Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by David Cadman, May 27, 2021.

1. David Cadman

David Cadman New Member

Hello all, my name is David. I am from the UK. I stumbled on your forum while hunting for a Hitachi 3D Super Woofer, one of which I had in my teens in the mid-80s. I'm pleased to find that there are other people out there interested in this sort of thing. In fact, I have recently progressed to the 80s...my interest previously was bakelite radios from the 1930s to 1950s! I am intrigued to learn where you find some of these 80s boomboxes, especially ones in their original boxes. Amazing finds!

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Welcome. Back in the 1970s and 1980s when things like the Super Woofers were still on the drawing board I used to collect old valve (tube) radios. I think the most I paid was £20 on a Philips Phileta back in 1983 as a finishing college treat to myself. Looking at the prices of them now maybe I should have put the money towards a TPS-L2 or similar.
    Old Radios.jpg
    To answer your question. No I don't know where people find boxed radios, although back in the 1980s I once saw a wartime "Utility Set" brand new in its box !

Just in case newer members haven't seen them have you seen https://retromash.com/argos/ ?
    You will find a few Hitachis in the appropriate years.

Mister X likes this.
  3. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stereo2go David Cadman

Longman
    that link to the Argos catalogue brings back some memories :thumbsup2:

4. David Cadman

David Cadman New Member

Thanks Longman. In recent years I have had Dave Shaw at the Vintage Radio Repair Shop (www.dabhandradio.com) build a couple of internet radios for me based on Bush DAC90s which are great.

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Welcome David Cadman, feel free to post any of the old equipment you have, a lot of the members love it. I have a few older radios I've picked up over the years, there's nothing better than watching the tubes fire up.

As far as the boxed units, I've picked up a few on ebay over the years but the really nice ones will be in Japan usually more than double the price of an unboxed unit. Several members in your area have posted boot-sale finds, there used to be a lot of them but like the rest of the world, the boomboxes and Walkmans are getting harder to find but they are still out there.