1300.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  8. Mister X

Some of my favorite cassette players are the field or professional cassette recorder types. Marantz Superscope has some really cool ones, both mono and stereo with some classic military styling. I don't know the chronology of these units but they still make digital versions of them and Superscope might still support some of the older tape models. One of the first models is the Superscope by Marantz CD-330, I would consider this mid-size in the world of professional recorders and it's a substantially heavy unit even without batteries, it also takes batteries in the bottom, kind of a Marantz Trademark. This three head stereo unit has "double Dolby" but I think you need that with three heads, these also have RCA outputs and options for 6 volt or 120 volt power sources. These are very under the radar units and still reasonably priced, these would make a great tape deck for your office or home stereo system. Straps seem to be unobtanium unfortunately, but they seem to work for the entire line-up

Peter Vis has a nice write-up on his website, check out his other cassette decks when your on the site.
    https://www.petervis.com/Cassette_Tape_Recorders/Marantz_CD-330/Marantz_CD-330.html

Superscope by Marantz CD-330 Service Manual and Owners Manual
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/901445/Superscope-Cd-330.html
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/897285/Superscope-Cd-330.html

CD-330.jpg
    CD-330 3.jpg
    Superscope-Original-Portable-Stereo-Cassette-Deck-Brochure-CD-320.jpg
    cp 430 230.png

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  9. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Very nice, thanks for sharing! :)
    Around which years were those Superscope's by Marantz CD-330 produced?

10. Mister X

Thanks Mystic Traveller! I think the Marantz CD-330 was 1978? Peter Vis mentions his is reconditioned but the Sony TC-152SD sounds better. I've tried to get a Sony Unit but just haven't got the right one yet; the quality of the Superscope is very nice even though it is mostly plastic.

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  11. Mister X

Marantz Professional Cassette Recorders tend to show up from time to time in these neat little hard shell cases. This may be the real James Bond Model Marantz, this one includes the Marantz PMD 210 with accessories for taping phone calls, I imagine this was used more for land lines and not cell service.

aid-audio-intelligence-devices-unitel-210-marantz-pmd-201-with-case-1_23620161850542904450.jpg

12. Mister X

The specifications for some of the Marantz PMD Recorders

pmd_spec.gif

Even up to a few years ago, Superscope would still service their tape equipment, this is an archived page from their website to give you an idea of the service and price in USD.

sss 1.jpg

The mono units, the basic design and size is the same.

PMD101.jpg
    PMD101 2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Mystic Traveller likes this.
  13. Mister X

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Jorge and Mystic Traveller like this.
  14. Mister X

Here's a couple photos from recent auctions, the Superscope by Marantz C-206LP and the C-107LP; the C-207LP looks to be a three head unit. While these units are both mono and probably don't interest most of the people viewing this forum, it's nice to include them to show Marantz/Superscope's innovation and huge product offering in this category. It's boggling to try to figure out why Marantz wasn't a bigger player in the personal cassette player market with all of their knowledge and manufacturing ability. Superscope also held the US Distribution Rights for Sony right up until the release of the Walkman, I wonder if the Walkman was Sony's F-You to Superscope after Superscope jumped into the cassette market while also being Sony's Distributor. The boombox catalog was a little different for Marantz since they didn't mess around and went straight for the high-end market and had a small but interesting line-up.
    C-206LP.jpg
    C-207LP.jpg
    C207lp.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  15. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

You guys got me so curious about Marantz that I bought my first Superscope bbox:
    L1140046.JPG

Two miracles:
    1) it works!
    2) D-batteries expired on July 1994 were still inside, they bulged but did not leak!
    L1140052.JPG

there goes my "New Year resolution" of avoiding three-piecers :(

Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  16. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Congrats!! :)
    This one isn't a typical three-piecer, worth it I believe..

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  17. Mister X

Very nice Jorge! I've never seen one up close but they look pretty substantial.

July 14th, 1978

camera sound 071478.png

May 11th, 1979

camera sound 051179.png

crs 152 1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Jorge likes this.
  18. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Can't wait to clean the desk (RC-550 parts everywhere!) and take a peek inside! Even as-is, with drying/stretched belt(s) and scratchy volume/switches it sounds surprisingly clear and "snappy". If this is not some glitch from a dying capacitor, but Marantz "house sound", I will be getting me more Marantz :wink2
    Once again, thank you guys for such an amazing thread!!!:thumbsup:

Mister X likes this.
  19. Mister X

Jorge, post the manufacturer number or name off the back plate when you get a chance.

20. Mister X

I was looking up some old S2G Threads for Marantz Information, there were a few members that had multiple boxes and then there was ARKAY who seemed to find a grail box at least twice a week and several of these were the top of the line Marantz/Universal Boxes. Reading ARKAY's Stories, he usually did a pretty long, in-depth, write-up, really made me lust after some of these units.

ARKAY finding some very rare Marantz HP-25 Headphones
    http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?board_oid=193392314111653340&content_oid=193392314112161221

ARKAY finding another PMS 8000, I think this was the very top of the line Marantz Boombox.
    http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?board_oid=193392314111653340&content_oid=193392314112022584

ARKAY talking about Marantz Boomboxes on AudioKarma
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/marantz-boombox-are-you-nuts.168727/

fresh.produce gets a Marantz PMS7000 off of Craigslist
    http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?content_oid=193392314111957434&board_oid=193392314111653319

CRS-4000 on AudioKarma, with ARKAY adding some commentary.
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/rare-marantz-boombox-with-pics.184185/

I'll post more links if I can find more threads, sadly they're getting harder to find.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018