Show us your home setup

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by TooCooL4, Dec 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

from 2:00 minuut
    it's the best audio i've ever heard on youtube
    only, i would switch to boulder amps. mbl amps are too dark and haven't enough juice and can't handle the speakers enough. pre amp, perhaps sonosax sx series, oja, R2r studer 700 series or telefunken m15 series. the rest isn't interesting. so, you can 3x level better

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The equipment might be nice but those stands in that video are hideous, I've been searching for something cool looking to put my equipment on, right now it's on some consumer racking but I'd love to find something more tasteful. I love how in the old days it was imbedded into the wood wall, the "stars" had amazing equipment and it was nicely staged.

3. 19lexicon78

i wouldn't choose those also. but i love the sound of all it's components. another one which i prefer, is this one. love the sound of the speakers from kenrick sound

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

5. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...i still have here (centre of germany) a fully working pair of Cabasse Sloop III, if anybody is interested, please let me know, i make a good price, it's important to have them in good hands (they're just to big for me...)

6. 19lexicon78

@misterx
    nice read
    yes, the jbl sound great with jazz, especially vinyl. jbl + emt + studer amp is very very good combo.
    jbl is not fast= so no electronica, no classical. you need mbl for those. i think mbl speakers, boulder amps + sonosax pre-amp= my dream setup
    i agree 100% with the written article
    it's not the 4343. the best is the 4345= it just has got more punch, more body.
    it's like the tc-d5 pro2 vs d6c. the first has more punch, more body, more feeling. iow, more power

7. Mister X

One of my personal photos from a Japanese Audio Store from two years ago. I don't own any JBL's but they sure sound good. The little JBL's on the left are in just about every retail store, they went for around $700 USD a set. Manhatten Records had some 4350's, they threw on some Beastie Boys Vinyl (Japanese Pressing) and it sounded great. It must have taken a forklift to get those speakers up to the ceiling.

Most of the installations are concrete rooms, maybe the JBLs help with the harshness of the environment?

DSCN1439.JPG

Radio Raheem likes this.
  8. 19lexicon78

don't go for the new jbl's. those are china made.
    only the old jbl pro series which are made in de USA. forget the rest
    to bad jbl isn't the brand which it's has be in the 80's and before.
    these days, only audio from europe, and some brands made in the US. =boulder
    also, forget about studer=harman.
    swiss has still great companies=sonosax i dont know about nagra
    oja, always want an ikeda arm=japan

Mister X likes this.
  9. 19lexicon78

want this one, besides boulder amps
    [​IMG]

Mister X likes this.
  10. Mister X

I had to look that up 19lexicon78, very nice. I've been looking for a little mixer to have fun doing garage band stuff with my friends but it's a little out of my budget.

11. 19lexicon78

sometimes, you may be lucky and get a older sonosax. the sonosax is one of the best locationmixers in the market. always wanted one of these for my home audio-setup

12. Mister X

I've got 1/2 an eye open for some more band equipment, we had a blast at NOAH in Japan renting a studio just to play and it was only like $80 USD for 1.5 hours, instruments included! I don't remember what the mixing panel was but you could pretty much rent anything from them that wasn't already in the room.
    https://www.studionoah.jp/

13. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

I haven't got all those towers, just the one!, I've just added a 'new' turntable but it hasn't got a dust cover/lid, any chance of obtaining this part?, I've been told it's unobtainable but I refuse to accept that anything is unobtainable. A few years ago I managed to get hold of both of UFO's first two albums on the original Beacon label, I was told these were 'unobtainable' in the 1980s, they came out in 1970 and 71.

Anyway, the lid is this shape only about 3.5" wider (second picture). The turntable is the Kenwood KD66F Direct Drive Fully Automatic Turntable. The rest of the tower is Kenwood except the Pure DRS 701ES DAB tuner which is the same colour so it blends in. The first picture shows the whole tower with an aforementioned rare UFO album.
    Kenwood Hi-Fi Tower with Pure DAB tuner and UFO LP.jpg

Lid of Kenwood P71 turntable.jpg

autoreverser and Mister X like this.
  14. Mister X

I think I have that turntable out in the shop with the cover. Nice albums, I've never heard the really old UFO or seen those albums in the wild.

You can fab up you own cover depending on the tools you own. Find a sheet of 1/8" polycarb or acrylic, cut to size and glue it up with the right solvent, there's a ton of YouTube Videos showing the process. The plastic can be cut with wood-working tools or the place you buy it from might cut it for you for an added charge.

15. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Would that be "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk on the turntable? View attachment 562

The turntable you see in the second picture is a 13" (midi) Kenwood Computer-Controlled Linear Tracking Turntable P71, I'll probably sell that, the one I'm using now is on top of the tower in the first picture which needs a dust cover/lid.

By the way, "Flying" on UFO II is the longest track in my collection lasting nearly half an hour (26:30), four minutes longer than Autobahn which I've also got.

16. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

thanks, Big Bad John for bringing us back to the basic !

nice setup, sorry i can‘t help you with a lid for the turntable :applause

17. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Ha!, you and the rest of the world, thought I'd put it out there just in case.

18. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

Here are two pictures of my home system which I have built up since 1998 or thereabouts Originally, I started off witha Linn Cd /tuner amplifier in one unit called the Classic with a pair of Keleidh speakers with LG1 amps . I then added The Lin Ikemi CD player which I picked up second hand and ,in the last two weeks, I have added a new record Deck to replace an old Rega turntable which is the Linn Sondek 12 Majik

The Majik LP12 comprises of

• Sondek LP12 turntable
    • Aluminium Sub-Chassis and Laminate Armboard
    • Solid Aluminium Base Board
    • Internal Majik LP12 power supply
    • Majik tonearm
    • Adikt moving magnet (MM) cartridge
    • 45 rpm adaptor
    • T-Kable Phono tonearm cable
    It is possible to upgrade the deck to the top of the range Klimax LP 12 but I will have to save more pennies to do that and I man not have the time left at 71 , here’s hoping .

Attached Files:

Jorge likes this.
  19. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Nice one Philip Taylor, enjoy.

I just upgraded my turntable with a new motor and power supply, wow it has taken my turntable to a new level. It's like having a new better turntable.

Motor.jpg

Jorge, Philip Taylor and Mister X like this.
  20. Mister X

Now that's cool!