Is this Sony a boombox?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The Sony TC-PB10 is one of the oddest creations from Sony, their development budget must have been mind-blowing when you look at all of the different variation of all the units they created.

The Sony TC-PB10 is one of these frankendecks, this arm breaker of a pseudo-boombox is sooo cool. Years ago some of our forgotten members discussed this model and what the intended purpose was, HIFI Tom was maybe the only member who had one. While it looks like a three piece boombox, there are no batteries, strictly outlet power but it does have a handle and looks like a box without a radio.

One of the larger mysteries was the LINE OUT/AUX IN using the same inputs on the front panel and the mic jack but no record ability. Maybe the inputs were for a one man band to mess around at his desk and mix in with the tape. Each piece has a small folding bracket underneath so you can angle it up at your face when it's on your desk.

The unit sounds great, it retailed for silly money in the 80's and mine came with The Doobie Brothers Minute by Minute...Score! Anybody know more information about this extremely rare unit?

DSCN2708sm.jpg

2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Wow I have never seen that before, what an oddity

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Or Karaoke ? That is extremely popular in Japan, and the Mic input could be used for that.
    Other uses could be any kind of dance / excercise class. No dance teacher would ever use the radio although the Sony might be a bit underpowered for that. Quiet traditional Japanese style dancing ?

There are a few similar Panasonic and Sanyo boxes that were obviously designed as Mini PA systems first with boombox functions thrown in. Admittedly those boxes look more like they were designed for lots of transporting about.

As for the original question. No battery operation = Not a Boombox

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

Never seen one but I know I want one now! Odd it has no radio though, perhaps the karaoke theory is correct?

5. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

6. Mister X

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  7. Mister X

8. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

searched on YouTube and found somebody has it and more interesting this guy has a huge collection of boomboxes:

Jorge likes this.
  9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Whoever Directed this clip must be a fan Of Woody Allen and his movie "Hollywood Ending"... Hilarious!!!

Boodokhan likes this.
  10. Mister X

Wow, that guy sold his collection of 500 boxes last year, wish I had known they went for pretty cheap.

11. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

thats my kind of box, wonder how heavy she is, and yes this is a boombox, one peice qualify as the ghettoblaster imho

12. Mister X

If it didn't have the optional battery pack (which I don't have), I'd call it a mini-system, but it does look like it was designed for portability. The first ad shows 20 lbs and 15 oz, it really feels substantial when you hold it and I get nervous carrying it around and hoping the speakers don't fall off.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  13. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

Yeah, man--my parents got a portable color television back in '73, and a 5.5" b/w in '87. They both had a handle, but no battery or battery case, so....

Can't help notice the JVC JV-33 looks a lot like my Panasonic SGJ-800... I often wondered if they were the same company, or just shared designs.

14. Mister X

15. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

Well, I do have my SGJ-800 sitting atop my dresser--right across the room from me as I write this....

16. Mister X

Found another ad for this wonder.

Sony TC-PB10.jpg

lupogtiboy likes this.