Sony WM-DD9 pinch rollers

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Honomo, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Honomo

Honomo New Member

91C94C9F-08F7-40B6-8A9C-06F408A8B498.jpeg 6BD9C0AB-596A-4182-88A9-5D23E3D387B6.jpeg 8544F541-925B-4560-A6B0-9A5EC06013EE.jpeg Hello, i have bought this nice walkman a few months ago. Just 1 day before COVID quarantine started in my country. The seller didn’t know anything about it. She didn’t have cassettes to test it. She was advertising it as “journalist tape recorder”....:eyepopping:. It was a nice project for the days to come.
    It was cheap and it seemed to be in good shape in the pictures. I bought it and started the tests. The battery’s door was stuck, someone tryed to open it with a screwdriver and hurted the edge of this door, there were some missing screws, it wasn’t playing the tape, but the motor made noises when i inserted the AA battery. I found out the belts where too old, and a long screw that holds the reverse motor in place was loose. Changed the belts, did some adjustements and it worked! But the w&f in the reverse mode is irritating. In the foward mode is ok, near factory specs. After an inspection, i realized there was a grove in the reverse pinch roller, probably made by the capstan keept in the same position for years.
    And here is my problem. I tried to buy a new pinch roller in ebay (something like 4.9 u$s), but the shipping is u$s 25!!!! I think it is too much money too take the chance for now. I think the one selling in ebay is the same guy that owns FIXYOURAUDIO.
    This place called FIXYOURAUDIO, sells the pinch roller (€4.9 + € 5 shipping).
    So i have 2 questions:
    1- Do you know this site? I think his owner is in this forum... have anyone tried shippings during this
    COVID problem? I’m afraid it won’t ever get to South America....
    2- I like this option better than the previous one: Does anybody know if i can get the pinch roller from another cheaper unit? A compatible one i mean, maybe a unit i can buy here in my country (Argentina) just for a few bucks? So I don’t have to wait 2 months... and even sometimes international shipments do not arrive at all... it happened to me before...
    Thank you very much for your help!!
    I leave you some pics from the unit...

cheers
    Rodrigo

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  2. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

I still don't have my hands on this ... and I'm happy to see it open….:applause:hmmm

yes even with the closure of the covid shipments arrive ... take longer

Honomo and Machaneus like this.
  3. Honomo

Honomo New Member

Thank you Silver! And it sounds excellent!

The problem would be that if it takes longer to arrive to Europe, it may take a lifetime to arrive to South America....:nonoplease ...if it arrives at all...
    ...thats why i was wondering if i can get this pinch roller from another cheaper unit available in my country...:shrug:

4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

The site you are referring is very safe and reliable. you can also send him private message and get direct help from him.

Honomo and Machaneus like this.
  5. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Yes he is @mihokm here , I think if you send him a PM he may be able to to tell you with certainty what models (if any) may be compatible.

That middle picture.... If I'm not mistaken it was Ferdinand Porsche who said :" if a machine looks good then it is good !"

Edit :Well Boodokhan posted while writing this but yes that's the way to go.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Honomo likes this.
  6. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Yes the seller is on here and i have bought parts for my DD9 from him in the past, get the parts from him and swallow the postage he's parts are good.

7. Honomo

Honomo New Member

Thank very much for your help, i didn’t knew his username here, but in his Web page i found a way to contact him too. Thanks!

I agree! I’m really amazed by its quality...

8. Honomo

Honomo New Member

Ok, just for the record, i finally ordered a pair of pinch rollers from fixyouraudio.com. After solving a payement problem (as always, my country’s fault: government blocked paypal for all of the citizens of Argentina), the package arrived quickly (about 20 days) home. The pich rollers are good quality. Thank you Marian!