looking to restore an Aiwa HS-G35, advice on repro labels

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by syndicalex, Jul 12, 2020.

1. syndicalex

syndicalex Member

Hi all, I've got an Aiwa HS-G35 in silver but the case is extremely scratched with lost of paint missing. My intention is to respray it so it resembles the red model, since it's too far gone to save anyway.

I was wondering if any of you have had success with decals or stickers which you print yourselves when it comes to lettering. I need to somehow repro the auto reverse and EQ lettering. I think I would need to spray the sticker with laquer to stop the ink running (I have an inkjet printer)

Can you give me any advice on font, favoured application etc? I've attached a reference image.

[​IMG]

2. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

You could experiment with printable A4 transparent vinyl self adhesive stickers. I found them on Amazon. I plan to use something like this to reproduce the window on my Sony WM-30.
    I don't have any experience of using it. I agree that you'd probably need to apply lacquer afterwards. I also remember seeing a YouTube video on restoring model toy cars and they printed their own decals / stickers but I don't know what products they used. Google "making decals for models".

3. syndicalex

syndicalex Member

Thanks, I was thinking to use printable water slide decals but I think they work best with LaserJet printers. So I reckon stickers with laquer. When are you planning to do your wm-30 then?

I don't suppose anyone has a scan or a vector somewhere of the EQ logo and the auto reverse text?

4. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

I won't be starting for a few months when I have access to a laser printer.

5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Just don't do it :lollegs: , Use it the way it is
    and i tell you why
    I have some experience spraying/ painting the walkmans to customize them the way i like it. I have done this with different models. currently I am working on a WM-W800 but this might take few month since I need to gain more knowledge.
    I have 2 red G35 and one silver and I love the look of this walkman. AIWA used good capacitors in this model that why most of the G35 are still in working condition.

Spraying on plastic requires a lot of practice.

Now if you decide to do it follow these steps:
    you need to practice on 5 (at least) different cases before even thinking on spraying on this one.
    The best way to do it is to ask a shop with airbrush paint ability to do the job but for this small job they might charge you about $350-$500.
    acrylic part must be separated before applying any type of paint.
    once the part are painted place acrylic back.
    I do not recommend the sticker of any type except Sony logo, So to print the EQ logo and "Autoreverse" you need to take it to a shop with flatbed UV printer.
    If your acrylic part is damaged follow my topic on "printing on acrylic" to see the steps.

Machaneus and mattb1970 like this.
  6. syndicalex

syndicalex Member

Thanks, I wonder if I should just paint it and forego the lettering, here's a picture so you can see how bad it is. Will know more when it arrives!

Attached Files:

7. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

It might not be so bad after a good clean up. I've owned one of these since new and the paint is a bit worn through in places but it looks period correct. The chrome still looks shiny on yours. It's a good player even if it lacks Dolby, but these things just look so 80's and cool with the 45 degree graphic equaliser controls in the door.

8. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Hello! I happen to have the vectors for these graphics, here they are.

Personally, though, I'd keep the walkman as it is. Kinda adds bit of character and I don't think it's too badly damaged. Still looks quite nice overall.

Attached Files:

Machaneus and Boodokhan like this.
  9. syndicalex

syndicalex Member

Ah wow, thanks for the vectors! I need to see it in the flesh really, I think it may arrive today!

10. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

I'm still looking for vectors or artwork for my WM-30 window, if anyone has them?

11. stuck-in-time

You're welcome! I'm trying to make digital illustrations of my entire collection, and I try to be very faithful to the original graphics.

Now that I've checked again, it looks like the S on the Auto Reverse isn't quite the same, though. I'll try to update that this weekend.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  12. stuck-in-time

I think I have these as well, I'll have to check first.

mattb1970 likes this.
  13. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

Thanks, that would be great. My attempts to draw the graphics have been unsuccessful.

14. syndicalex

syndicalex Member

Well it arrived and here it is with it's younger brother. I'm in two minds about painting it now, given that the equaliser panel is probably not fixable, so even if I made the main body look nice, the equaliser would let it down. I'll think on it though. It sounds great actually, but will look to change the belt anyway.

Attached Files:

RTB, stuck-in-time and mattb1970 like this.
  15. stuck-in-time

Here are the graphics for the WM-30. While I'm at it, I decided to tidy it up a little and make all the variants.

Attached Files:

Silver965 and mattb1970 like this.
  16. stuck-in-time

And this is the updated Aiwa Auto Reverse vector with the corrected S. I don't know if you still need it or not, though.

Attached Files:

Silver965 likes this.
  17. syndicalex

syndicalex Member

Perfect, I think I will do it, so thanks very much!

18. syndicalex

syndicalex Member

Just a question on scale, just wondering if you can give some insight into how you would set up a printer to print the right size?

19. stuck-in-time

You're welcome!

But, sorry, I think I can't give any real advice regarding printing as I haven't done any myself. Perhaps @Boodokhan can give advice on that, since he's done some windows already. I'd imagine that you'd just set up on an empty box the size of the door and place the logo accordingly?

20. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

Stuck-in-time, you are a star, they look amazing! So much better than anything I could have done! Thank you so much for sharing. You even did all those variants too. I'm really looking forward to trying them out but it will be a few weeks before I can get access to a suitable printer. I'll update as soon as I've got something made. You made my day

stuck-in-time likes this.