Best deals: Walkmans

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Boodokhan, Jan 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

i don't know the ultimate deck, perhaps end 70's or 90's
    but i do think the tcd5 pro 2 has more than d6c..

tja, i was the only one who preferred the dc2 more than booodoo.
    dd9 wasn't known yet..

my advise buy a pro2
    nak 682 has more soul... or other 90's decks
    i think arcam delta 100 is a good one

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

I don’t know if it’s emotion, not for me anyway it’s just the sound.

The price is high on good personals for, maybe the hype or the fact they are getting rarer and rarer?

I have never been into Reel to reel even though I do love the superior sound. I went to cassette as when I was young, it was a way of me having my music on the move. I would like to see you use reel to reel on the move. At home it’s vinyl for me, it’s less cumbersome that a reel to reel.

3. 19lexicon78

i almost never use R2R, but it's farrr better than every other medium. total next level.
    but hey, convenience
    i never use vinyl, i never use cassette/ or walkman.
    it's mostly mp3,a bit less cd and a bit less vinyl. have an EMT TT.. almost never use it..!!!
    noticed new LP's suck big time. it's mp3 sound or CD sound. can't compare 70's or 60's vinyl sound. iow rip off, never buy new vinyl..!!!
    that's the irony of me. after all these years, i never use old tech. perhaps 1x month..
    it's all emotion to me..

4. TooCooL4

My friend has the ZXL1000, a very nice deck but coloured. Maybe the best Nakamichi ever?

I love the CR-7, you know what the best thing about the CR-7 is? It's a Chameleon, it takes on the sound of whatever you feed it with meaning it's neutral. None of this bullshit warm sound or colouration other decks add to the music it's recording. I hate it when people say oh analogue is warm and digital is cold, if they are getting that it's their shitty equipment adding it. A good system should convey the emotions of the music whether cold or warm.

5. 19lexicon78

so. the cr-7 is more like a class D-amp

i think, the arcam delta 100 is a better choice, if you want to go that direction.neutral as you can get, iow the ultimate cassette experience
    but still,
    if you want ultimate
    it's R2R, forget the rest
    forget the rest. go for R2R. you can't compare those 2. totaly different worlds
    R2R is how audio should be

6. TooCooL4

19lexicon78 yes a lot of new vinyl are just crap, but you can find some good ones too. I use an acoustic Solid One to one turntable. See this link mainly still the same but a new EMT JSD S 75 cartridge. First post in that thread.

7. 19lexicon78

haha
    the EMT TSD is by far the best cartridge in it's class
    made a good choice.. !!
    EMT arms aren't that good.
    the DD motors are second to none.. yep, the best
    i have a EMT 950. yep pro audio..
    talk to alot of EMT heads, everybody use a DD EMT more than a 927...
    iow sell the 927 and buy a 950.. another hint.
    sjit i should ask $$$$$$, you get my advise for freee.

8. TooCooL4

Nope not like class D at all, i don't like class D. I had a NuForce Reference 9SE V2 mono blocks, i gave them away to a friend in the end. They are not cheap £3500. I would never have a class D again, not for me.

You cannot compare reel to reel to cassette, i know some of the very best reel to reel are better than most cassette players but the very best of cassette deck will give your average reel to reel a run for it's money.
    But like i said before reel to reel never interested me as for me i had the cassette for it's portability and you can't say that about reel to reel.

9. TooCooL4

I have not heard those cartridges you talk about, but i love the JSD S 75. I use it on the Dynavector DV507MKII arm.

10. 19lexicon78

emt tsd 15

11. 19lexicon78

EMT is the broadcast stuff till 90's
    when listening too bbc, it's a 927/930/950 emt TT
    later a studer or EMT cd-player

thought you would know after all these years...

12. TooCooL4

I have seen that cartridge, it's a funny looking one if i remember? Not sure of the performance but price wise is way behind the JSD S 75.

13. TooCooL4

Yes i know, most radio stations used EMT

14. TooCooL4

Anyway looks like we have derailed this thread enough, sorry guys.

Time I went to bed. Nice chatting to you 19lexicon78 :thumbsup2:

15. 19lexicon78

well, a EMT 950 bbc edition had the same list price as a VW golf in 1978.
    telefunken m15 = mercedes s-class in 1970
    nagra=rolls
    broadcast audio, is another price direction.
    the best TT is EMT, forget the rest. don't buy new TT sjit, just don't..
    it's just like walkman, dc2 for 20 euro's or a dd9 for 30 euro...
    ok, it's 2001 those prices. i didn't look only for dc2 or dd9.. my real focus was a EMT TT or nagra or studer.
    too my surprise for 18-10 years i was the only one.. the only one..
    today, it's over, you pay $$$ for a 930..
    but, strange nobody listened to me 18 years ago...
    that's real thing. nobody listened for almost 10 years
    tja

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  16. TooCooL4

You should go and listen to TechDas Air Force Zero

17. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great points, thanks for the discussion. I look at all of this equipment for what is was meant for. R2R is great if you have the room and like watching the spinning reels, portables are fun and can be very nice with the right units. Years ago the Boodakhan was the unit to own, now there are some really good alternatives that may be better. The ever-changing king of the hill just makes all of this more interesting.

I'd love to check out some of the European R2Rs 19lexicon78, we don't have a lot of them around here, I've got a good selection of Sony's, Teac's, Pioneer, they were pretty much everywhere. I was mentioning the Technics because it is desirable and I found out there's one down the street, not being used.

And I don't remember the dc2 and dd9 for under 30 euro's, I won a recording AIWA back in the early days for around $35.00 and I thought that was a good deal, most of the other TOTL units were getting good money if they did come up for sale . I was buying mostly local and finding good stuff but the really good models were all pretty expensive, even around 2000, but I could only find them on the internet.

18. givemeyourwalkmans

givemeyourwalkmans Active Member

Bah what I really want is an AIWA PX303. When I get that in my hands my search is over. I have enough faith that AIWA can compete on par with some of the best Sony. I appreciate Sony's devices but I am a little salty they treated AIWA so badly. AIWA only stopped pushing boundaries when Sony left them to rot.

So far the only Walkman I have photographed in my '''''collection''''' is this one. It's the one I'm having problems with.

[​IMG]

Not sure if I should fix it or send it back, as the sound seems a little low and underwhelming, probably due to the oxidization issues I described in the other thread. Also sadly it somehow got a tiny hairline scratch on the front despite me only ever putting it on a sheet of paper on my desk. I didn't realise it'd scratch so easily...

19. 19lexicon78

@toocool
    i must admit, i would love to go to a high audio show. but there is none in the netherlands

@givemeyourwalkmans
    if you want the aiwa and you can find one for a reasonable price, perhaps you should go for it and indeed, forget all the other walkman. you don't need a big collection. it's better to have one you really want.

20. Command8

Command8 Active Member

@givemeyourwalkmans @TooCooL4 I have been busy moving countries. Before I left, I was able to get a couple pieces, from the East. Thank god for buyee.
    [​IMG]
    Glad to see someone else who sees the same potential I see in Aiwa.
    Here's a good tip, look at those walkman bundles, you might just spot a hidden gem.
    Here's an example or this the rl50 is more or less a px-505 but with a radio, it has the same amorphous head, "direct drive" motor (that pushes the capstan) and BBE & DSL.
    @19lexicon78 I second that, whatever walkman I find interesting are the ones ill hunt after.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019