My TDK Cassettes Collection

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by soluna, Mar 16, 2023.

1. soluna

soluna Active Member

Hello to all, here now are, like promised in my introduction, the photos of my TDK-Collection.
    There are 456 different cassettes, all sealed, and 15 cassettes are still on their way to me.
    I preferred to collect 90-minutes-tapes, sometimes i use placeholders, like SA-X C60 1982 from US, until i can get the 90-minutes-cassette.
    Sometimes TDK had not produced 90-minutes-tapes, for example Super CDing, or Comic Tapes, so i took tapes with other tape lengths from the series.
    And i collect all of the different variants. I add here examples for different declaration ( TDK D 1982 ), different shells ( TDK SA 1989 US region ) and different design ( TDK CDing from 1997, and TDK DS 2 - Special Colours ).
    So, - if it seems, that there are doubles, there aren`t :nwink:
    I have created a databank, to get not confused with buying again same cassettes,- if somebody is interested in a closer look to front- and backsides,please send a PM. Then i could send a pdf.
    Otherwise i can add photos of special views, if wished.
    Now, have fun, that`s one reason for collecting. AD.jpg AE D.jpg CDing.jpg Comix.jpg D SD.jpg End HC.jpg MA SA.jpg SA X.jpg SD Beam.jpg 20230312_160857.jpg 20230312_161006.jpg IF.jpg 20230312_165001.jpg 20230312_165047.jpg 20230312_165025.jpg 20230312_160908.jpg 20230312_160949.jpg 20230312_161010.jpg D90 82.jpg SA 89 US.jpg CDing 97.jpg Colours.jpg

2. MikeWalkman

MikeWalkman New Member

Wow!! The Great Collection!!

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great collection! Are there any "grails" for TDK?

I've always been on the lookout for Nakamichi, years ago they used to be the most expensive NOS on Ebay, now several others have passed them in price.

4. soluna

soluna Active Member

My grails ( nice word... ) are the Early Tapes between 1966 - 1971 and the MA-R C from 1979, for some collectors these are the "Hello Kitty - Tapes, may be the AD-X from 1982, and, i think, for ev`ryone - the SA-XG ( because it`s only produced in one year, and only for U.S. ). I, for example need the most early tapes, like LN, Krom, Maverick and the Alignment Tapes for Tapes Measuring ( they are still at ebay, for example here : https://www.ebay.de/itm/20405958957...s8bLesj0yp1rzmO2KivKMMWMCA|tkp:Bk9SR_yt_MXdYQ ) - you can see the price...
    I have collected Nakamichi too - great tapes, but i think, the Sony Super Metal Master is in the same class. Some prefer Maxell Vertex. Or BASF Metal from 1985 ?

Mister X likes this.
  5. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Do you have info on the "We are the STAFF" series? The name caught my eye, and looking it up it looks quite interesting. Seems to not be actually a tape, but a tag keychain of some sort?

6. soluna

soluna Active Member

You`re right, thats not cassettes - it`s merchandise - i have 3 of the cases - i will post closer views and my interpretation later.

stuck-in-time likes this.
  7. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

great collection - i‘ve never realized, how many different tapes were made (not only by TDK) :thumbsup:

8. soluna

soluna Active Member

... and i still need about 50 more cassettes ( that i know of ). For example special things like these
    popin.1.jpg teddy boo.1.jpg tdk-head-cleaner-HC-1 71 .jpg

Mister X and Emiel like this.
  9. soluna

soluna Active Member

Here you can see the three "Staff" Cases, - there are metal plaques, they identify the wearer as a member of a special soundlabel , and inside is a nameplate. I think, they are for merchandise events of the CRS. 20230318_170750.jpg 20230318_170808.jpg

Mister X, Emiel and Magneto like this.
  10. Magneto

Magneto Member

Impressive. There are certain ones I didn't even know existed. thanks for sharing.

Emiel likes this.
  11. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Wow. That's total dedication to a noble cause for sure. I was pleased with your holy grail nomination of the 1979 MA-RC90. I only have one of these bought cheaply as "used" but case and J-Card unmarked and I use it. It has superb MOL response and can be pushed well into the red and no distortion still after 43 years. I also like the Sony Super Metal Master and pleased to know you also highly rate that one.

Emiel and Magneto like this.
  12. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Wow!!! :applause:nodding:

Emiel likes this.
  13. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Amazing collection you have!

14. soluna

soluna Active Member

I think, in April i will get some new cassettes ( so i can change some placeholders ;-) ), and there will be 6 different Freddie Land Cassettes ( if the transfer from Russia will work... ). Does anybody know something about this edition ?
    It`s a TDK series with a little comic penguin on the cover, but i haven`t found anything about this . TDK also has produced Hello - Kitty - , Minna no Tabo - , Cheery Chums - and the Vaudeville Duo - Cassettes - these are from SANRIO - Universe, but Freddie Land is no noted. It would be interesting, if somebody knows more.
    Freddie.jpg

15. Magneto

Magneto Member

Bought a bunch of TDK SA 90s and SA 60s last week. Made me think of this thread. :)

16. soluna

soluna Active Member

What are your favorite TDK SA ?

Magneto likes this.
  17. soluna

soluna Active Member

I found these two TDK Cassettes in the web
    T1.jpg T2jpg.jpg T2 R.jpg

These are not normal cassettes, have a special mechanism. Does anybody know, how it works ?

m80116, Elite-ist, Mister X and 2 others like this.
  18. sickly_b

sickly_b Active Member

Wonderful!

19. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

I've been really curious about how that TDK variable length cassette works ever since I've learned of their existence sometime ago. If I got one, I'll think I'll probably unseal it carefully and take it apart to see how it works.

20. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

I think it probably clamps the tape, forcing your auto-stop mechanism to engage.

Mister X and stuck-in-time like this.