Little haul

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by Chris_D, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

The book of Dolby, Chapter 11, Verse 19:
    'Thou shalt not covet pointless, shiny things which give no real meaning in life. Unless of course, they happen to be NOS Sony Metal ES'.
    :D

IMG_20221105_150716_1.jpg

Mister X, Jorge, LIVO and 1 other person like this.
  2. KJ Bleus Parsons

KJ Bleus Parsons Active Member

Indeed, Sony Metal ES cassette formula tape (circa mid '1980), the "godmother" of all things metal coming from Sony Audio of Japan !!!

Thanks for posting the impressive stash photo, Chris ...... What are your plans for utilizing all of these cassette tape goodies ?

Cheers

Mister X likes this.
  3. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

You're welcome!
    Nando (Elite-ist on TH) and I are already going to do a mixtape exchange using an '88 era NOS ES.
    For the rest, well I'm going to sit on them while I get through my stock of used examples....
    :]
    IMG_20220303_185909_1_2.jpg

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  4. KJ Bleus Parsons

That's a nice proposed project ..... If appropriate, kindly share the music track playlist when completed.

Have you considered doing an around-the-globe mixtape kind of thing? Sort of like the old-time NakTalk Marathon project from early 2000s. That involves a bit of additional effort, yet the results can be quite satisfying with collaboration internationally.

Cheers and Peace !!!

Mister X likes this.
  5. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

Yes I've done a couple over on the Tapeheads forum. They're nice, interesting little projects where you get to sample other people's favourite music as well as the capabilities and characteristics of the equipment they used to record the music onto!

The one I enjoyed most was something called the 'Bassline Travelling Tape' where I think there were about 16 of us in the loop with a group on each side of the Atlantic. I supplied 2 brand new Sony Metal XR C90's for each group and we selected 2/3 tracks each based on a theme, recorded with no Dolby for compatibility and no restrictions on song choices. Took a couple of months to complete with 2 tapes travelling around the globe at different speeds but the end result was more than worth it. I still have those tapes and digitised them to share with the contributors which was a nice way of saying thanks.

Here's the EU tape playlist:

Bassline Travelling Tape 2019 Tracklist.png

6. KJ Bleus Parsons

Howdy Chris:

Exceptional playlist compiled by your tapeheads.net buddies !

Posting the hand-written details is a treat to view, merci . Did you set a recommended recording criteria, or allowed an "anything goes" kind of approach by participants ? Just curious .....

7. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

Not really. As mentioned; no Dolby for compatibility and I think there was a time limitation so that around 8 participants could share 2/3 songs and of course the theme for this one was 'Bassline'. So songs with a standout or significant bassline. As I remember, one of my choices seemed a bit controversial at the time due to everyone thinking that Peter Hook had dropped a note in his bassline for Joy Division's 'Disorder', but of course that's how it was written and recorded. Typical Hookie. :crazy

Btw, are you 'Nakenthusiast51' over on TH as you both use the same avatar?

8. KJ Bleus Parsons

Oh, I was wondering if you had any recording criteria, particularly bias and level parameters ( like dB bias @ 15 Hz and dB level @ 400 KHz ) to normalize overall multiple recording outputs from participants. Or perhaps you re-mastered the individual music segments into a final mix-tape.

Indeed, my identification handle and avatar are the same for both forums ......

Cheers & Peace World-Wide !!!

9. Walkmanlover

Walkmanlover New Member

Damn that's marvellous! How did you get so many? And may I ask, are you the legend ChrisNAK over on TH?

10. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

Oh, I suppose by just keeping my nose to the ground, right place right time, that sort of thing, as well as being a thoroughly lucky barsteward! lol

And as for being *chortle* 'the legend' ChrisNAK on TH I wouldn't quite put it that way. 'Upstart' 'Nuisance' 'Cantankerous Old Git' would probably be a more suitable moniker. But yes, 'tis I.
    :nwink:

11. KJ Bleus Parsons

Browsing around, like for me when after midnight, and being at a fortunate cyberplace with the best of timing, often yields grand treasures !

Indeed, its a special feeling to land upon those golden opportunities .....

Cheers & good tidings !!!

12. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

Another little NOS tapes haul this week.

10x Fuji JP-IIxPRO C100 in a half-opened box. I wasn't really looking for these but made a cheeky bid and secured them for €100 posted.
    Being in a half-opened box is tantalising. I can't wriggle a tape out without tearing the rest of the perforations to open the top flap completely but I can bend the top cover up a bit to peek inside. Fortunately there's no musty smell that would indicate rotten tapes.

What would you do? Open the flap completely to use one, some, all of them or leave them alone as an appreciating collectible?
    These are pretty rare to come accross over here in NL so I assume the seller may have purchased them abroad at some point.
    I wouldn't mind finding some used examples that I can play around with before I decide what to do with them..

IMG_20240705_181658.jpg
    IMG_20240705_181713.jpg

13. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

Another little haul. 10x Sony Metal XR100 '98 era.
    Lovely condition. 3 have been recorded to and the other 7 have just had the wrapper removed and contain no recordings.
    The best combination of price/condition for recording adequately to type IV's as you're not concerned about devaluing them via removing the wrapper and reassured that there aren't going to be any dropouts from prior use. WIN-WIN!
    IMG_20240708_182022.jpg
    IMG_20240708_181627(1).jpg