What analog music are you listening now? (only photos, no Youtube)

Discussion in 'Music: Albums, cassettes, new releases...' started by walkman archive, Jan 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Same here!!! "Mourning Sun" is not too bad also...

New Year's Eve started kosher: "a whiter shade of pale" as reinterpreted by Annie Lennox was a pleasant new discovery for yours truly:
    IMG_3430sm.JPG

as 2018 is coming to an end, evil Tidal is serving the real thing, Procol Harum:
    IMG_3447sm.jpg

a few blank cassettes are coming my way from Amazon and eBay, will be able to morph Evil into analog goodness soon...

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

IMG_0109.JPG
    Listening to someone else's copy of Kate Bush's first and best album "The Kick Inside" on my late Fathers Panasonic, while sat at the table where I did all my homework in the 1970s and 1980s, scanning 110 negatives using a ten year old scanner and even older Windows XP Toshiba Portege laptop. I think that's five decades of Analogue and Digital covered.

Jorge likes this.
  3. Hellcat

Hellcat New Member

Start of my collection :)

IMG_20190818_174044.jpg

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  4. Longman

I played this today.

IMG_5122.JPG IMG_5124.JPG IMG_5126.JPG

Part of my Birthday present from exactly 43 years ago.

My original Amerex cassette recorder which was my main present in 1976 is long gone but the tape still plays perfectly.

I wonder what music 14 year olds will have left to play in 2062? Will companies like Spotify still be around ?

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

In my hands, the only thing that saved Vangelis LPs from being played to death was a set of J-M Jarre and Tangerine Dream LPs

This is the start of my day today: favorite album by not quite my favorite group
    Shamal.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Mister X likes this.
  6. Longman

If you like those have you checked out Tomita ? With the exception of kitsch "Music for Pleasure" records like "Go Moog", Tomita's Pictures at an Exhibition was probably the electronic music I heard, after my sister somehow persuaded my parents to buy the LP having heard some of it at school.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Mister X likes this.
  7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

of course I did!! Electronic Music has always been a serious part of my collection (even in those days when it meant something because we had to actually pay for LPs, CDs and cassettes!). I would not blame you for giving up on EM if Tomita was your first listen, nowadays I have only one Vangelis ("1492", my favorite) and no Tomita but a few hundred albums by Klaus Schulze (folks usually mention Stockhausen and Xenakis, but I think it is more appropriate to call Klaus Schulze and Edgar Froese as fathers of EM as we know it nowadays). here is "Babel" by KS in rotation:
    Babel.jpg

((in KS words: the less said about Tomita, the better...))

8. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Years ago I was at a thrift checking out the records when they still stocked good ones. The guy next to me was obviously a collector and he made me buy a Tomita Album.

9. Longman

I liked Tomita and went on to get several of his albums. Like most music Electronic Music he can be a bit variable. I regretted buying Vangelis Beaubourg. A funny story about that. I took it to a friends house where we played it and I thought it was better than I remembered. At the end of playing it he realised his record deck had been left on 45 RPM :lollegs:.

Something I have commented before about electronic music is that in the early 1970s there were real advances happening year by year. More recently I bought Walter Carlos "Switched on Bach". While I appreciate it was ground-breaking at the time I think Tomita did the usual Japanese thing of taking an idea and bettering it.
    Very soon afterwards Japanese manufacturers did the same with Synths. In fact the Casio CZ range came out of a project Casio did for Tomita.

I must listen again to "The Zodiac" by Cosmic Sounds, which is a very early album using synths. Back at school, before I could afford new records I bought a very warped copy for pennies from another pupil. Both I and my sister liked it and decades later I got the CD.

Mister X likes this.
  10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I like syth music that uses the oddball spacey sounds and creates music with it, I felt like Vangelis was just playing piano on a keyboard and not getting into the cool effects.

11. Longman

Here, helping with house clearances again. After taking a load of stuff to one charity shop I went around others crate diving. I couldn't resist 12" of Debbie Gibson from Cat and Kitten rescue.

Debbie Gibson.JPG
    The first time I have encountered a 33RPM 12" single although the main track is an extended mix.
    Hard to believe that this was published 31 years ago and Debbie is 50 next year.

Another purchase night help me understand this new fangled "Stereo" thing people keep talking about
    . IMG_0159.JPG
    It doesn't have an overall copyright anywhere but the individual tracks range from 1960 to 1968. Amusingly the crate I was going through said "All records 50p unless individually marked. This one was marked :- with the original price label of 73p (which incidentally means it was sold after 1971). For those outside the UK MFP was the budget brand of EMI, famous for acts like the Beatles. Back in the 1970s our small local supermarket had a revolving rack of these cheap MFP discs.

Surprisingly both the records I bought, and one that I looked at but didn't were in really nice condition. I have had significantly worse paying full price in places like Virgin Records back in the 1980s.

Mister X likes this.