Beer and Boomboxes!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The good news is when you get back on your feet, you have the world's best boombox storage trailer! I only had one question tonight, is Jorge going to chime in and is it Duval or Badger Hill Peanut Butter Milk Stout? The Peanut Butter Milk Stout kind of won and cleaning and laundry are progressing quickly! It would be kind of cool if you had a roached box and sort of made it work again ala Marantz. Did someone say Kangaroo Boxes?

DSCN2867sm.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  2. Mister X

and I just found out Megadeth has a beer! a tout le monde, but I see it all over here but not the "Megadeth" Version.

9875006160926.png

Jorge likes this.
  3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Oh, Yes! There was one Beauty coming my way from Yahoo-Japan when Woolsey Fire hit but I cannot make it behave, and yet another personal Grail snatched off e-Bay still in the box to be revealed...
    my Karma shat onto me but I am not going to surrender!!!!
    I Will Be Back!!! ;)

Boodokhan and Mister X like this.
  4. Mister X

Hanging out in the shop with my JVC PC-W350, oh man I forgot how great this one sounds and what a cool box. I'm trying to tweek my camera settings a little but I'm still getting light off of my ceiling. I know a lot of guys don't like these three piecers but this is one of the best and the best part it was a thrift store find years ago.

The tape is The Cars Second Album, also from the 80's, it's really weird but I found it a few days ago, all by itself, when I was plastic wrapping some equipment. The Cars was one of my favorite bands from the 70's and can still hear them cranking out of the kidney pool speaker at our local skateboard park.

Bye bye love, I'm having a Bit-O-Honey Blonde!

DSCN2089.JPG

5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

This one is Totally out of my league: three-piecer + dual cassette + square speakers... Not my cup of tea... but right now, while trying to revive D-90 Discman and caressing a six-pack of Becks..., I want it!
    Looks awesome!!

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  6. Mister X

Someday your going to get a three-piecer and wonder why you waited so long Jorge.....One of JVCs last big bad beasts, ultra heavy with all of the gizmos, my photos don't do it justice. The sound is one of the best, maybe my best, although I really like the Marantz Micro Systems Power and clarity. The tuning knob goes from red to green when it locks on a station and this tuner really zeros in. I'm in a little valley so I don't get great reception and the shop is surrounded by metal so it's not the best reciever but this has no problem. It is a big one so it doesn't move much, I don't think JVC did honey-comb square speakers, the covers, I think, are cosmetic.

Jorge likes this.
  7. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

IMG_3574 Sharp GF DOS XX beer

Attached Files:

Mister X, Boodokhan and Jorge like this.
  8. Cassette2go

IMG_3577 Not your fathers root beer Hitachi TRK-9150w Telefunken TM6670 Sharp GF boombox IMG_3577 Not your fathers root beer Hitachi TRK-9150w Telefunken TM6670 Sharp GF boombox.JPG

Papa, Boodokhan, Jorge and 2 others like this.
  9. Mister X

Now we're talking Cassette2go! We have our first day that really feels like fall up here, cold, misty, overcast and wonderful. I just cracked open a cold one!

Jorge likes this.
  10. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

don't like beer, now a bottle JD on the other hand lol

nickeccles, Mister X and Jorge like this.
  11. Mister X

Out in the shop, wrenching on the truck, I picked up some Howling Gourds Pumpkin Ale and it's not too bad with some music supplied by my little Fisher PH405. This one has been doing years of shelf duty and needed a little workout.

DSCN2907.JPG

12. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Mister X actually, out of five bboxes in my "new" collection, two are three-piecers :)
    One of those is seen in @Cassette2go photo: it looks soo lovely that I am awaiting for a special mood and special star alignment to start working on it! :rolleyes:
    Another one is a present from @Boodokhan and originally received from... @Cassette2go (!!??!!) It is also Hitachi, with speakers flipping out, but not actually detached

@Radio Raheem you Do belong here, in my native country of USSR there was a saying that beer without Stoli (translated as JD) is a waste of a good product! :) Post your findings... :)

13. Mister X

Yes! The Fisher is a three-piecer, a small one but the speakers still detach. I know they had a stigma way back in the old days, a lot of them were just cheap junk, but some were more component style, high quality real mini portable stereos.

nickeccles and Jorge like this.
  14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Fisher Discman was one of the stars of my then collection, when re-branding you sometimes get a real deal!
    Now I am looking for a mini to fit into my tiny "flat" for while I will be rebuilding my house... My "new" collection of bboxes is stashed at my work-space, Boss does not allow any Beasts at home :( And I need something for my mornings workouts: how can you do any pull-ups without a help from Music???!!!
    Need some ideas: a decent (but not unobtanium) small cassette boombox... :)

Mister X likes this.
  15. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Name the mini and it will be yours :lollegs:
    I have something between 50- 100 minis. You can choose any of them that you like and I will drop it to your place this Friday.
    If you ask me to choose, best mini ever made is a WA-8800 but its up to you. If I have the model it will be delivered to you this week:thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  16. Mister X

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Jorge likes this.
  17. Cassette2go

Now that you have 'me' CRAZY looking at this prehistoric 3-head portable and spending much WASTED time researching it!
    What is a good 3- Head portable cassette recording deck according to your Knowledge? ( other than this model - 'Marantz CD-330' ) ?

Mister X likes this.
  18. Mister X

There aren't a lot Cassette2go, I can name a few three headed stereo portables. Marantz and Sony had some mono versions as well.

Marantz Superscope CD-330
    Marantz PMD-430
    Superscope (no Marantz Branding) CRS-5000
    Technics RS-686DS

Cassette2go likes this.
  19. Cassette2go

In my computer I bought, I show that I bought this ( Marantz PMD-430 ) and I remember seeing it briefly in my previous living? place. Then I moved to live with mother in oct 2016 and there are a few box's that I have yet to get to, to unpack as I am fairly certain that it may be in there - but I just have too much stuff as I just now am finishing another repair of the 3rd rx-5100 but that is another story.
    Thank you for that list. James

Mister X likes this.
  20. Mister X

It's definately the smallest three head in that group, maybe of all. Good luck finding it, I know how you feel except my stuff is more mid-level that I was given or cost a few dollars and not the rare high-end stuff you have.

Cassette2go likes this.