Greetings, fellow owners of too many large portable radio cassette recorders...

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by jonny, Feb 12, 2021.

1. jonny

jonny New Member

Hi all.

Not 100% sure what I should be writing here, short version I suppose is that my name is Jonny and I own - at least according to my mrs - far too many boomboxes.

Started building up a collection last year, having found (in my parents' attic) the old Samsung that I saved up for and bought some time in 1990/91, aged 7 or 8.

Since then I've built up a collection of 24 boomboxes (plus a mono radio/cassette and a couple of radios), mostly stuff that either holds a bit of nostalgia for me or is otherwise interesting/unusual/attractively styled. Some are mint, a few are rough/defunct and awaiting repair, most fall somewhere in between.

Have enjoyed reading a lot of the threads on here and will no doubt add some of my own in due course.

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Welcome.
    24 is quite a collection.
    We enjoy seeing photos of peoples boxes whether they are a beaten up cheap box taken on a phone or a grail taken in a studio.

WheelyPanamax2 and Jorge like this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Only 24, your doing good, I also like the oddball players, that was a good time for design, anything was legit.

WheelyPanamax2 and Jorge like this.
  4. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Welcome. Let’s see some pics :)

WheelyPanamax2 likes this.
  5. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

... fellow owners of too many large portable radio cassette recorders...

shame, no greetings from jonny to me, i don‘t have too many, i have too little :dramaqueen:

welcome aboard, mate :hi

WheelyPanamax2 likes this.
  6. WheelyPanamax2

WheelyPanamax2 Active Member

Haha love it! I share your affliction. Welcome to the party!

autoreverser likes this.
  7. jonny

jonny New Member

Thanks for the welcome all.

Will get some decent photos of all my 'boxes to post here, most of the pics I have are close-ups of the internals before I take the thing apart!

Did find one good pic of the 5 boomboxes and one radio that live on the shelf above my desk, spanning late '70s (the 2 Fergusons on the bottom shelf) to early '90s (the Samsung top right).

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  8. Longman

I like the silver Ferguson bottom right. Here is another Ferguson in the 1979 Argos catalogue
    Argos 1979.jpg
    £90 back when I was earning about £25 a week.
    Ferguson was a big name in TVs back in the 1970s at least as popular as Philips and probably more popular than Sony which tended to be small and expensive.

Are you familiar with https://retromash.com/argos/ Hours of entertainment for the Retro Window Shopper.

9. jonny

jonny New Member

Oh yes, those old Argos catalogues are fascinating aren't they? Used to love leafing through the "book of dreams" as a kid in the late '80s/early '90s.

Have a look in the Spring/Summer 1980 issue, pages 188 and 189. That lists both of those Ferguson models - the smaller 3T09 (an AKA of an ITT box) at £66.99, and the larger 3T13 (an AKA of the JVC RC-656) at £119.99, as well as a really nice looking Crown at an exorbitant £159.99!

10. Longman

For people who can't be bothered to delve through Retromash here is the picture.
    Argos 1980.jpg
    I have most of the Argos scans and many other catalogues on my computer.

Of course prices were very different back then.
    A couple of years later, for less than one hundred times the price of that Crown you could have bought a house like this
    15K house.jpg
    I'm not sure if it is the exact one but a college friend lived on that road in 1983,
    and his landlord was trying to sell them the house because he reckoned he wasn't making any money from it.