design on Acrylic

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Boodokhan, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I broke a WM-W800 acrylic window and am trying to design a new window for it to look exactly as original one.
    I talked to some people who can easily cut the acrylic part with laser and print on on it using a UV flatbed printer.
    So i am trying to design it myself and I got all the measurements but i need advise on what font to use for the writings on acrylic:

upload_2019-1-7_9-48-21.png

w800 acrylic.JPG

The green color is obviously different and i will choose a better color
    Also any advise on color code is highly appreciated.

Machaneus likes this.
  2. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Looks really good so far , maybe with a good photo of the green part of the original window take a color sample , with something like photoshop ,and then use it to color the relevant part to your prototype design above.

The laser cut window won't have the originals curved edges but I guess it's a small price to pay than having a broken one.

A much easier method would be to scan the entire window and then print it in 1/1 scale , not sure though about the quality of the scan as ( I think ) the original window is back printed.

Hope you succeed , I'm interested what the outcome will be as I have too a WM-W800 with a broken window. Keep up the good work .

3. Boodokhan

Thanks
    I use Corel Draw which is extremely powerful software for design.
    I also use https://imagecolorpicker.com/ to pick the right color (or the closest match to actual one).
    I will keep you updated. If I get lucky and make it appealing will send you one for your walkman. The problem with this part is must be design in 2 different colors, 2 different shape to cover all WM-W800 acrylic window.

Attached Files:

Machaneus likes this.
  4. Machaneus

Thanks Boodokhan really appreciate it .:) Indeed there are A and B side windows and the tuner versions.

Below Wall-E presents the nasty damage , A-side tuner version.
    DSC01911.jpg

Boodokhan likes this.
  5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I've been out of the plastic industry for years but I think you can flame polish the edge of acrylic. I'd router the rounded edge and then flame polish it, better than new. The other option is polycarbonate, I think it's harder and scratches easier than acrylic.

6. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

I used to have quite accurate vectors for all those logos, but sadly I lost my hard-drive and haven't had the chance to back it up :nonoplease

• Dolby NR: Many vectors online of the other Dolby products, but the font itself is Eurostile, if you want to try tome make it from scratch.
    • Walkman: Vector downloadable from https://www.brandsoftheworld.com/logo/md-walkman
    • Stereo: If I recall correctly, Futura is quite a good match. Not perfect, but with some alterations it would be quite close. (Futura's x-height/mid-line is just above 50%, it must be lowered to 50% to get a symmetrical E and larger "head" of the R)
    • All the other texts: I have yet to find an exact match, but if I recall correctly, Arial was quite a good match. One of the key characteristics to look for is the shape of the R. It should have a straight leg.

7. Boodokhan

@Mister X :Never had any experience with flame polishing. This acrylic cannot be more than 1mm thick. I have to remove the broken glass (which is another problem since it is attached to metal door very tightly) to calculate the exact thickness. By applying flame it might melt the plastic :iconconfused:,

8. Boodokhan

@stuck-in-time , Thanks for the info.
    Unfortunately i do not have Adobe illustrator and those font belong to adobe, I am using Corel draw and can use Arial rounded as you mentioned is very strong match.
    Do you know by any chance where I can get the template for Dolby sign?
    I can design it but I thought you might have info

upload_2019-1-9_9-6-14.png

9. Boodokhan

the design is almost completed and next week I will go for laser cutting. So far I have the closest color matching:
    upload_2019-1-9_9-9-46.png

The problem with the silver part is on original acrylic this is very close to chrome pattern and by printing it loses the shinny feature, So I have to print one to see how it will look like
    will keep you guys updated

10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Your door is pretty thin and I have very little experience with it, you could try it on some scrap pieces first with a small blowtorch.

Boodokhan likes this.
  11. stuck-in-time

There used to be Dolby logos on brandsoftheworld.com (which is my go-to site for vector logos, and to which I contribute as well). but they seem to have removed them. Wikipedia hosts many vector logos as well, though. Here's the Dolby Digital logo from which you can extract the double D https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Dolby_Digital_old_logo.svg (it's in the SVG format, just save it directly)

If you don't have the usual plain Arial, I'd suggest some common sans-serif fonts, like Helvetica or something. The original fonts are not rounded.

Perhaps just print the text in black and, while leaving the chrome part unprinted? You can then stick some metallic stickers from the other side (the fully metallic ones, where the adhesive side is also silver).

Boodokhan likes this.
  12. Boodokhan

Thanks @stuck-in-time , Dolby sign looks fine,
    I need to print some samples to find out which one is better alternative.

stuck-in-time likes this.
  13. Boodokhan

Patex, alh, Simon and 1 other person like this.
  14. Machaneus

Great job Boodokhan .:thumbup:

15. Boodokhan

My first experience on acrylic design is here. It gives me a lot of idea how to improve the quality of work. The top one is the actual one taken from W800. The other 2 are printed version
    The difference between the middle and the bottom one is the key to a better and more closer to ideal design
    As you see the bottom one is not shiny since the design is printer on top of the acrylic sheet but on middle one mirror image is printed (actual print is on the bottom surface) 3A9096A8-741A-42EB-9195-2CB2B888BA82.jpeg
    I need to work a little bit more, to make it better

Patex, Machaneus and stuck-in-time like this.
  16. stuck-in-time

I think the middle one would be the right way to go? It's the side that's printed on the original one as well right? You get the shine of the acrylic and the print's protected from wear.

For the silver bit, might I perhaps suggest leaving it blank, just printing the black text. Then sticking some shiny silver sticker/foil from the back side. Like so: P1016905.jpg

Machaneus likes this.
  17. Machaneus

The middle one, resembling the original method of printing from the back aside the shiny look has also the benefit that the print is protected from scratching off the colors while using the walkman , potential (minor) scratches on the acrylic can easily be buffed out while leaving the print intact.

For the silver part Sony probably used mirror effect silk screen printing :http://www.seikoadvance.co.jp/en/pdf/sp/emirror.pdf

18. Boodokhan

the final print definitely will be a mirror image one. I would like to make it everything by printing and not to use any chrome sticker on the back ( I might do one just for a comparison).
    Next step is to find the appropriate glue not to affect the print/ design. Since the final print will be on the back of acrylic and glue can destroy the pain/ print. Anybody has any experience/ recommendation???.
    meantime I am working on several different walkman units that requires different acrylic part and will place the pictures once the job is done.

19. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Nicely done. Using the same printer I used when I made the window for the WM-30. If that printer has High Definition mode then the text will be a lot sharper. Takes a lot longer to print but better result. As for adhesives I would simply use thin double sided tape with high to medium tack.

Boodokhan likes this.
  20. Boodokhan

This one was an easy design but the writing needs some modification
    Red walkman missing the acrylic. See the top one which has the original acrylic and i designed it based on that one but choosing yellow color and thin font was not a good idea. So i have to go with original color/font and use the mirror image to be shinny
    AIWA walkman acrylic.jpg