Cool stuff for sale mega-thread.

Discussion in 'Auctions and classifieds' started by Mister X, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Cool find, It's too bad they didn't upgrade it with a cassette deck, one that still had the tape exposed like an 8-track. I get bummed out when I think of how cool even little stereos like this were, I rarely see stereos anymore in my travels. I know people like music and radio but are phones killing the home stereo market completely?

2. Mister X

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

They did produce the 2004 with a car type deck

https://www.google.com/search?clien...56j0j46j0i10.KMpozsmAGoE#imgrc=dIlZCynuC0cOKM:

I don't know if there was a Prinzsound equivalent. With a couple of hundred shops anything sold by Dixons will be fairly common, although my Ebay searches usually bring up about 30 pairs of 1970s headphones.
    I see mini systems all time. The going rate seems to be £35. My 85 year old neighbour has a neat little Panasonic system. Maybe its an age thing as the 65 year olds on the other side have a phone and a Bluetooth speaker. There again quite recently I was in Currys (owned by Dixons) and a bloke in his sixties in front of me bought a new Sony mini system for about £90. Maybe it was for his mother.

P.s. I just looked at their "Tradional HiFi (presumably for traditionalists) and noticed that none have a cassette deck

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tradi...971_xx_ba00013487-bv00313063/xx-criteria.html

I'm sure that a year ago there were still a couple like the Sony he bought.

4. Mister X

Hey, that Welltron with cassette isn't bad looking, it's funny that they are more known for the 8-track version, it must be because all of that is so 1973?

I do see mini stereos at the department stores, I just don't ever see them in friends homes. In the 80's everyone had a mid-size system and sometimes you'd run into a monster systems, now the prefered method of music listening seems to be the phone.

5. Longman

I suppose the 2001 is so well known as it was the first in the series.
    I think that in the late 1960s designers must have spent too much time looking at things like Sputnik as in the space of about a year we got
    From the Keraclor brochure is appears clothes were going out of fashion at the same time :redface

Of course there were space age units shortly before that

Definitely all products of their time. In the future an iPhone will look pretty boring in a Museum Cabinet.

Papa likes this.
  6. Simon

Simon Active Member

7. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

Kercolor must have wanted to keep things to a bare minimum in their brochure!

8. Mister X

9. Mister X

I love first generation boomboxes and this very early JVC Nivico RS-2100A is super nice looking, the color is stellar but it is missing FM. FM first started getting respect in the late 70's when rock and roll started moving over to that band. Before that it was more public broadcasting stations with lite-rock formats, all of the good stuff was still on AM.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nivico-Rad...254252243341?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

JVC Nivco.jpg

Papa likes this.
  10. Longman

I would guess this would be using transistors in 1960. However, back then, getting them to work at VHF frequencies (about 60 times higher than MW) would have been real High Tech stuff. Doing a quick search the first Bush transistor radio with VHF was 1961. No such problem with Valves/Tubes which had had to work at those frequencies from the beginnings of TV, but used lots of power doing so. Not a problem in a mains powered Radiogram but much more of a problem if you are trying to make a battery powered set.

Mister X likes this.
  11. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

12. Longman

13. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

For anyone feeling flush, there is a Carryin' Compo on eBay at the moment for £550, item number 202702835354

14. Mister X

Papa likes this.
  15. Simon

Simon Active Member

Rare Sony FH-909 for sale on Ebay. I have put the listing number below. There is a reserve on it so no idea what that has been set at. It comes without the handle and the seller has written a description of some issues with it but it's at £21 at the moment so should be worth keeping an eye on.

This isn't my listing or one of my FH-909's. I won't be bidding on this as I have two working and a third nearly working one already!

lupogtiboy likes this.
  16. Longman

A picture for the posterity

Sony FH909R.jpg
    That is an interesting cassette deck mechanism, although I don't understand the purpose apart from looking cool. The CD deck Sony ZS-D55 in my Avatar operates in similar way but that is so they could fit a CD into a unit less than 5" deep.

lupogtiboy likes this.
  17. Mister X

18. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

I'm watching that on my eBay list, who knows if I manage to grab a bargain (I doubt it though!)

19. Mister X

speedy2.0 likes this.
  20. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Techmoan definitely did a video on this, I remember laughing very hard. You just wear it like a scarf round your neck, but it’s only useful if not doing anything. In which case you’ll use headphones, a radio or normal speakers

Mister X likes this.