Power supply, AIWA Walkman

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Emmpunkt, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Emmpunkt

Emmpunkt Member

2 volt power supply for AIWA walkman
    Because the original 2V power supply is pretty rare and there are no power supplies on the market that can deliver 2 volts, i wanted to make an easy to to build one, wich (nearly) everyone can recreate. So i used parts that you can buy on Amazon or Ebay.
    Parts:
    An USB cable, one side USB, the other side a 3,5/1,35mm plug that fits into the AIWA.
    A LM317 module, that converts 5V to 2V(2.4).
    Everyone has a computer or an USB PS, so this should not be a problem

Unfortunately, i couldn´t find a SMD LM317 module, so the modul is pretty big, i made mine a bit shorter by desoldering the LM and putting it sideways. But this is not a necessary step, i just did it to reduce the height a little bit.
    The LM317 is adjusted to ~2.4 Volts, like the original PS. Its not 2 volts (like its printed on) because of the used battery, you can´t charge a PB-battery with 2 V, it will never charge completely!

My housing is made of wood and brass. The AIWA Logo is an outside carve filled with epoxy and violet pigments. A simple plastic box will do the same ;)

IMPORTANT:
    IF YOU USE METAL, YOU HAVE TO ISOLATE THE BOARD AND THE HEATSINK!!!
    THE POLARITY OF THE AIWAS IS REVERSED!! OUTSIDE OF THE PLUG IS +(PLUS), INSIDE IS -(MINUS)
    In my case it was red wire(more pink) on GND, white wire on VOUT.
    P1090024.JPG Insta2.jpg Insta3.jpg Insta7.jpg Insta8.jpg Insta5.jpg Insta6.jpg Insta4.jpg

Silver965, autoreverser, RTB and 4 others like this.
  2. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Hi @Emmpunkt . Great looking adapter! I love the Aiwa font and logo, well done.

Silver965, Jorge and Emmpunkt like this.
  3. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

I sure Mouser or Digi ket sells SMD voltage regulators .
    I could design a circuit very easy and have the PCB made if there was a market for them.
    Sincerely Richard
    P.S. Nice job on your case !

Emmpunkt likes this.
  4. Emmpunkt

Emmpunkt Member

Its not a problem to get the parts in SMD size, solder this few parts to a perf board is also possible.
    But i wanted something that you can build just with a screwdriver and a knife.....

But anyway, the acceptance and interest for my selfmade stuff in this forum seems to be very low, so i will stop posting it here...

5. Emiel

It depends on what you define as low.
    For instance, if things would have a USB connection on one end, it would be more interesting to me.
    I have several of these adapters from different brands, and they are stored in a box.
    It is a pain to get them out every time, so I prefer to work with a USB power supply that can drives these.

6. Emmpunkt

Emmpunkt Member

Sorry, i don´t know what you mean.
    One side is a USB Plug, the other side is the plug for the AIWA.
    So its just a USB cable with a little box between both ends. You only need a Standart USB power supply or your computer to use it...

Jorge likes this.
  7. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Hello Emmpunkt,
    " But anyway, the acceptance and interest for my selfmade stuff in this forum seems to be very low, so i will stop posting it here.."
    Sorry if I said something because your project turned out very nicely and I love the cool design case .
    Sincerely Richard

Jorge likes this.
  8. Emmpunkt

Emmpunkt Member

I don´t know why you feel offended!? You are someone who wrote something in this thread.

Documenting my stuff, so others have a benefit of it, making Photos and writing a bit of text in a language that is not my native language is a bit of work.
    If its just ignored (except of 3 or 4 people), i will not do it anymore.
    And writing in a foreign language carrys the danger of misunderstanding....

Jorge likes this.
  9. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Emmpunkt,
    I look forward to seeing future posts of yours I am currently restoring a Pam brand antique advertising clock /sign for someone .
    Sincerely Richard

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    Emmpunkt likes this.
  10. isolator42

isolator42 Active Member

That adapter is way cool :)

Emmpunkt and Jorge like this.
  11. Emiel

Sign me up! I want one for my high-school favorite HS-EX2000!

12. RTB

RTB Member

Well done - thanks for sharing :cheers:

13. Emmpunkt

Emmpunkt Member

The Intention to make it this style was that you can build it with standart parts, a screwdriver and a multimeter.
    Just for me, i would use a perfboard and solder a few SMD parts to it. Wich makes it much smaller.

After testing it for a few days:
    Still works without problems, with an emty battery it is getting warm, but not really hot.
    Measured with a USB Tester, i can measure up to 500 mA (for a minute, than it drops) with an emty battery, wich might be quite high.
    I did choose a linear regulator because i don´t want high frequency devices nearby or in audio equipment (like a step down regulator)

Does someone know if a linear regulator acts like a step down? If it would be a step down, this would mean that the battery current is doubled with half of the voltage.
    (In: 5V 500 mA Out: 2,4V 1000 mA)? Or is the current just the same?
    I did not measure the output current, thats why i ask....