Signed Beatles musicassette?

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by walkman archive, Oct 14, 2019.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

This friday started the International Disco Fair at Barcelona, like every year, and I went to see which vinyls and cassettes I could find. It's a nice fair, though expensive as you have to pay 6€ to enter, no matter if you buy or not.

Fira disc BCN 01.jpg

After some searching I found some, though it wasn't easy:

Fira disc BCN 02.jpg

Finally I bought these ones for less than 3€ each:

Fira disc BCN 10.jpg

There are two with ‘dbx system’ which is something I've never seen before:

Fira disc BCN 11.jpg

Fira disc BCN 21.jpg

Fira disc BCN 22.jpg

Fira disc BCN 23.jpg

To my surprise I quickly realized after a few seconds of playing that they aren’t dbx-encoded! They are just normal tapes. So fake dbx.

Another tape comes in a self made paper bag in one that makes it look like a album mockup by ‘killers’:

Fira disc BCN 13.jpg

Fira disc BCN 18.jpg

It sounds well but I cannot figure out more about it. If you have any information about this tape or this band, please contact me.

Another curious thing is that one of the Beatles tapes appears to be Dolby C-encoded! I’ve never seen such thing.

FKZJ5353.jpg

After playing it I can say it sounds well with Dolby C and seems to be real.

But the most exciting one, by far, is this one:

Fira disc BCN 24.jpg

Not just because it was made on '61 (not the cassette but the recording):

Fira disc BCN 17.jpg

but because when I opened I found this signature in the J-card, which left me almoss breathless... is this a Beatle's one?

Fira disc BCN 03.jpg

A search for signatures in Google show me that it's not from a Beatle, so whom then? It should be someone involved in this recording. After some careful looking to the J-card inside, I found this outside:

Fira disc BCN 26.jpg

Tony Sheridan! Who is that guy? A search in the Wikipedia and I quickly learnt that he was an important person to the band. Then I searched for his signature and... voilà! This is his signature:

Fira disc BCN 19.jpg

Now compare both. Match, huh? Yeah, not a straight match but it's definitely him. So, yes, I got a very early cassette signed from a man who inspired the Beatles!

As you can imagine, I am so happy for that. I've never found such thing.

Bonus: the cassette sounds pretty well!

Attached Files:

Silverera, Jorge, Mister X and 2 others like this.
  2. Sly.

Sly. Active Member

Killers is a band by Paul Andrews, also known as Paul Di'Anno. If I recall correctly he was Iron Maiden's first vocalist for I believe two albums before the current and well-known one took over.
    The tape you found is from 1994 and their second album according to my quick research. Looks like you found a hometaped version, certainly not an official release at least. :)

And congratulations on the great finds! :D

Mister X likes this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Congratulations on the Beatles tape. I do wonder when he signed it though. It could have been 2004 like the Wikipedia photo.
    I have been to both Hazel O Connor and Toyah concerts (at small venues) where they have gone to the concert hall entrance at the end of the concert to sign any memorabilia fans bring along. A very nice gesture that makes their fans day.

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Those are interesting finds, DBX, Dolby C and the rest. I found a Scorpions CD that was signed once but they had it made out to a female, kind of a bummer.

walkman archive likes this.
  5. Sly.

Sly. Active Member

@Longman Looking at the differences between the writing style (very likely still the same person), I guess there was some time between these. His V and S changed. But I don't do graphoanalysis so don't take my word for it. It's just the impression I get that something's "too different" for it to be from the same time and naturally handwriting does change over time. We're no static beings and improve and modify our writing technique after all. :)

6. UlfrikTB

UlfrikTB New Member

Could be a promo cassette. Seen a few that look like that.

Sly. likes this.
  7. Longman

There appears to have been three distinct releases of the Album https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles'_First 1964, 1967, and 2004. I wonder if you can work out which one yours is. Reminds me of a CD I bought by Patrick Hermadez. Naturally his backing singer Madonna Louise Ciccone got a big mention on the cover.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  8. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

The 1st "dbx system" cassette looks very much like a typical Indonesian release from the 70's to 80's. Not familiar with the label though (Supreme).

This quite confirms my suspicion on the local releases. There are a lot of these "dbx system" cassette around and they all sound just fine in any player. I also finding it odd that there were so many, considering that dbx-equipped decks are relatively rare.

Putting good faith on the pirate labels, I'm guessing perhaps they meant system as in it's produced using a dbx system higher up the production process. They way most local labels work back then, was that they'll record original vinyl into a "master" reel tapes which is then copied into several reel copies which will then be rerecorded onto blank tapes using individual decks. Could some dbx equipment perhaps be inserted into that production flow?

9. walkman archive

Thanks for the info Sly. I've searched in the wikipedia and you're right. The album is from 2003, though.

Hmm, that makes sense.

Ahh, that's what I was thinking of, but could not find the right word for it. Makes sense as the labelling seems not home made.

I've digged once more and found that it was added to the artists register in Spain in '88. So it's from '88 or maybe '89. It was likely signed in a concert in those years here in Spain.

From @Ken80s I see that they were common there. Very curious.

stuck-in-time likes this.
  10. walkman archive

Ok, I think I found it. Tony sheridan came to Barcelona for a concert in december '89, so it's very likely to be signed then.

[​IMG]

Sly. likes this.
  11. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

I bought a 1999 remaster of the classic 1969 King Crimson album In The Court of the Crimson King. When I opened it I found the CD had been signed by all of the band members including Robert Fripp!
    How this CD ended up in retail is a mystery but I am happy to have it.
    Might put it on eBay :)
    20191020_094858.jpg

Sly. likes this.
  12. Longman

There is a connection in this thread you might not be aware of. Since 1986 Robert Fripp has been married to Toyah. The only standalone Toyah concert I have been to was in Robert's home town of Wimborne (not far from here). She certainly put on a good show maybe because Robert and his sister (who had come over from the USA) were in the audience.

At one of the more usual Best of the Eighties concerts that Toyah was performing at I bought a DVD of one of her previous concerts.
    Although she was presumably getting ready for the concert she had signed every copy that was on the merchandise stand.

Maybe they have a competition as to who can sign the most items. If not they both have a similar philosophy regarding signing stuff.

Toyah in concert and, getting ready to sign some merchandise after her Wimborne concert.
    Having enjoyed the concert I took a couple of photos and went home
    Toyah in concert.JPG Toyah.JPG

Silverera likes this.
  13. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Well. There was more I didn't post in my original thread. Robert's sister who was on my LinkedIn contact list suggested I email him about the CD. I did and got a reply from Middle England from Robert but unfortunately he had no idea how my CD ended up being in the retail stock. My guess is they sign so many CD's they lose track of even the milestones like the 30th anniversary remaster.
    Anyway the CD is genuine and one of signatures has bled through the CD label print to the reading side and it skips as a result. You can't have everything I guess :)

14. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

My other observation is that Killers cassette is definitely a BASF Chrome II retail cassette. Wouldn't it be nice if all prerecorded tapes came on something like this instead of bulk loaded and high speed dubbed type 1 tape.
    What I have experimented with recently is blocking the erase holes on some pre-recorded cassettes and recording the original vinyl over what was there before. The tape in most cases is still good to go and you get a way better analog result with your own equipment and of course everything else, the j-card, art work and track labeling is still as it should be.

15. walkman archive

You can use another one to play and this one only to show...

Some are of so bad quality that are closer to sandpaper than magnetic tape, and I won't put them into a good deck. But others are pretty good.
    I've re-recorded some of my old mixtapes that I made in the 80s and 90s with my boombox then (it was an Hitachi 3d until '91) using vinyl and one of my 3-head decks, so the music is exactly the same, but the quality is much higher. It's fun.

Silverera likes this.
  16. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Way better burning a few hours on this passtime than Facebook :)

walkman archive likes this.