Some of My discman collection

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by kent, Jan 10, 2019.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker New Member

What is this CD player? It looks cool and would be perfect for my desk.

[​IMG]

Jorge likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Mister X, Emiel and Valentin like this.
  3. The Shocker

The Shocker New Member

Jorge likes this.
  4. Thomas Monteith

Thomas Monteith Active Member

As ever,Kent never fails to disappoint with his collection.
    I am dumbfounded by the sheer quality of the discmans and portable cd players.

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Plus the guy has great photography skills and this equipment makes great subjects. I wonder if he's added to his collection, there has to be some "holes" in it?

There are some newspaper ads for the Toshiba XR-P9 down below, Toshiba also had the XR-J9, it lays flat on the table and looks like it has more internals but they are very similar in looks. The XR-J9 might have been more popular over here, I've seen them but never the XR-P9.

Thomas Monteith likes this.
  6. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

I bought a Toshiba XR-J9 from a charity shop for £10 a few years back out of sheer curiosity! It's a neat player and sounds pretty good. When I can get to it, I'll add some photos...

7. LIVO

LIVO Active Member

8. Timewarp

Timewarp Active Member

Hi Kent, another superb collection, so nice.

We share a lot of discman models it seems, I have many of these too but not as many boxed ones.

I do have a 100% new boxed D-Z555 though, brand new and never used and even the box is in excellent shape. Maybe only one of very few in the world left. I also like my D-88 a lot, it's so adorable, I have a mint one but without the box. I will post some pictures later.

Every time I see pictures of your outstanding collection, I appreciate that you cherish these devices like that. Keep up the great work.

Cassette2go likes this.
  9. Timewarp

Timewarp Active Member

By the way, I also have a CDP-101 and it reminds me of how Sony and Philips worked together on the Compact Disc standardization, then raced to launched the 1st model.

Which Sony basically won with their CDP-101, Philips was not ready yet. Out of courtesy Sony decided to launch the CDP-101 in Japan only initially. I also like how these first CD players use only one DAC internally, as DAC chips were very new and expensive. So they multiplexed the left and right channels continuously instead.

The CDP-101 is an impressive device by itself, and mine is still working very well. The only repair it needed was for the capacitive touch buttons, the flex inside detoriates. After 40+ years the rest still works fine, incredible.

Emiel and Cassette2go like this.