King Of Rarity

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Machaneus, Apr 7, 2018.

1. JK1210

JK1210 Active Member

Thank you, Machaneus!
    I have to say, that I didn't took those pictures from a usual selling catalog.
    Some are taken from a Cassette & Tape Book,
    Others are taken from a Sony Walkman Anniversary Book.

Machaneus likes this.
  2. JK1210

JK1210 Active Member

Converning the "DD-9 Dual" it appears for the first time in the Swiss Sony catalog "Sound & Vision" in 1990. But in the following editions (Sound & Vision 90/91, 91, 91/92, 92, and last time 92/93) it appears in exactly the same way...as a "Dual" with green battery lights. Maybe you're right and they really used a early prototype picture before release date and never changed and cared about that anymore...:)

Sound & Vision 90
    20210416_213842.jpg

Sound & Vision 90/91
    20210416_213931.jpg

Sound & Vision 91
    20210416_214013.jpg

Sound & Vision 92
    20210416_214042.jpg

Sound & Vision 92/93
    20210416_214111.jpg

Patex, Machaneus and Mister X like this.
  3. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Very well spotted JK , it's funny that the girl on the page of Sound & Vision 91 holds the "normal " DD9 version !
    I think the "Dual" edition is different also on the back inscriptions , it seems it lacks the battery power requirements info .
    These pictures are great thanks for sharing !

JK1210 likes this.
  4. JK1210

JK1210 Active Member

Good eyes, Machaneus! The girl remembers me to the girl who made publicity for the first DD version and accessories in the early 80s...
    Maybe it's the same person, just a couple of years older then..!?

Machaneus likes this.
  5. Machaneus

Truth is I tried hard to concentrate on DD9 and not get distracted by her promising look ! :)

JK1210 likes this.
  6. JK1210

JK1210 Active Member

Haha

Machaneus likes this.
  7. JK1210

JK1210 Active Member

You better go on like this :)

Machaneus likes this.
  8. Machaneus

Already did !:D

JK1210 likes this.
  9. Kazman

Kazman New Member

Hi all, a newbie member here...posting a photo of a WM-F30 I have that appears to be unlike all other F30 's that I can find online in that it only has FM and AM Radio reception (no TV). I thought to ask here if you think it may be a rare model, perhaps an early prototype to all the others that came with the TV reception? Thanks for any info you may provide. Cheers :) 2021-05-28_012441.jpg

10. Kazman

Kazman New Member

11. Kazman

Kazman New Member

12. Kazman

Kazman New Member

Hi all, a newbie member here...posting a photo of a WM-F30 I have that appears to be unlike all other F30 's that I can find online in that it only has FM and AM Radio reception (no TV). I thought to ask here if you think it may be a rare model, perhaps an early prototype to all the others that came with the TV reception? Thanks for any info you may provide. Cheers :)

13. Kazman

Kazman New Member

2021-05-28_014758.jpg

Machaneus likes this.
  14. Machaneus

Hello Kazman and welcome to the forum !

First of all you have definitely a rare walkman in your hands and its pristine condition makes it even more rarer , now the big question is how rare it is.

Although being a prototype or limited run can't be ruled out until a couple more identical examples like yours appear somewhere this F30 looks as an alternative to to the "TV" F30s reason being that its FM frequency range from 88 to 108 Mhz is different from the "TV" versions with frequency range 88 to 76 Mhz destined for the Japanese market.

I see you are located in Canada , if you bought it locally chances are that it was a specific model for the Canadian market and maybe some more.
    A quick search on some Sony catalogs from 1984 didn't reveal anything so far but I'll search more.
    Maybe you are luckier than me if you try to search for Canadian Sony catalogs from around 1984.

At any rate a great find and always pleasing when an unusual walkman appears ! :)

15. Kazman

Kazman New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I will do some catalogue searching from this end. Yes the F30 is in pristine condition and it still plays and sounds great.

I'm in the process of downsizing much of my collection so I am interested in learning more about them ( and their current market values :)

Here's a photo of another two just for fun. Not necessarily rarities but cool to own nonetheless. Cheers!

2021-05-21_140153.jpg 2021-05-28_133748.jpg

Mister X and Machaneus like this.
  16. Kazman

Kazman New Member

I found this page in a 1986 Sears Canada catalogue that shows another model black Walkman with AM/FM. I am not sure which model it is as they don't mention it in the ad. I guess they didn't see a need to as those were the days before instant online comparison shopping was available ; -) Anyway, I thought to upload it here as I continue searching.. page0671 (1).jpg .

17. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The TV Band where FM should be is a Japanese oddity which wouldn't make any sense for a product sold outside of Japan.
    88 to 108MHz FM is normal here in Europe.

Regarding your comment about model numbers, large U.K. retailer Curry's has been known to have Canon cameras "exclusive to Curry's" presumably to stop price comparisons, which would cause Canon grief from other retailers who offer a price match guarantee.

Silver965 likes this.
  18. Kazman

Kazman New Member

Thanks for the reply.

2021-05-28_012441.jpg 2021-05-29_022318.jpg

Interesting too how the placement of the 'Dolby NR' logo went to the top right in a bright red font and was replaced with a large FM/AM by the "WALKMAN'. I'm guessing some of the circuitry must be different too without the TV function.

Mister X likes this.
  19. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

20. Kazman

Kazman New Member