Cool stuff for sale mega-thread.

Discussion in 'Auctions and classifieds' started by Mister X, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

That's how you combine a TV and boombox! I hope to find one someday at an estate sale, nicely taken care of. These would be the coolest video ad if you had a store or manning a convention, now that the broadcasting tech is pretty cheap and you can send it from a computer, it's a no-brainer.

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

Now that is cool Longman, I've never seen anything close to that before. I'd grab it if it shipped here, it's just too cool not to have, the price seems like a steal unless it's plastic crap.

panasonic.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  4. Mister X

5. Mister X

6. Sly.

Sly. Active Member

Looks like something's up between the stop/eject and pause button.

7. Mister X

Hello Mia, there's a thread below this for equipment you want, that might be a better place to post. I know over the years these boxes have been parted out but it might take awhile to find your parts.

8. Mister X

I used to see kind of neat, reasonable priced all the time but the times have changed. This Hitachi TRQ-150K is pretty cool and would be fun to play with, it looks like a better version of the karoke machine that everyone seemed to have a few years ago. I'm not sure what the antenna is for, maybe the microphone or to broadcast to your stereo system. Apparently the common method is to use pre-recorded 8-track (without vocals) to sing to.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-8-...181595?hash=item214fd37f9b:g:9XsAAOSwzjxal7D3

Hitachi.jpg

9. Mister X

While the debate may never end if AIWA or Phillips had the first modern version of the boombox, this one came soon after and it looks great. This might be an opportunty to get a fairly-rare AIWA Model TPR-202 for cheap. A must have for the first-generation guys or anybody looking for a pretty cool early box. these are usually very-well built and will stretch your arm if you carry it too much. Short wave and VU meter are a bonus.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-VTG-A...250915?hash=item215020d9a3:g:QOUAAOSwTQNcLjdL

aiwa.jpg

10. Mister X

Since we posted some later model computer cassette tape drives, lets post this one that looks like it's from the mid-70's. this looks old and check out the interface, someone will have to explain that to me. The handwritten serial number makes me think of a garage with a bunch of home-made assembly going on but the Pegasus PD1 makes me think of mini-computers. I can imagine Jobs had one of these when he came up with the much cooler disk drive for the Apple II.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pe...650885?hash=item3fb57a9b45:g:BPYAAOSw~WNbrV3T

Pegasus.jpg

11. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It seems to be a museum pice but they don't know much about it.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/50256/Pegasus-Digital-Data-Recorder/

They are probably right about the interface.
    Commodore cassette decks also had a digital interface which theoretically removed the need to mess around with volume levels etc.

I had an Atari ST external disc drive that made me think exactly the same thing. Wondering if it was home made or a commercial product I realised it was probably both.

Mister X likes this.
  12. Mister X

Computers really made a huge leap from homegrown clubs using off the shelf parts to a nice looking unit. I think Apple used Frog Designs to design the second generation Apple II and really pushed the look of the equipment. While looking at old stuff on ebay I found a few other neat old drives and at least one other had the large connector. It would be neat for somebody with knowledge to let us know what all the connections were for but I think your right Longman, no need to "dial" in the signal and some of the other mechanical functions might have been controlled by the computer.

We have a new bar/lounge here with a million pinball machines and vintage games, stuff like this would be cool to display. In the old days the computer nerds were also excellent craft brewers, the hobbies seemed to intertwine.

13. Mister X

14. Mister X

15. Mister X

16. Mister X

17. Mister X

18. Mister X