Mini disc player.

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Derek marshall, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Some suggestions please. My mz-e900 mini disc player looks a little unsightly. Have been using this player as my every day music source since I bought it in 2001. Still running on the Sony drumstick battery. I love it but it has a problem. It is the silver version but the front surface looks rather unsightly. It looks as if the black Walkman logo has sort of ran and makes the silver finish look awful. Is it caused by sweat or something else? The pictures I have seen don't look as if they have this problem. Is there anything that can be applied to improve its appearance? Anyone else have this problem? Scan a tone help please?

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Can you please post some pictures to get the better idea of what it look likes

3. Derek marshall

Hi Boodokhan. Sorry I meant to say in the thread that i don't know how to put photos in the forum. I only use a Samsung Android mobile and I dont know anyone I can ask. Quite a few people on the site have tried to help me do it but I dont own a computer a d have no idea how to use one. All I can say is it looks like that black Walkman logo on the mini disc player has sort of ran affecting the finish of the player. I can only think it could be caused by constant handling. The player itself still works perfectly after all these years but it just makes it look messy. Any ideas?. Thanks for reply.

4. Boodokhan

your minidisc should look like this one
    upload_2019-7-15_11-5-32.png
    I don't have this model otherwise it was easier to give you some suggestions
    When you touch the logo is it raised from the minidisc player face plate or is it completely flat?

5. Derek marshall

Boodokhan for some reason I cannot get in to read your last message. It says error has occurred. Can you send again please.

6. Derek marshall

Ok iv'got it. Yes that's the one but mine doesn't look as nice as that. Have searched the forums but have not been a let to find one that looks like mine. Just wish I could put a photo on.

7. Derek marshall

The w logo has a recess with the black paint, if you can call it that, is slightly lower. It is the black that looks it has run- like if you were doing some painting. It really does spoil the cosmetic look of this player. It did start some time ago so I just wondered if anyone else had come across this problem.

8. Boodokhan

painting on vintage electronics require some experience. It might look simple but it is very complicated process since you might never achieve the original color.

- first step : try to clean it. Are you able to remove the face plate and clean it with soap and water?

2nd step: repainting
    a flat face plate is the easiest one to repaint by UV flatbed printer,
    For a recessed logo you can clean it very well and by using fine black marker reapply some paint to the logo.

9. Derek marshall

I did try cleaning with some warm water some time ago but no luck. Didn't think to try soapy water. Instead of looking like the one in the photo my one looks like it has fine black lines on the silver finish. Thanks for your help Boodokhan. I will try with some warm soapy water.

Boodokhan likes this.
  10. Kapil Verma

Kapil Verma New Member

I have a Sony MZ-R900 which I found after so many years & It was very dirty. I tried a different method & It worked like a magic. Just use a white pencil eraser & gently rub it on all sides one by one & repeat the process. It brings out the dirt & It becomes like new. IMG_20190729_134728.jpg IMG_20190729_134806.jpg

Sly. likes this.
  11. Derek marshall

Hi Kapil. Greetings from England. Thanks for response. I will certainly try that and see if it helps. Never thought of trying that.

Kapil Verma likes this.
  12. Kapil Verma

Kapil Verma New Member

Yes, It certainly works & doesn't damage the instrument if it's a metal body like mine. But it's a slow process & has to be done patiently. For the black logo, you can try black enamel used in some automobile logos with a steady hand & a fine paint brush just to fill it a bit. best of luck