WM-5 Reference Images

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by big cyn, Dec 13, 2022.

1. big cyn

big cyn New Member

Could anyone provide clear images of a WM-5's circuit board? I'm trying to repair a Walkman I had tried to service some time ago, and I currently don't have a clue on which wires go where. There aren't any service guides for this model either, so finding any schematics are out of a the question, too.

2. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

3. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

i do have two WM-5 but won‘t open them - look for WM-2 repair guides, board is identical…

4. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

I do seem to have a couple, but most are with the mechanism. Have attached one with the PCB for reference, but it's from the component side and wires were desoldered at the time picture was made anyway.

@big cyn Please add a picture with the traces side of the PCB and will help you identify which wires go where as there are other walkmans which use the same ICs, so we can trace which signal/power line goes where.

@autoreverser PCBs are not identical in WM-2s and WM-5s, at least not in all of them (WM-2 exists in multiple variants though).
    The WM-2 depicted in the service manual uses 2 x CX808 head preamps/power amps, while the WM-5 uses 1 x CX887 (same as WM-7).
    This does correspond with what I have seen in real life, but as said given there are multiple variants of WM-2, there is a possibility that one with 1 x CX887 also exists.

Attached Files:

Emiel and autoreverser like this.
  5. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

thanks, i didn‘t know that :worship:

6. big cyn

big cyn New Member

Here's my PCB, front and back. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

autoreverser likes this.
  7. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Most of the pads are labeled already, so let's take them one by one:

M+ ---> motor positive it's the red wire
    M- ---> motor negative it's the white wire
    FG ---> purple wires of the motor go to these, does not matter which goes where

HD-L ---> head left channel yellow wire (seems it is already there)
    HD-R ---> head right channel red wire (seems it is already there)
    HD-E ---> head ground white wire (seems it's already there)
    There is another braid going to the shield of the head cable. This is not marked, but it's clear where it should go.
    Note this shield must be connected only at the PCB end as otherwise you will create a ground loop.

S1 (marked red) ---> these 2 connect to the FF/REW leaf switch, it's the one near the flywheel
    S2 (marked green) ---> these 2 connected to the PLAY leaf switch, it is the one that gets pressed by the green part of the PLAY button

The S1/S2 are took from the WM-2 manual, so not 100% sure they're this way and not the other way around. But this you can figure out for yourself.

Attached Files:

DutchNick and autoreverser like this.