Lasonic TRC-975 restoration

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by carlos2000, Apr 7, 2021.

1. carlos2000

carlos2000 Member

My Lasonic TRC-975 for a complete rebuild. First I need a new power supply unit because it is unfortunately missing.
    Is there a power supply that is easy to get and that is compatible with this device?

I am looking for these parts:
    • Radio board
    • Power supply (original or compatible)
    • Battery compartment cover
    • Knobs for the equalizer, speed, beat/Mode and CD
    • Service manual
    I hope someone can help with parts and tips.

975.jpg

2. carlos2000

carlos2000 Member

I have a question about the power supply unit. I have a Lasonic L30 power supply. Would that be compatible with the TRC-975 or are they completely different power supplies?
    The picture shows the power supply of the L30.

IMG_20210407_221710.jpg

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Do you have schematics ?
    Do both boxes use the same number of batteries ?

If they do the chances are the PSUs will be the same voltage.
    I have to say that looks like quite a small transformer for such as large box.
    More like something you would find in a Mini rather than a Jumbo

4. carlos2000

carlos2000 Member

Yes, the Lasonic L30 is much smaller. I don't think the power supply fits either. In a youtube video I just saw that the power supply from the TRC-931 should also fit.
    I hope that someone has a power supply for me, otherwise I cannot use the device.

5. Longman

If you get stuck you could wire an external supply into the battery compartment. That is what all laptops and many consumer items like Soundbars and even TVs do these days. It is also what I intend doing with my Sony SL-F1 portable VCR, which so far I have only run of a test equipment style bench supply. The PSU I will be using is 12V 2.5A and came with a 300MByte external Seagate hard drive I bought about 15 years ago (the more modern drives only come with a 1.5A supply while the VCR needs slightly more).

If shopping for a supply I would make sure you get one from a recognised brand e.g. F.S.P. or Delta who manufacturers like Dell use. Most of the new supplies on Ebay are of a low standard made by unheard of Chinese manufacturers. We thought it amusing when someone at work spotted some Banggood supplies. I hope they don't live up to their name (although I now realise Banggood is more of a distributor than a manufacturer).

carlos2000 likes this.
  6. carlos2000

carlos2000 Member

Thanks youtube, I found the type designation of the transformer that I need yesterday. It's an L-30 EI-66 110V; 220V / 12V

7. Longman

You realise that the 110V is only required if you wanted to be able to switch the box so you could use it in the USA.
    A 12V output will give about 16.8V when smoothed. How many batteries does the box use ten x 1.5V would give 15V nominal,
    Some boxes do run a slightly higher voltage for more power.

Do you think something like this looks the right size ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EI66-30W...410289?hash=item285b2da6b1:g:Ot4AAOSwMNVbAop1

The part number looks promising.

Surprisingly there are toroidal transformers that are significantly cheaper. Forty years ago you paid a big premium for a Toroidal Transformer. Although they have less materials and perform better they are more labour intensive to make.

Off topic can you think how they are made ? I have seen it done at a local transformer company.

p.s. Do you have the board the transformer connects to ?

8. carlos2000

carlos2000 Member

The transformer on Ebay really seems to have the right part number and would definitely be an alternative to an original transformer.
    Yes, according to the seller, the board where the transformer hangs is still there. But I'll screw up the device for a few days and check whether that's true. If the board is missing it becomes even more difficult to find the right spare part.
    If the board is still there, a transformer like the one on Ebay might really be a good solution.

9. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I have a 975 in the loft i was planning on restoring but will probably never get to, I might considering selling off the parts to recoup some of what i paid.

10. carlos2000

carlos2000 Member

I would buy the parts from you.

11. carlos2000

carlos2000 Member

I need urgent help.
    I unscrewed the 975 today. Since I saw that these two black cables are not connected (see picture 1 and 2). Do the two cables have to be connected or do they go somewhere else? What are these cables for? Can the device be switched on without the cables being connected when I have installed the transformer?
    On picture 3 you can see a black cable going away from the transformer board. Where is the plug where it has to be inserted?

1618478124057.jpg

1618479399048.jpg

1618478163881.jpg

12. carlos2000

carlos2000 Member

The some for the red cable. I don#t know where are the plugs for the 2 cables.

1618480336587.jpg

13. NorthBayEd

NorthBayEd New Member

So on mine that ribbon cable is in tact and continuous so for some reason someone has spliced it at some point on yours. Not sure why and don't know what it does. The red and black wires in pics 3/4 are plugged into the bottom of the top board (where the aux in input is) on the outer right corner. Should be a couple of pins you can see/feel. Hope this helps