Favourite Discmans

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by mankamaz, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Nothing beats the convenience of magnetic clamps used on the first Discmans ;)
    Plus, they allow the use of one of my favorites "audio snake oil": CD mats :)
    Someday I will finish this project: CD Pressing Quality. Part Two will be about the benefits of CD mats, I think I have them all in my collection! If I find no benefits, then results won't get published :cool:

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

The smallest, the thinnest and the beautiful

Sony D-J50. This is the thinnest CD player as far as I know. The thickness of this discman is almost same thickness of a CD case
    100D7FA7-F864-4772-B980-6613F4EE925D.jpeg

This one is Technics SL- XP3 in beautiful green color
    8FAEE10C-0275-4C9B-9DEC-09605EF4A9D6.jpeg

Sony D-88 , the smallest CD player
    A403E096-23D3-4B89-9832-5C1BD2FE843D.jpeg

Mister X, lupogtiboy and Jorge like this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the photos Boodokhan, I picked up a few small players over the years and love the engineering that went into them.

Any idea what the story is with the IBM Technics?

Boodokhan likes this.
  4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Sony D-J50 and D-88 are the smallest (only D-EJ01 beats D-J50, maybe?) but they have a special place in my heart for being Sony "cheaters". Without battery "gondola" attachment D-J50 is not portable, and when D-88 came out it was "a bit expensive" (to say the least) to make small CDR disks at home, so you were stuck with "CD-singles" which never quite happened
    D-J50 is where the "Golden Age" ended, I should have bought one when I could, these last few years the prices are out of my sanity range o_O (why won't everyone move onto A&K DAPs and leave Discmans alone?)

Almost forgot to ask: if anyone has Service Manual for Technics SL-XP3 or Panasonic SL-NP3, please let me know. There is a gap in my table of PCDP Components

Boodokhan likes this.
  5. Brandon

Brandon Member

Just found this one so i thought id add a pic before its stored into oblivion , needs a clean and polish . D30

20180315_195409.jpg 20180315_195454.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Glad you mentioned it! Love the looks, once cleaned and polished it really shines! And heavy as Hell, can be used for self-defense instead of a brick :) Very solid Discman!!!

7. colimaxp

colimaxp New Member

So far I like the D-555 and D-E01 because of the sound quality and D-88 because of the unique shape. D-777 and D-250 are also good players.

Best SONY DiscMan 01.JPG

Boodokhan likes this.
  8. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

@colimaxp
    the d555 has it's beautiful 80's design. just love it. but i prefer the sound of d777. has a "tube" sound. sounds great with grado headphones and rock music. is also portable. perhaps the d777 is my favo sony. not it's design,dj50 or d555 and its sound quality is less than a d311/d515, but it's portable and fun to listen. must admit, haven't used a d777 or other discman for 10 years or more.

9. 19lexicon78

humor
    after all these years. i wish i would meet my master. it's the d777 boy..
    for walkman it's the dc2..
    unfortunate, you have to do it all by yourself..

10. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

A few years ago, I inherited my mother's old Technics SL-XP5 which she had bought new back in the 1980s. It's still one of the best sounding CD players I have heard. While it's still a CD player the sound seems more natural and seems to have more depth than many CD players.

Jorge likes this.
  11. 19lexicon78

@deb
    a cdp is by far, by far better than a discman.

12. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

19lexicon78 in reply to your post:
    If by "CDP" you mean CD Player, a discman IS a CD Player, abait one in a small casing.

Until I got the XP5 I might have agreed with you. There are good and bad of both. There are plenty of full sized CD players which have been designed and built to a budget so that a manufacturer can put a CD player on the market at the lowest possible price. Some of these sound pretty flat and uninteresting.

When Technics built the SL-XP5 they wanted to put a high quality CD player into a portable sized case, and in that they suceeded. While much larger and heavier than later Discmans, the XP5 did come with a rechargeable battery (a lead acid battery housed in a plate which clamps onto the base of the unit) and a carrying strap.
    Anti-skip technology was still in its infancy at the time so you couldn't use the XP5 on the move or in the car in the same way you could a walkman or later discman.

When you plugged a XP5 into a system using either the line out jack or the headphone output, you soon realised that it punched well above its weight. When you plug it in to a system today, over 30 years after its launch you realise that it STILL punches way above its weight. This is why XP5s still sell for high prices on Ebay.

Jorge likes this.
  13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I have to agree/disagree with you both: @Deb64 is wrong about SL-XP5 price, this Discman it "the best kept secret" in Discmans community, price never goes above $300... And it is the best sounding Discman ever!!!! But once set against any Naim CD player, available off eBay for less than Sony 555, it just folds...
    But overall @Deb64 said it on my behalf: most CD spinners follow the mantra that Digit is Digit and sound awful, the only way to hear that Digital can sound almost as good as vinyl/analog is to audition at hi-end store, which are dying out. Make an effort and visit one, while you still can! Oh, and do not even get me started on hi-rez! :mad:

Thomas Monteith likes this.
  14. 19lexicon78

@Deb64
    people are nuts to pay 100s for discman. ok, to me, it's an 80's 90's sentiment and i've paid 80 euro max for a discman d515. had my d555 for 50 euro, philips 6829, 25 euro.etc
    you won't use a discman for a home system. never.. unless you don't have any money. just buy a cdp with a swing arm and a 1541 dac, you' re done.

15. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

@19lexicon78
    The prices for some discman (80's model mostly) have gone up like crazy recently.
    It's getting harder and harder to get decent prices on some models.

A good standard CDP easily beats any PCDP; even if the dac is not top quality, the optical pick-up has a better SNR and, in case of worn CD, that means a lower rate on error correction; on top of that, the headphone amp is stronger too and can easily drive high quality headphones. But, to me, nothing beats watching an old PCDP spinning discs !

16. 19lexicon78

@enryfox
    indeed, you pay for emotion. but to me, it isn't worth 100s of euro's.

17. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

18. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I just picked up this Kenwwod DCP-61 on Jorge's Advice. They tend to be somewhat rare and luckily there was a mint remote on ebay for cheap to complete the set. It also came with a unused cassette adapter and Kenwood Wall Wart. These have a really nice crinkle finish and not the crappy kind like cars have that starts melting off. I'm a sucker for large LED displays and even though this gets into egg catagory, it can hang with it's square bodied older brothers without causing a stir. I'm running it through my AIWA 22 Stack and everything seems to work fine, my new Dokken CD sounds great.

Oddly there's very little information on this unit but it seems like it was marketed on the high end, this has a full metal base with cushioned feet. While marketed as "portable" it even says that on the bottom, there is no battery compartment! These are too pretty to put in your pocket, the base was meant for static surfaces.

EDIT, thanks Jorge, changed the model number to DCP-61 andfound the battery compartment under the cover!

DSC_1926sm.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
    Boodokhan, Jorge and lupogtiboy like this.
  19. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Good Catch! DPC-81 is a different beast though, yours looks exactly like my DPC-61 (but its native remote is marked as RC-P81, not 61):
    P1110810s.JPG

mine has battery compartment for 4xAA batteries:
    P1110804s.JPG

Internally, DPC-61 is all-Sony parts, almost an exact copy of Denon DCP-50. I totally agree with @Mister X - gray/matt finish is very nice to the touch and unlike the one used on Denon DCP-100 and DCP-150 it is not gooey

Boodokhan and Mister X like this.
  20. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Mr X. Nice one and Jorge thank you.

Mister X likes this.