Digital portables archaeology

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by CDV, Nov 10, 2021.

1. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

Popular Mechanics - November 1999

Download-your-tunes-01.jpg
    Download-your-tunes-02.jpg

Popular Mechanics - July 2001

mp3-makes-the-grade-01.jpg
    mp3-makes-the-grade-02.jpg

Popular Mechanics - February 2004

"You'll be able to try out music for a period of time, and then make a purchase choice. If you haven't paid for the music when the clock runs out, the content disappears." - ha-ha-ha. I never bought DRM-protected files. Never bought anything from iTunes. I pride myself for downloading DRM-free MP3 files.

all-that-digital-jazz-01.jpg
    all-that-digital-jazz-02.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Emiel and Radio Raheem like this.
  2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

I would never pay for mp3 and apple totally suck so I'm in total agreement there buddy

i was given 80tb of mp3 once with a world class gaming pc, i deleted the lot it was just to much

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    CDV likes this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great thread! I loved the first wave of digital, I was finding and discovering bands from the 70's-80's that had largely been forgotten, on Napster, Limewire and all the other download sites. One of the reason I was still into cassettes is that I was digitizing my collection and having a ton of fun doing it. Remember warez sites? You needed some good software to clean up the digital and they always had several but I tended to use Sony Acid the most, the free version had all of the features I needed.

4. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Find attached a Hi-MD brochure by Sony.
    It seems that (in really low quality) one can fit 45 hours of recording on it.
    I just got my first 1GB disc, but I'll stick to the higher quality recordings for now :)

Attached Files:

Valentin likes this.
  5. Mister X

Audio Magazine June 1999

Audio-1999-06 pdf.png

CDV and Emiel like this.
  6. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The editor Michael Riggs was spot on!
    To add, after the quote of Paul Simon (from "The Boy in the Bubble"): "We'll leave the tv and the radio behind.. Don't you wonder what we'll find?".

Mister X likes this.
  7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Showing how quickly things moved on, here are all the MP3 players in the Autumn Winter 2002 Argos Catalogue.
    2002 MP3.jpg
    I don't have a scan of the 2001 catalogue, but the 2000 catalogue has none, just ATRAC playing Mini_Disc players.

These players certainly weren't cheap. The same catalogue has a basic portable CD player for £19.99.
    Of course, when people like my then boss were saying things like "I pay for my internet so why should I pay for my music",
    they could probably show that they were saving money by spending £400 on a 20GByte hard disc based player.

retro and Emiel like this.
  8. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

Michael Riggs did not anticipate exponential increase in bandwidth and storage capacity. A 128 GB SD card costs $20 and it fits about 180 CDs in full Red Book quality. Online streaming over the wire has been at a steady rate of about 128 Kbit/s since late 1990s, there are ShoutCast stations that broadcast to this day. I downloaded tons of good music with WinAmp + StreamRipper. If only I could find the HDD on which I stored it.

Streaming via wireless phone networks was at its low point at 2005-2015, when rates were as low as 30 Kbit/s, but now you can have 320 Kbit/s and even uncompressed Red Book quality. You can even have HiRes if Red Book is not enough for you. To me, 320 Kbit/s is more than enough for any material, but as streamers compete, they increase the bitrate. As long as there is competition, we should be fine.

So his fears about "blasting compressed audio files over the Internet" were misplaced. He was right though, that to most people low-bitrate MP3 is good enough. No wow, no flutter, no hiss, decent dynamic range, small media, no chewed tape, no misaligned heads, no skipping laser - what is not to like? I prefer 128 Kbit/s MP3 over cassette any day, unless I want to look at rotating hubs and moving needles.

Rocker-MP3-player.jpg

To me, the biggest issue with streaming is that it is piecemeal. The best option to listen to a full album is to find a full CD rip in one big chunk, but even then sometimes it is a bad rip, or made off MP3s, so you can hear pauses between tracks. There have been some effort to ensure gapless playback, but it is still not as good as on traditional media including audio CDs.

When I was shopping for a CD-MP3 player 15 years ago, gapless playback of MP3 files was on the top of my list. Ultimately, I chose a solid state player, as it became evident that CDs are on their way out as a medium for portable players. Sony Discman was the right size. Also, 8cm CDs/DVDs were cute, but it was too late.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Emiel likes this.
  9. Longman

At first I misread that as my first internet connection after 56KBit/s dial up was 128KBit/s ADSL in about 2001. I just checked and that service wasn't even launched until 2000. So at that speed you could just about download in real time but live streaming would have been marginal.

Live streaming probably had little relevance back then. Downloads from sites like Napster to play on a simple MP3 player were probably far more common.

I agree with your comments about streaming today. Yesterday I found a tape with Roxette "Look Sharp" on it and played it all the way through. I had forgotten about half the songs so wouldn't have sort them out.

Emiel likes this.
  10. Mister X

In the beginning we all knew MP3 Quality stunk but the fact that you could store a few albums on the early players was the selling point. I used to have an early program, I think it was called Boombox Radio, it would search out internet streaming radio and it had an MP3 record button, I think it would also slice and dice the songs with titles on it's own fairly accurately. I saved a boatload of songs on it, some really rare stuff from the late 70's-early 80's that I thought was lost forever. It seemed to work pretty nicely.

Emiel likes this.
  11. Mister X

I think this qualifies? Everyone knows CDs but not a lot of people know their player can play these little 3" CD's as well. I've got some software on 3" but have never seen any pre-recorded music. I think the cost was too close to a full CD so the format never really got any steam. This is the first ad I've ever seen for it from 1988.

CD3 from 1988.png

Emiel, Radio Raheem and Valentin like this.
  12. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

I have never seen these before with music on them. I have only one of those small CDs (from the 90s), but it's not an audio one. Will share some pictures with it below. Don't remember where I got if from though.
    The only other place I have seen this type of CD is being bundeled with various electronic equipment (like OBDII car scanner, clone versions from China) containing drivers.

20th centrury 1.jpg 20th century 2.jpg

Emiel and Mister X like this.
  13. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

It sure does.

I bought several 8-cm CDs specifically for the purpose of making a video about 8-cm discs and players, but there are very few player models, most of them are ugly and cost arm and leg on ebay.

Seriously, comparing precision and craftsmanship of Mini Disc players with Mini-CD players... No comparison.
    I used to stream at work. We had a decent connection, good enough for music. No one tried to stream movies over the Net back then.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    Emiel likes this.
  14. Longman

It didn't take long to find one on eBay, although it is JDM.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224871190495?hash=item345b5e0fdf:g:kK4AAOSwPGtcKaTL
    Here is one that isn't
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334357676472?epid=1817654038&hash=item4dd94541b8:g:HzkAAOSw3qZa7bJO
    You would have to be a mega fan to spend that though.

I think the Audio disc manufacturers decided it was more economic to stick to the same size for all discs.
    Smaller discs also wouldn't work in slot loading players which were common in cars.

The computer ones are much more common. They usually came with cheap soundcards etc where the box was smaller than a standard CD.

Emiel likes this.
  15. Mister X

One of the first, remember they were scared these would allow unlimited copies of music. From HiFi News, 1999, the mpman!

Hi-Fi-News-1999-09 1.png
    Hi-Fi-News-1999-09 2.png
    Hi-Fi-News-1999-09 3.png

Valentin and Emiel like this.
  16. Mister X

Will the mpman be like the WM-TPS 2? I was so excited about the coming digital music revolution, most of the players were nicely built and they tried to be different.

17. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

The F20 above has both built-in memory and a card slot. The F10 had only built-in memory, I believe.

I have an F60, it is not very rugged: thin aluminum that bends and dings, and easy-melting plastic.

Mister X likes this.
  18. Mister X

Here's an article from Billboard 1989 on the CD-3's dying.

BB-1989-07-08 1.png
    cd3 1989 2.png

CDV likes this.
  19. Mister X

Sony MiniDisc Pro Units from 2000

Sony MD 2000.png

20. Mister X

An early Denon Pro Digital Recorder from 2000, anybody have one of these beauties? I bet they were a small fortune when new.

Denon DN-F20R 2000.png

Radio Raheem likes this.