Sony D-88 battery BP-2 repair mod questions

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by DJDesign, Dec 11, 2018.

1. DJDesign

DJDesign New Member

Has anyone here replaced the cell inside this battery? Can anyone here direct me to a link?
    If not, I'll try to do myself and post results.
    On eBay I saw a service that replaces the cell with this:
    3.7V 1000mAh Li-Ion
    I found this same battery on Amazon for $8.99.
    Not bad compared to the cost of a new Bp-2

I want to do this myself.

Thanks for any help.

K

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Hi There
    I like the idea of repairing/ upgrading your own battery. Please let me know about your experience.
    I sent My D-88 to KaosunCD and he repaired the CD player and upgraded the battery to Lithium ION more than a year ago both worked well after his service. I kept the unit in storage for more than a year. Last week i took it out of storage to try it again. the player plays fine but the battery is completely dead. I tried to charge the battery for several times but it is 100% dead.
    I think keeping Lithium battery in strage for a long time drains the battery completely.
    Anyway, I might send the battery to him to get it repaired/ reinstall new battery cell inside the battery compartment.

upload_2018-12-12_9-58-23.png
    This is his ebay link:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SONY-BP2-DE...h=item260c5da438:g:XUMAAOSwzLlXhmJ~:rk:1:pf:0

Jorge likes this.
  3. Analogtape

Analogtape Member

Found recently a Sony D-150 Discman in mint condition with the original battery BP-2 inside.
    The player was cheap to buy as not working. Luckily I just hat to turn the laser transport spindle a few times by hand and apply some fresh grease to get the Discman to work like new.

Of course, the battery is dead. Tried a repair according to this link (the BP2 is in fact a lead-acid battery):

unfortunately I do not understand what fluid exactly the guy is using. I used dest water and it was no surprise to me that this does not heal the battery.

Since it ist not very useful to ship the battery from Europe to USA and back to get it repaired: May I kindly ask if anyone has an order number for the 1000mAh Li-ion battery? The BP2 battery has the following dimensions: 65.3 x 26.8 x 10.8 mm).
    The only Li-ion battery that I found and that would fit inside the BP2 has a capacity of only 600 mAh which seems rather small with only 3.7 V compared to 4 V of the original battery.

Thank you

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Analogtape - you may contact Kaosun of kaosuncd.com direct and he will sell BP-2 for $10 extra to his refurb price.
    If you want to DIY, then any Li-Ion cell that fits (I use two AAA or 10440 wired in parallel) is an exact substitute. Li-Ion cells all standard 4.2V when fully charged, 3.7V when discharged Dead, and they are nicely charged by D-150, D-250, D-88, Denon DCP-100, etc…
    Another option is a 3-D print holder for two AAA, model is available online… I have a link somewhere

@Boodokhan - did you keep the battery inside D-88?

I use cells with overcharge/discharge protection board when reviving PB-2, myguess Kaosun does the same! Please let me know, I would hate to get complains/returns from my buyers :mad: none so far…

Boodokhan likes this.
  5. Analogtape

Analogtape Member

Thank you Jorge for the link to that immense source of information and knowledge at kaosuncd.com.
    Actually he has no BP-2 on stock, so i will try the DIY way and will post the result hopefully soon.

Jorge likes this.
  6. Analogtape

Analogtape Member

Based on the advice of Jorge I made a battery a compartment for two 10440 Li-ion cells from the original BP-2.
    This works quite well even if the whole ting is quite wobbly. A 3D printed case would be more stable, unfortunately I have no experience with 3D print at all.
    At least I can remove the Li-ion cells for charging externally to avoid any risk of overcharge/discharge for both, the cells and the Discman.
    Thank you again!

Attached Files:

Jorge likes this.
  7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Analogtape - nicely done!! I just solder AAA’s and let the Discman to charge ‘em :)
    But you can check the play-time of AAAs charged by a Li-Ion charger vs charged by D-250: any differences?
    Now you force me to post my own efforts…

Emiel likes this.
  8. Chen Bin

Chen Bin New Member

In the video he said that is distilled water. However I doubt how much percent he can save the battery since the material inside the battery is nearly "dead".

9. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Kaosun fixed my D-88 and its battery, When i received it the battery was fine. I placed them in a box and about a year later the battery was dead.
    I think I need to send it again to him to rejuvenate/ repair it.