MURA hi stepper

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Mister X, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

2. Mister X

3. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

Oh... so that's who sold them! Sure explains the year an aunt & uncle gave them as Christmas gifts to all the younger kids in the family.:nwink:

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

I know the feeling, I still remember the price tags with all the square block numbers on them.

5. nickelindimer

I remember my parents being impressed with a Capehart compact stereo with dual 8-track decks, and my brother buying his first stereo--a Soundesign--from the same store later-on. As for myself: a tip from a friend about a $5.00 cassette personal stereo led to my "big" electronics purchase from K-Mart, which served me well... well until I got a used Panasonic AM/FM/Cassette from a local garage sale.

6. Mister X

Yep, Capehart, Soundesign and Fisher All-In-One Stacks killed component stereos as we had known them. It was so bad the new owners of Marantz made a deal with Kmart to sell the new BOTL Marantz there. Mura wasn't bad but it wasn't great, it was priced right, had a marketing campaign and they were more advanced with black casings when most players were silver.

7. nickelindimer

Well, mine was Midnight Blue with a silver bezel around the tuner display... but at least it wasn't like the $5.00 Crown cassette personal stereo I bought: Loosely attached cassette door [that easily got lost] with only stop, fast-forward and play functions... and did I mention?: IT WAS PALE PINK!! And opening the case--to prepare for painting it--revealed the simplest and most-minimal of mechanisms and circuitry I've ever seen in a device, let alone a personal stereo.

Oh, and the Soundesign... it wasn't long before the volume control developed a static problem... with no amount of Deox-It could solve. I still remember sitting on my friend's front-room floor, with it awkwardly between my legs as I attempted replacement of the reostat with a factory-ordered piece... all because I couldn't get the case further apart, and I wasn't comfortable with giving a friend "junk".

8. Mister X

From Stereo Review 1982

I found mine, the build quality isn't bad, they do have a little weight to them.

Screenshot_2020-04-24 HiFi-Stereo-Review-1982-01 pdf.png

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  9. Mister X

Mura, working it in 1981. The small headphones were the key to the Walkman but everyone was quick to copy them.

Mura Headphones 1981.png

10. Mister X

Found another ad, this is for JC Penny, a US based department store that's still (barely) in operation. Mura was really pumping out the headphones, this is the Mura Red Set VII for 1982.

Mura 1982.png

11. Mister X

Mura's Steppin' Out and Sony Walkman II

Mura and Sony.jpg

12. nickelindimer

THAT reminds me of the amplified pair of speakers I got from Radio Shack, for use with my personal devices. One of the channels died and I've been meaning to get it repaired. Especially since I took an old shoelace and made a over-the-neck strap for it, which--sadly--makes it look like a bra on me when worn!:loldiag:

Mister X likes this.
  13. Mister X

Check out the Numark I posted in the mini-boombox section, it sounds like yours. After doing a lot of research, some of the add-on speakers are really nice, I've got a small collection and the builds are top quality with metal enclosures, metal grills and small speakers with huge magnets.

14. Mister X

Mura Red Set III from 1982

Mura Red Set III HiFi-Stereo-Review-1982-10 pdf.png

15. nickelindimer

Oh, the legendary DAK catalog... The first place I learned of CD-ROM, back in '87! And also where I saw a auto-reverse turntable that Techmoan reviewed fairly recently. And also, carriers of the notorious Citizen CBM-1000 CD-player.

Mister X likes this.
  16. Tony S.

Tony S. New Member

I had one of the Mura speaker systems. They are nice but with one big caveat: there is an ‘auto off after some time of silence’ feature. Not good when you are listening to an online stream via iPad/etc. that keeps buffering. The durn Muras would constantly shut off during this period.