Beer and Boomboxes!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It's not that I don't have a stand-by but I love trying new beers! I also use this thread to remember which ones I liked a lot including this one from the Lexington Brewing & Distilling Company, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Peppermint Porter. This was a dirt-cheap close out but I never saw it on the shelf, the good news is it was really tasty but I'll probably never see it again. For those that don't know, the Lexington and Louisville area has a bunch of Bourbon Distillers, so much that the air smells like it! One of the popular beer flavorings is bourbon that comes from using used wooden bourbon barrels to make the beer, I don't know if these guys were the first but now there several.

The boombox is an early crusty JVC Nivico 9310E, you know I love the early ones and this is just a tiny one but it still have multi-band and MIC mixing, I need to give it a nickeccles deep cleaning and get it shining, one of these days....

It's Friday Night who else is cracking a cold one?

DSC_1713sm.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

IMG_4964.JPG

@Mister X - a day later but I am catching up with you with my military-style Sharp and my almost-local brew... and King Crimson ;)

Looking back at my collections I realized that I am a sucker for such military-styled bboxes, someone MUST start such a thread... I will give you a few days of a head-start (it's your idea!!) and then I shall start one :cool:

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

Sweet, you finally got a Twin-Cam! Great idea for a thread, start one!

4. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

ha, back to the roots !

i was lucky to find a SANWA 7050 box - most of you will say: nothing special - wich is the truth, but:

one of those was my first ever stereo cassette recorder in 1980 (!)

and wow, the thingy works, right now hanging in the garden with some booze and enjoy a cool TheWho tape… BB2C7806-831F-41A0-AC79-988A992ABAAF.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Jorge and Mister X like this.
  5. Mister X

Nice box, the green dial is sweeeet! Is Sanwa Japanese Made? I'll have to look those up.

6. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

t.b.h. i don‘t know where it‘s made, but i suggest it‘s japanese, even if the there‘s quite a few german typing on it :scratch2:

most probably one of those aka‘s. like my beloved clonemen…

never mind, great box, quality made, crappy sound - all a box must have :biggrin:

Radio Raheem, Mister X and Silver965 like this.
  7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I was trying to think where I was familiar with Sanwa. They are still around
    http://www.sanwa-denshi.com/rc/car/
    I suspect it was the same company, trying out different markets in the 1970s.

They have their own Wikipedia page which says they made their first RC set in 1974
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanwa_Electronic
    Radio control was very expensive in the 1970s. Only one older boy in the school Aeromodelling Club had one, and even the all it could control was the aircrafts rudder.

Mister X and autoreverser like this.
  8. Mister X

All these cool little companies just cranking out cool stuff in the 70's.

9. Mister X

Just a little treat, the Hitachi TRK-8100H, unfortunately mine doesn't have multi band but these little guys are really well built and kind of heavy, the dual LED is a crowd pleaser and they sound pretty good for a mini size boombox. MIC mixing input? Yep this was a hot number when it came out, Hitachi's from this era can be rare around here. Check out the huge piano key selection, it might be a record! Eviltwin Brewing put out a monster beer with the Imperial Biscotti Break clocking in at 11.8%! but like usual, I can't find it any more...... This came out of Connecticut, what a great addition.

DSC_1805sm.jpg

nickeccles, Jorge and CDV like this.
  10. Mister X

11. soundabout

soundabout Member

Hi Mister X. I’ve been off of stereo2go for a while, was usually on the Walkman side back in the days of Paul S and our dear friend John Edwards. Recently I received an RX-C20, great sound and was surprised to see it was quite pricey at $550 USD back in the day. Someone had mentioned that the thin gears can be problematic over time. Do you know which gears/their location? And have you had any problems with your RX-C20? Thank you

Mister X likes this.
  12. Mister X

Sorry I can't help you soundabout, at that time mine was working fine but she's a shelf queen these days. Mine was in working condition and if I can do anything to keep from opening them I try to keep them closed. I'm not sure what gears are inside of a RX-C20 but I recently opened a AKAI GX-F60R full size deck and it has a gear driven system (or more of a friction drive) for moving the hubs to keep take-up tension on the cassette reels.

I just pulled up the service manual, maybe the gears bring up the play head?
    https://archive.org/details/manual_RXC20_SM_PANASONIC_EN/mode/2up

13. Mister X

14. Mister X

15. soundabout

soundabout Member

Thanks, no problem. If I dig deeper into my c20 I’ll post pics. And thanks for the service manual link. Indeed a great micro-boom box. I used to lug a Bose AW-1 or Panasonic RX-5250 to the backyard but the C20 offers enough full sound to substitute.

Mister X likes this.
  16. Mister X

One came up for sale here locally last year, he got down to $9 USD, which is a steal, I just was never over on that side of town to get it. Here's an older thread, 2channelhero's has the front sticker still attached.
    https://www.stereo2go.com/topic/ind...4711069735779412&board_oid=193392314111653326

The Panasonic RX-C20, Sony ZX-7 and Sansui FX-700R are all "fat bodied minis," they seem to be 2x the depth of similar size boxes. I haven't opened any of these up but I did open up the tiny Marantz LS-53 Speaker that's a similar size and it's a deep speaker, the depth isn't just for show. These seem to produce a fuller sound at low volumes but I might just be imagining it. They were expensive when new, I'm sure they wanted them to sound great.

17. Mister X

Holy cow, this thread gets some looks! Your beer guide is going in deep tonight, this little gem from Bent Paddle (Duluth, MN) is getting paired with a classic! The AIWA TPR-930 from the mid-70's. I'm going to go out on a limb, AIWA made the coolest boomboxes during this period, Sony kind of stuck with the CF-550A and didn't really upgrade it for years while AIWA was adding new models every year. This one is small! The tuner is excellent, like most AIWA's from this time and the antenna retracts into the case, you know I like that.

Bent Paddle? This has a big kick, lot's of bourbon aftertaste but ice-cold, the vanilla, chocolate and coconut really come out. Summer drink? maybe a little later when your checking out the stars on a clear warm night.

DSC_1922sm.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  18. Mister X

19. Mister X

Another boombox bar just opened last month! Boombox Brew Bar in Denver. I'm a little disappointed in their website, it's really generic with cut and paste photos and no pictures of boomboxes. Website Info 101, give us some info on the bar, the name and why you stand out, a website is one of the best marketing tools. Hopefully they read this and up their game, maybe have a beer and boombox meeting session, the local artwork looks pretty cool.
    https://www.westword.com/restaurants/boombox-brew-bar-opening-14494939

Also reading from the logo designer, this is a little dishearting to hear "I concluded that by incorporating the boombox into the design it made for anything but a classy design"
    https://hi-fivedesign.com/boombox-logo-design-for-coffee-beer-brew-bar-in-denver/

bbx d.jpg

20. Mister X