Inventory tracking

Discussion in 'Announcements and suggestions' started by Emiel, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I have several portables, ranging from CD / Discman to cassette Walkman to Digital / Network players, etc..
    Since I don't have the space I can't have all within arm's reach and have to keep them in several boxes.
    Last year I bought transparent small storage boxes, which helps identify quicker where the unit might reside.

How do you keep track of your inventory / collection?
    Any program or site you can recommend?

2. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Personally I use Microsoft Access to create database for my collection. Admittedly though I'm only making simple database tables there.

3. Emiel

Thanks for sharing @stuck-in-time .
    I was using a simple Excel file, but both the primary as well as the backup got corrupted due to a bug in Office on iOS devices using iCloud; hence my search for a better solution.
    I want to be able to view and update on multiple devices (primarily iPhone and iPad), option to export all text attributes and preferably also images.

So far I have evaluated a few candidates: 1. Memento, 2. Formbook and 3. MobiDB.
    I configured the basic attributes relatively quickly, and added several devices I had lying around as test.
    MobiDB is closest to a conventional relational database, additional tables for instance for brands, colors can be quickly added and linked accordingly.
    I can easily see this as very useful if for instance you would want to track remote control units, or battery sidecars across devices.

1. Memento
    Export as CSV (no images), generate PDF per device with images.
    Multiple devices using cloud supported, free version up to 100MB (not a lot including pictures, up to 20-30 devices), 30 Euro/year to extend to 2GB and more perks.
    Nice UI and config options.
    Memento - MiniDisc Devices overview.PNG Memento - Per device - page main props.jpg Memento - Per device - page pictures.PNG

2. Formbook
    Export as CSV (no images), PDF per device with images.
    iOS support using iCloud, free as long as you have enough storage.
    UI and config options limited but nice.
    Formbook - Overview.PNG Formbook - Per device.jpg

3. MobiDB
    Export as CSV (optionally with images as part of ZIP, including relative path and filename), Excel and PDF.
    iOS and Windows 10 support for 10 Euros / year.
    UI not the prettiest.
    MobiDB - Overview.PNG MobiDB - Per device.PNG

Given the export functionality and relatively low price currently MobiDB has my preference, although I have not made a decision yet.
    The unit entry and edit UI looks a bit clunky, but I'll take that as it can generate full CSV exports of the data that you can store elsewhere.

Do you have other / better alternatives you can share?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    stuck-in-time and Valentin like this.
  4. Emiel

Meanwhile I found another app, Collections Database.
    Export: CSV and JSON, optionally including images.
    Multiple devices support including native app for MacOS and iOS. Printing, also directly to PDF per collectable.
    Pro purchase one-time fee of 7 EUR.
    upload_2023-4-15_20-48-0.png

5. Emiel

Case closed, as I have selected Collections Database as my solution.
    I have added several 'Collections' to my Collections DB.
    During the process of creating the empty collection (preparing the framework), I found a bug.
    The developer is very responsive and it was resolved very quickly, as the fix could be made part of an already planned release.
    I am also very happy with the cross device accessibility on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

stuck-in-time and Valentin like this.