My cheap Sony Walkmans

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by CDV, Jan 31, 2021.

1. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

Yes, EX do not have radio, FX does. There is an attempt to figure out Sony's naming convention, at least from 1990 forward: Walkman/Cassette player nomenclature.

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

VWestlife recently made a video about replacement belts.

His conclusion was that there were noticeable inconsistencies in new belts from the same supplier.

Mister X likes this.
  3. Longman

Having been browsing through various Argos catalogues @CDV will like this page from the 1993 Superstore catalogue
    Sony Wlakmans1993.jpg

Whether it was necessary for them to offer the same model, with and without Dolby with only £5 difference in price I don't know.

4. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

^
    Base - 23
    Equalizer - 30
    Radio - 33
    Autoreverse, equalizer, remote with volume control - 35
    Autoreverse, equalizer, Dolby B - 38
    Equalizer, radio, remote with volume control - 40
    Equalizer, radio, Dolby B, remote with volume control - 45
    Digital radio - 50
    Autoreverse, equalizer, radio, Dolby B, remote with volume control - 50

There is no EX19 that I have, which has equalizer and Dolby B.

Still, too many variations. But they did not stop here, instead they made a myriad of other models, which were pretty much the same, but with slightly different face plate and the shade of gray/black. Sony completely diluted its walkman lineup in 1990s.

5. Longman

The next page in the catalogue has the medium price Sony Walkmans starting with the £70 WM-FX40 and ending up with the £80 WM-EX55 or WM-FX43. I don't know if Sony made more expensive models back in 1993 but Argos wouldn't have been interesting in stocking them. Three of the four expensive ones are "Only Available in Superstores" meaning they didn't think there was much demand for them on your average High Street.

You are right about them changing all the models regularly. I found these while looking for my WM-BF49 which it seems Argos never sold, although in 1991 they did have similar looking ones without Dolby or with both Dolby and Autoreverse, with just a £10 difference between those two.

It makes you wonder if Sony was competing with Panasonic for the largest model range. In that 1993 catalogue Sony had 13 tape based models as did Panasonic. Aiwa only had two and are sat between Sanyo and Bush (also just two each) on the same page.

6. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

These all seem to be the ones without screws, being held together with clips, right?
    Can be repaired but with a bit more caution.

7. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

CDV/Emiel. This is the only cheaper Walkman I have. Picked up in a charity shop last year. .ade the mistake of fast forwarding, reminding tape which resulted in the belt(s) going. I think about 1989-1990. Cannot find much information on this model on the net. EX-36 yes but not the EX-34. My brother -in- law ordered a new belt from Marion who sent one belt but have heard that there are two belts. Anyone know please. As you say Emiel no screws so my brother in law not keen on trying to open it up. Sounded quite good when working.

Attached Files:

Emiel likes this.
  8. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

@Derek marshall all these plasticky models made around 1990 to 1999 (give or take one year) use just one belt, and it is the same belt for a single-direction models and for autoreverse models. There is a newer lineup from around 1994 with metal frame, they also use one belt, but single-direction and auto-reverse models have different belts.

Here I am taking one apart to replace the belt. This is a very early model in this lineup, it has black plastic gears, and they have been greased. When I took it apart I saw that the grease all dried up. Later versions have white gears from PTFE or something, they are more slippery, so there is no grease on them.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  9. Derek marshall

CDV. Thank you so much for all the information. The video will be very helpful. May even try myself now.

10. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

I guess the idea is, when you push the inner "claws" in, they should disengage, then you unlock the outer ones. But after opening several of them, only one inner "claw" usually disengages successfully, others keep holding. So you should rather start from the outside, force open one end, keep it slightly open (stick something in the slit), then go in and push those inner "claws", especially the one that is closest to the end you half-opened, and after they click, continue with the outside. Yeah, I broke some of these "claws" (tabs, whatever). I broke two of them, they were nearby on the same side, on one of the walkmans, so had to tape it outside to keep it together :) If you don't care about the looks, but just want to make it work again, I say go for it :)

11. Derek marshall

CDV. Possibly something like bank cards could be used to gently pry the parts open. I have several of those. If a couple get brocken so be it. Just like to get the Walkman working again. Some black insulating tape may be called for. The Walkman is in very good condition considering it was just on a shelf. Nothing else with it but that's no problem. 3 volt aa supply so enough power. I never fast forward/rewind on any of my units, never have. I use my boombox for that. Thanks again for all the useful information.

12. Longman

Thanks for the informative video. I have a WM-FX10 which I need to look inside as the tape isn't working,

The the slightly earlier WM-BF49 which I recently re-belted doesn't appear to much in common with these models. There are no clips inside the cassette door which makes opening easier.

Having three in front of me I noticed something interesting about where they were made.

First WM-BF49 "Made in Japan" moulded into the case

Second WM-BF49 "Made in Taiwan" on a large label where the moulded writing is on the first

WM-FX10 "Made in Malaysia" on a label

I guess they went for wherever was cheapest but still competent at manufacturing.

p.s I just saw Derek's replay. Guitar picks seem to be the wedge of choice amongst many Youtubers. If you think opening these are difficult try opening a Seagate external disc drive. Why open one ? It is often the cheapest way to buy a large disc drive.

13. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

I had a spudger somewhere, but misplaced it, so used a metal screwdriver. Yes, it leaves marks.

14. Derek marshall

These are all taken from the Sony 91-92 brochure. Do not have any of the FX series as I never listened to the radio. The Sony WM-FX673 is i think a later model. Not sure of the year. I think Longman has these models in his Argos brochures.

Attached Files:

MikeWalkman, Valentin and Emiel like this.
  15. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Do you also have page 5 of this catalog?