Discman D250 Candidate for Repair

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Silverera, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Thinking of acquiring a D250 so the go to guy to ask is @Jorge

I know this Discman is rated as a top sounding example. If you come across a Discman that powers up, spins but won't play the disk and shuts down I usually find it has components on the PCB, usually caps, that have failed or even lost their surface mount adhesion and dropped off the board entirely. Common with the D66 I have for spares. I guess this fault may also indicate a problem with the Laser assembly itself. My question is if it is the Laser are their other cheaper models that could act as source of a replacement?
    Cheers

Jorge likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Silverera - since you handled D-66, the worst case imaginable, D-250 will be a pleasant surprise for you
    D-250 is a Perfect candidate for revival! Not a single SMD electrolytic, only five in total electrolytics actually, and they all still solid. No alkalines to be left inside to ruin the board, nice and easy layout to 'unfreeze' stuck MiddleGear.
    @Valentin put an excellent tutorial here:
    SONY D-250 middle gear lubrication/replacement

The only risk nowadays is that most Discmans sold 'for parts' on eBay had been messed by previous owner. You can tell this right away by stripped screws - folks do not bother getting JIS screwdrivers
    Ae you using the right screwdriver for your walkman/deck?

Valentin and Boodokhan like this.
  3. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Thanks @Jorge. Sounds like they are worth the effort. Could even be that middle gear issue. I'll study the tutorial @Valentin.
    Regards
    B

Jorge likes this.
  4. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Looks like this is the gear referred to by @Jorge and many thanks @Valentin for that guide on how to dismantle the D250. Part ordered still negotiating with the seller on the D250. Wanted to see the condition of the battery compartment and those case screws to be sure I'm getting something repairable.
    Cheers
    B Screenshot_20210908-095531_eBay.jpg

Jorge and Valentin like this.
  5. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Updated. Purchased the D250 as it looks very clean and was cheap. My electronics engineer tech contact should be able to get it up and running and will replace that middle gear regardless of its discoloured condition once the unit has been dismantled and inspected.

Jorge likes this.
  6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

if original 'middle gear' is still solid, I suggest do NOT exchange it for the 3-D printed gear: just soak it in Windex or some detergent. Since you are paying to your 'tech guy' anyway, ask him to substitute 100uF h/p coupling electrolytics (C109 and C209) for 200uF Nichicons (or go crazy and buy 200uF Black Gate caps while you still can!!... you won't know it, but it WILL make a difference!...). No need to worry about caps in power supply, they are still solid. For the best Sound Quality use batteries or 9V Linear power supply.

here is my D-250 with Black Gate caps:
    L1090051.JPG

Almost forgot - Congratulations!!! D-250 is an awesome Discman!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  7. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Ah. Thanks @Jorge. Great tips. I'll check a source for those 200uf Black Gate caps. Always use batteries in my Discmen even the D350 with a 3D printed adapter that takes 2 X 3.7V in parallel Lithium rechargeable batteries.
    Cheers
    B

Jorge likes this.
  8. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

20191112_141408-262x328.jpg @Jorge I have looked around for the Black Gate electrolytics but they seem hard to find.
    The closest I got to the spec was a 220uf 100V cap as shown but it's out of stock.
    If you know of a supplier I might buy while I can. The reviews on these is pretty compelling. Not cheap though.

Jorge likes this.
  9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

no, 100V cap won't even fit inside D-250 case ;) You need small 220uF/4V caps, 6.3mm Dia x 8mm H
    [​IMG]

A few years ago Audio Note developed Kaisei range of electrolytics, but even they did not go all the way to Black Gate production protocol:
    220uF 100Vdc KAISEI Snap-In, Audio Note Electrolytic Capacitor

220uF/4V Black Gate caps still available from eBay: www.ebay.com/itm/224283061569 or from HiFiCollective

most techno-oriented folks agree that modern Rubycon caps have better specs than their old Black Gate line; I auditioned them side-by-side in lowly D-90 Discmans and liked Black Gate caps better. Nowadays I switched to Nichicon 220uF/4V UMW line because they look pretty :p
    D-350 mainboard recapped with Nichicon UMW electrolytics:
    P1080254.JPG

Valentin likes this.
  10. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Ha. I thought these would be way over spec but my search did not find any 4V ones. They are less expensive too so I will order from the eBay seller and hold as spares.
    BTW that D350 recapped board looks superb.

Jorge likes this.
  11. DJDesign

DJDesign New Member

Does anyone know where to find a D-25 battery cover???

12. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

If you find a source please let me know. The one I have will not latch. That plastic clip has broken. It is common with other Discman models but not exactly the same. It is held in place by a single 00 size Phillips head screw other models purchased for spares may be your only alternative. I doubt there is a 3D printed version available.

Jorge likes this.
  13. DJDesign

DJDesign New Member

I may have to make one. If I'm successful, I'll let you know.

Jorge likes this.
  14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

the only other Discman which has the same batt cover is D-15, so your options of getting one for ~$20 are limited. You may contact my 'neighbor' from AZ: she sells as lindelli or gralelli on eBay. When I need some unobtanium Discman parts, I contact Linda! Last month I bought from her EBP-3 battery holder for my restored Sony D-4, I bet the only one sold (separately or with D-4) over the last year

For your personal use that door is not even needed, just attach Sony CPM100 or CPM203 antivibration plate to make it look good. DIY is an option, but resale value won't be much higher, plus unlike Walkmans battery gondolas, market will be very limited. There is more un-salvageable/fried D-15/25 than Discmans with missing parts. I agree with @Silverera that the best option is to buy broken D-15/25 for ~100 off eBay and sell it for ~$50 w/o batt cover

Two types of this cover: with painted or with embossed triangle, they are interchangeable.

Valentin likes this.
  15. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

I thought as much. Not going to remove the clip on my D350 to fit it to this dud D250 battery cover. Thank you @Jorge for the tip on "unobtainism" from Linda. I shall make contact.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021