Cool stuff for sale mega-thread.

Discussion in 'Auctions and classifieds' started by Mister X, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

2. Mister X

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I haven't seen that one before but I did see one of these in a store back when it was the latest and greatest thing. I didn't buy it as it cost more than a month of my wages at the time.

Video gear, especially that with colour LCDs was very expensive when they first came out. We did actually pay £550 for a Sharp Viewcam Camcorder like this just twenty years ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHARP-VL...m261678f42e:g:MH4AAOSwTHlcgopg&frcectupt=true

When they first came out Panasonic portable DVD players weren't much cheaper.

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Watching videos on your camera was pretty cutting edge, it was cool to see how that stuff went from shoulder mount camera with huge battery pack to small and hand-held, it was a great time for electronics evolution.

5. greg

greg Member

6. Longman

I guess the reason is that, no matter how good some of their products, Benkson was never had the same Kudos as brand names like Sony.
    If you wanted a Sony you quite likely would go to the plush Sony centre or similar. If you couldn't afford one, or were a cheapskate, you bought a Benkson from Woolworths.

Showing how things can change I do remember when Samsung, and LG (or Goldstar as they were called back then) were in the same league as Benkson.

7. Mister X

8. Mister X

9. Mister X

10. Longman

They don't seem to be that uncommon.

http://www.shizaudio.ru/audio/details.php?image_id=36968

http://www.deathwishindustries.com/index.php?op=home/What Is Best/Uncle Jacks Boomboxes Etc 2

If ever you want to 3D print one someone has done a complete 3D model.

If you have ever wondered how things are designed these days this is how.

Back in the 1980s I went to a lecture by Ford and they were very proud that they had a wireframe 3D model of the Probe concept car that updated at about 2 frames a second.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Mister X likes this.
  11. Mister X

speedy2.0 likes this.
  12. Mister X

13. Mister X

I was going to post this Crown but missed the sale, it might come up again but this is for the hard-core collector that like the really old vintage boxes. This is nice looking and would look great on the shelf, these old Crowns seem to have very high-end design and manufacturing. Sure it's differnt but a little cleaning and this is a pretty cool box, with it's own mics!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-Reco...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Crown 3.jpg

14. Longman

Probably in the side.

Have a look at pages 16 -17

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1978_small/

8 track.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Mister X likes this.
  15. Mister X

Two versions, I'm surprised they offered one without a radio. The colors are great and they look kind of cool.

16. Longman

To me the Ultimate funky 8 track player has to be the Panasonic Dynamite. They even did the blue colour for Mister X.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...31j46i275j46.jL4khhqHFn0#imgrc=KiOIabhUUe1K8M:

You don't seem to get fun products like that these days. I was helping my sister sort through her stuff and she had several novelty radios I gave her in the 1970s, e.g. a Robot with eyes that flash in time to the music. All AM only though.

17. Mister X

The handle/changer was the best on that Panasonic, so easy to change tracks, it was hard to keep people from playing with those. One of my older threads was a nicer boombox, maybe Panasonic, that was also 8-track, I had to change the belt. The construction was top-notch, everything was metal including all of the brackets and framing. I think I had a handful of screws left over when it was put back together. It's nice having an 8-track boombox around, that one really gets people's attention.

18. Mister X

speedy2.0 likes this.
  19. Mister X

speedy2.0 likes this.
  20. Mister X

Here's one for Longman, this must be super-rare, I've never seen one or knew they had one and I owned an old Timex Sinclair when they came out. Timex (the watch maker) was the USA Distributor for Sinclair and marketed the computers everywhere and it was dirt cheap. Sure it was very basic but I learned a ton programming it, and you had to be efficient with the limited ram. This tape deck looks mint, hopefully it finds it's matching computer, I think Sinclair had some really nice looking equipment but most people remember Apple's Frog Designed Equipment better.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/TIMEX-SINC...168670&hash=item3b2f5b8e01:g:F6wAAOSwMBlcr-zs

sinclair.jpg