Walkman Designers

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Machaneus, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Furthermore, in the overview image posted above, there are some lines dedicated to the DD33 and the iconic WM-2 design.
    This design, combined with the metal housing introduced in the WM-5, would be the base for the signature DD series, except for the curvier DD9 and DD33 near the end of the line.
    Joe Wada is the designer of the DD33, as is also stated on these pages.

I won't quote but summarize, since you can read it its entirety yourself, end of column 3 and first part of column 4:
    Under supervision of Morita, the WM-2 was designed by Kaoru Sumita. He largely based it on a concept by Shuhei Taniguchi. Sumita even refers to Taniguchi as the true father of the Walkman WM-2.

About Shuhei Taniguchi
    Born in Hokkaido, joined Sony in 1960, part of design team of Black and Silver design language in the 60s.
    Most notable designs: ICF-5500 Sky Sensor, ICF-SW1 radio and basic design idea for WM-2.
    Goal: design products for elder citizens, creating a new "universal design" to be applied to all products.

About Kaoru Sumita
    Born in Tokyo, joined the Sony Design Center in 1972, main designer of WM-2, Profeel television and Cybershot DSC-F1.
    Goal: "to create good designs."

About Joe Wada
    Born in Tokyo, joined Sony in 1986, responsible for 'Spirit concepts' in 1989, the DD Quartz (DD33),
    MDR-D77 headphones, WM-SX77 Walkman and CDX-99 car CD changer.
    Goal: "to design a tool that one would want to use forever.”

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Valentin and Machaneus like this.
  2. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Congrats for the book !

Great summarize Emiel thanks ! Three designers of great importance : Shuhei Taniguchi , Kaoru Sumita who were responsible for the Sony WM-2 and Joe Wada in my opinion one of the most talented walkman designers ever !

I have lots and lots of files with their work but for now I'll add some key information :

SHUHEI TANIGUCHI
    Shuhei Taniguchi in 1978 designed and awarded for a dictation cassette tape recorder concept with the exterior appearance of what we know today as Sony WM-2 , but he didn't stop there the technical specifications of the concept were even more impressive by any account !

Shuhei Taniguchi b.jpg HANDMEMO (2).png

I bet no one is prepared for this , ladies and gentlemen Shuhei Taniguchi's concept tech spec :

THREE DIRECT DRIVE MOTORS , NON MECHANICAL SYSTEM TAPERECORDER 1978 !
    S.T.b.png

Unfortunately the future that never was for whatever reason .

KAORU SUMITA

As already mentioned by @Emiel Kaoru Sumita took the basic layout and pushed the design even further but Kaoru Sumita calls Shuhei Taniguchi " the real father of walkman two ". Responsible for the exterior design as the mechanism of WM-2 was designed by Mitsuru Ida (back in this thread) .

. Kaoru Sumita.jpg

wm2d.jpg
    More of his work can be found in this thread page 1 .

JOE WADA
    To my knowledge as of at least 2018 Joe Wada was Sony Chief Design Director , for the moment I'm posting two concept walkmans that the good designer designed for us but only design elements found their way to the market in other walkmans .

Joe Wada.jpg

Probably the supposed successor of DD-9 .

protowalkman.gif

The haute couture walkman
    1989-prototype-professional-walkman-1-1enhanced.jpg

On The Beach, Valentin and Emiel like this.
  3. Emiel

Thanks for sharing @Machaneus .
    I believe that "stayter" / "rotar" in 3 motor direct drive memo recorder should read "stator" / "rotor".
    I noticed in some service manuals some translation errors, from Japanese to (phonetic) English.
    One I recall is labeling the "Hall" element as "Hole"; there are many others I can't find that quickly.
    Fire in the hole! Or hall?

From WM-EX606 service manual parts list and schematic diagram:
    upload_2021-10-15_10-17-42.png upload_2021-10-15_10-36-22.png

WM-EX555 parts list and diagram:
    upload_2021-10-15_10-25-17.png upload_2021-10-15_10-37-20.png

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Machaneus likes this.
  4. Machaneus

Hell yeah it's Rotor and Stator ! :devil:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  5. Emiel

@Machaneus : can I conclude from the following paragraph it was Ichiro Hino that designed the WM-F5?
    After this, he designed the My First Sony portables you already posted.
    D1C143C8-83C4-47A7-9B74-0687FE12D997.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
    Machaneus likes this.
  6. Machaneus

Yes that is correct , although I haven't found yet a patent for "The ornamental design for a tape player as shown" , Ichiro Hino is the exterior designer of WM-F5 .

In my introductory post in this thread the first drawing figure posted was the WM-F5 from Susumu Iwasawa
    but as mentioned in that post it concerns :
    "The elastic seal members act to make the exterior case waterproof and dustproof."

Given the opportunity in the attachments is the first page of Susumu Iwasawa's patent and the last page with what is claimed .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Emiel likes this.
  7. Emiel

Thanks @Machaneus . I will update my overview to include both designers for the F5.

Machaneus likes this.
  8. Emiel

I just added the EX911 to Walkman.land, including the full PDF version of the patent. Great mechanism added to my favorite Walkman (EX511/EX618).

Derek marshall and Machaneus like this.
  9. Machaneus

Sony WM EX911 , what a charming walkman and a great team behind its design. Keep up the good work at walkmanland.

Emiel and Derek marshall like this.