Quasar Portable CD Player CD8956

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Mister X, May 15, 2019.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It took me a little while to figure out we had two CD threads but this is the right one and I've got one Kent doesn't have, or maybe just not posted. I've been talking for years about never having a Technics old-school square portable CD player. There's something about the first generation that just looks like they were high-end, before they morphed into plastic egg mass-marketed players.

Today I was at my favorite record/equipment store Go Johnny Go, and he had a Quasar Portable CD Player on the shelf. 99.9% of the time I would have left it without think twice but I picked it up and holy-cow, it is a solid metal brick, with a snap on rechargable battery. The quality seemed great for Quasar so I grabbed it along with a ton of other great equipment, including a JVC RC-S55JW (more on this later).

After a little research on this pretty much non-existant player, I figured out it was a different version of the Technics Player, the lid and buttons are different but everything else is identical. I'm not sure what version since the early ones look very similar but it makes sense since they were made by the same parent company.

It works great (skips alot, just like I remember) but the battery is dead, most likely not repairable unless someone has some ideas. It weighs a ton, very heavy and solid, not something you want on your waist when your jogging.

DSCN1812sm.jpg

Jorge and Mystic Traveller like this.
  2. Mister X

Jorge likes this.
  3. capStan

capStan Member

Great find.:boogie:
    Here's a Youtube video (in German) for the Sony BP 200 battery pack replacement

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  4. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Cool! Never seen Discman's under this brand invented by Matsushita for the US.

Mister X likes this.
  5. Mister X

Quasar was an American Brand until Matsushita bought them out, while they were several years into new ownership it was still a decent brand. I think some of the Japanese Companies had a hard time getting market share in the 70's so they bought up American Companies for the names and distribution.

Thanks for the video capStan! I might have to try that out but I think the battery pack is a little bit smaller, I don't know if enough height for AA batteries.

Jorge and Mystic Traveller like this.
  6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

You need to know what is inside the battery pack in order to proceed with a repair. If it is NiCad or NiMH then things are easy although it could get expensive.
    Lithium Ion isn't too bad. You can get spare cells from various sellers or take them out of other equipment. When I need one for a Sony MP3 player I found it was cheaper to buy a £4 no name player of a similar size and take the cell out of it than to buy a replacement cell on its own.

The only real problem would be if it is Lead Acid like some Aiwas. I don't think make miniature ones of those any longer.

7. capStan

capStan Member

I just opened the battery pack on my Sony D-50 an tried the eneloop battery,and it doesn't fit. :hmmm
    I don't know how the guy in the video made the battery's fit :scratch2

8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

What size battery did you try ? I watched the video and suspect he was using AAAs. They only have half the capacity of AAs though.
    There is probably no reason why you couldn't use several new AAAs in parallel to increase capacity. In Japan you can buy Eneloop C Cells, but people have shown they are just four AAAs in parallel in a can.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?287461-Eneloop-C-amp-D-Cells-Exposed

9. capStan

capStan Member

I looked at the video again,took a screenshot,and can see he's using AAA battery

Attached Files:

10. Mystic Traveller

Ah really yes, I've read about this story, a big article, thanks for reminding.
    They said that Japanese had eventually taken over almost all US consumer electronics market in 70s.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  11. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

Man... by/on looks alone, that thing puts my Citizen CBM-777 to shameo_O... not to mention how yours actually came WITH the removable battery!:confused:

That's no surprise... Phillips did the same with Magnavox to gain distribution of their Laserdisc player, and the rights to the Odessey 2 hardware to sell it in Europe as the Videopak 2000, IIRC.:oops:

Mister X likes this.
  12. Mister X

Thanks nickelindimer, I just found a Citizen Ad, I might be able to get it in the brochure section today!

13. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

Cool.:cool:

14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

This Quasar looks like a direct copy/rebranded Panasonic SL-NP10. Once I find a copy of its Service Manual, or get hold of the Discman itself, I will update my never-ending list of PCDPs Components and we shall see how it compares to its "hi-end brother" Technics SL-XP5... According to kaosuncd.com, internally they are the same.
    For a pretty reasonable fee Kaosun restored snap-on battery for my SL-XP5:
    battery.jpg

Batteries for Sony Discmans I restored myself, it is pretty straightforward:
    L1100108.JPG

If Quasar battery case is too thin for AAA rechargeables then you can use gumsticks: I was going to use them for my Fisher Studio Standard discman.

Mister X likes this.
  15. Mister X

That's it, the smaller LCD matches perfectly along with all the buttons and power cord. How does it rank in the world of first generation portables?

16. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

If it is a copy of Technics SL-XP5, and I have no reasons not to trust Kaosun on this, then this is one of the best-sounding Discmans EVER!!!
    PCM55 for DAC :) but unlike my all-time favorite Sony D-50 MkII it also has digital filter to smooth out the edges. Headphone amp puts out 30mW into 32Ohm... only D-50MkII, D-100, and my beloved Loewe CD100 had so much power!

Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  17. Mystic Traveller

Forgot to ask: skips in a stationary position or on the move?
    Again, so great looking machine! :thumbsup:

Mister X likes this.
  18. Mister X

Thanks Mystic Traveller! It just skips when it's moved, on the desk it sounds fine. My memory of any portable CD player before 92 was that they skipped, but I usually saw the lower end machines.

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  19. Mystic Traveller

Yep, then no worries, I've heard the same, they tried to damp mechanically
    but it was a long shot for sure. Only electronic memory buffers really changed situation
    when they emerged. :)

Mister X likes this.
  20. Mister X

I was happy to get an RCA in 96, with all of the car adapters, that I could bring in the car with me. It worked fine unless the road was bumpy for a stretch.

Mystic Traveller likes this.