New WM-DD center gear prototype is here (EDIT - final version is here)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by mihokm, Dec 11, 2016.

1. uku005

uku005 New Member

Hello, I don't think this is likely the right place to post/ask my question, but, I'll start here and perhaps someone can direct me to the right place.

In short, I have a nice condition boodo khan w/ original box, headphones etc (collection from a passed family member). that I'd like to "gift" to my husband for his birthday. Everything functions except it's got the clicking that is a well-known issue from cracked gear....

I've found the gear part, rubber capstan ring, small reel gears, etc. that are now available (looks like a long time in the making :)) and I've read through the in-depth tutorial that is available. What a great resource, btw!

I'm usually good at paying keen attention to detail and following directions. But, my fear is I have no knowledge of electronics so I'm super scared of messing up something that causes more problems (especially since other than this issue, the wm is in awesome shape). Before I take any action, I thought this might be a great forum to get some advice on whether or not y'all think I could methodically tackle it on my own being a "newbie" to something like this, or if it would be best to find a tech to take on the work...?? Or, am I better off leaving it in the original condition it's in and not really using it??

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

uku005 it’s not hard to do but if you are not sure, get someone who knows what they are doing to sort it out for you.

If you go in and break something, you could make it worse than it already is. As for not using it, what’s the point of that? Get it fixed and let your husband enjoy using it for it’s intended purpose.

Good luck.

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

1) Is your husband into such gadgets ?

If not I wouldn't bother

2) If he is do you think he, or someone he knows would be better at fixing it ?

If so you could give it him as is, maybe with the replacement gear kit to fit in his own time.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  4. uku005

uku005 New Member

Thanks TooCool4, I agree with getting it fixed vs not using! LOL. In fact, makes me a little sad it's just been in a box for so long. Only because I'm afraid I will inadvertently break something else, I'll look for someone know is more comfortable to fix it. I don't know that I can find anyone local, but, I'll give it a go...

Hi Longman! My husband will really love it! It fits his vibe completely. As for fixing it -- I'd trust myself much more than him ;-) But, given I'm afraid I could break it, I like the idea of getting the parts needed and then perhaps together we can find someone to do the work.

(I'm a little scared that I now want to get into some of these 'older' devices myself. My dad was the stereo/electronics fix it back in the 60's, 70's and 80's and I'm now finding myself very drawn to learn more and start a small collection)

Longman and Boodokhan like this.
  5. agrabois

agrabois New Member

hello everyone
    do you know a person (or is someone in the forum) who has already fixed central gears in france and who could be interested in doing it for others?
    i have a wm f5 whith the typical click and fear i could make more harm than good if i try myself

6. frblaze

frblaze New Member

Bonjour Agrabois
    Je peux vous aider avec votre WM F5 si vous le désirez. Je répare toute la série des DD et aussi d’autres models de Sony, Aiwa et JVC.
    Vous pouvez me contacter en m’envoyant un message perso par ce forum. Je suis de Paris.
    Bien à vous.
    Boris

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  7. agrabois

agrabois New Member

Thanks Boris,
    I send you a PM

8. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Hi

I have just purchased an immaculate DD2 with a faulty centre wheel....
    The unit works BUT it chews my tapes up within seconds...
    Is this a centre gear issue or something else?

9. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Hi. I have had around 20 DD CG's repaired now but none had chewed tapes prior to doing the CG replacement. I suspect the problem will be to do with pinch roller or the take up spool gear. Not sure if all DD's have a small reel gear like the D3 but that one is notorious for failing. Without a cassette in the DD you should be able to see if the take up spool is working correctly. If so try testing with something like a short run head cleaning cassette. These place light tension on the take up spool. If it works then you may have to do some other investigation when the unit is apart to do the CG.
    Hope this helps but there are a few possible causes of the fault you have.

10. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Hi Silverera

Thank you for the info. The seller kindly gave me a partial refund so all I need to do now is find someone in the UK to bring it back to life......

Any takers?

Silverera likes this.
  11. tomtom87

tomtom87 Active Member

for people that have issue's when ff with a new gear, change is big that you have a cracked plastic on the back of the chassis assy. In this plastic turns claw assy reel (see picture), most of the time I manage to glue it back in position again but it has to be perfectly aligned. Also its important not to use to much glue because then the steel plate does not fit the plastic holder anymore

1AD981C4-0F71-413D-9BC1-91AC48487C11.JPG

ML4949 and autoreverser like this.
  12. Alim

Alim New Member

Im curious to know why does this particular model suffers from cracked gears? Ive seen a a lot of unit being sold cheap due to this. Im becoming a bit concerned about my WM-3. How do I avoid gears from cracking?

13. tomtom87

tomtom87 Active Member

This is all been written in the repair manual from Marian

14. ML4949

ML4949 New Member

Hi there,
    Those gears crack because they needed to be made of plastic that was both tough and flexible. With the years, they shrunk because of temperature changes and could not withstand the pressure of the rigid metal they’re affixed on. There’s no DD with center gear that still has its original center gear that I know of. So I’m afraid there’s no way to keep them from cracking.
    I’d love to hear some members with more experience than me to object, please. :(

15. matic777

matic777 Member

Only DD models suffers from this, your WM-3 is safe

Alim likes this.
  16. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

somebody selling DD central gear kit (exactly the one designed by Marion) on ebay.
    anybody know this seller? there is different solution/ gear offered on Ebay but this one specifically is exactly the one @mihokm designed. If this guy i Marion's agent/ proxy , then there is nothing wrong with it, otherwise nobody should buy from this guy since Marion spend a lot of time to design the gear and some of us helped to his project.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sony-WM-DD1...221875?hash=item23e61884b3:g:LAAAAOSwD4Ffprjo
    upload_2021-3-18_8-45-36.png

17. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Have you read the description?. Two stainless steel gears. "All you have to do is sandwich your old gear between the two metal ones".
    Your old gear will be cracked anyway with a gap in it. This arrangement is going to be almost double the thickness of the original gear. How would the assembly fit back into the DD?

18. ML4949

ML4949 New Member

Hmmm ... I thought that a metal replacement of the center gear was a bad idea: wears the regular “plastic” gears out.
    That’s why the usual repair kit by Fixyouraudio is made of plastic.

19. matic777

matic777 Member

I think what is meant by "old gear" is the metal part only, without the cracked plastic - I assume, because it looks exactly the same as Marian`s one.

20. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

In fact I remember Marian made the prototype in metal to demonstrate that the gear could be manufactured and would not alter the spec of the DD in terms of wow and flutter. He advised that the metal gear would cause excessive wear on other plastic gears it engaged with and would only be the prototype for an injection moulded plastic replica.

ML4949 likes this.