Sony M-50 Micro Cassette Walkman

Discussion in 'Gear you want' started by Archerg, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Archerg

Archerg New Member

Hi,

Thank you to whoever is taking the time to read this. As you might notice from my previous forum post, I'm a University student with an avid love for walkmans. One format escapes me however, and to my knowledge the only officially branded Walkman for Microcassette is the M-50, which there is no information on it whatsoever. No manuals, no abundance of photos, no listings anywhere in last several months. My question to all of you is: does anyone have an abundance of extra models or m-50s you no longer need? Of not, does anyone at least have a manual they can scan in for information purposes? I'd be absolutely over the moon, and it would really be great, as it's go to a good home where it would be appreciated and displayed properly. Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Gavin

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Good luck, this is a unicorn model, I'm not sure of what year it came out but this one sold last year in the UK for over 800 pounds. I went through a bunch of old Sony Catalogs and didn't see it.

RARE-Vintage-SONY-M50-Microcassette-Walkman.jpg

A O and mrp32Dave might be the only members that have the model and both of theirs are boxed, one might have been the above model but you might want to PM them. The ripped box looks like the one A O has in the microcassette thread. I think your right, this is the only Walkman Stereo Microcassette Player, the others, M-1PD, M-1000, M-80 and the other unicorn, the M-1000B don't say Walkman on them.

3. Archerg

Archerg New Member

Wow, I had no idea Sony made a variation of the m-1000 exclusively marketed toward bird watching. The more you know! And I'll hit them up, at least for a scan of the service manual if anything

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if you saw my thread from awhile back, I bought what I thought was another Sony M-1000 Microcassette Player but it was the super rare B model, it has a hint of brown coloring. As a kid in the 70's the funnest things to do with portable recorders was recording sounds, outside of TV and Radio we didn't have a way to replay sounds. For us farting, burping and recording hit songs off the radio was magical, for the more intelligent, recording bird songs was a big hobby. The Japanese had a ton of equipment made just for recording outside sounds. We take it for granted now that most sounds are a few clicks away.

http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/birding-liveland-found.3478/

5. Twopotjock

Twopotjock Member

It was in the UK Spring 1983 catalog, which by pure coincidence is one of the few I still have, I just unearthed it a few days ago. Might come as little surprise I have all three of those, M1PD, M50 & TCM-R2. That's just given me an idea :thinking:

20200529_213926.jpg

Mister X likes this.