Another TEAC, Marantz, AKAI AKA....

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Yep, found another, I'll try to blend the threads together since this model seems to go for silly money and everybody seems to have a version of it. Years ago John Edwards started posting some of the different versions
    http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?content_oid=193392314111920279&board_oid=522740502721869426

Like the Walkman Clones, this seems to be the 2nd most branded personal cassette player and here's another one, the Cybernet PS-202 Concert Stereo, I don't think this has been posted before. Check out the color!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cybernet-P...061887?hash=item23b915b0ff:g:XscAAOSwVotcmAFM

k3.jpg
    k1.jpg

Valentin likes this.
  2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

This Cybernet PS-202 is a very interesting model, I do like the color, design and the pattern on cassette door. It's pretty unique compared to the typical walkman of the era.

Since I first read this post, I found out more information about this device.
    This Cybernet is essentially identical to the AKAI PM-R1, only obvious difference apart from door design being the label on the direction button, which on the Cybernet is labeled PROG.

However, apart from the PM-R1, AKAI PM-R2, TEAC PC-7RX, JVC CQ-22K, the Marantz/Unix PC-88/PC-88DB (mentioned below) and the Sharp QT40 all use the same exact mechanism.
    The Cybernet, AKAI and TEAC models are also very similar on the electronics, the most important difference being the noise reduction section:
    on the ones without it (Cybernet, AKAI PM-R1) that section is missing, on the PM-R2 there's a Dolby B IC (BA1102F), while on the TEAC there's a dbx IC (AN6291 - it's the one used in all dbx devices).
    A closer look at the Marantz/Unit PC-88 reveals it's almost identical to the AKAI PM-R1, while the PC-88DB is almost identical to the AKAI PM-R2.

The JVC has a completely different PCB and only shares the mechanism with motor being in a different position and using a different motor.
    Mechanism seems to be made by a 3rd party called SHINWA which I don't know any info about. If someone knows more about this company, please share.

AKAI PM-R1.jpg AKAI PM-R2.jpg TEAC PC-7RX.jpg JVC CQ-22K.jpg PC88DB 3.jpg PC88DB 2.jpg PC88 1.jpg PC88 6.jpg Sharp QT40.png k3.jpg
    * Sharp QT40 photo from https://walkman.land/sharp/qt-40

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    Mister X and Emiel like this.
  3. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Emiel and Mister X like this.
  4. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Mister X likes this.
  5. Mister X

6. Mister X

I'd say the Sony TPS-L2, this one and the AIWA CS-J1 were copied like crazy or made by the same manufacturer with different branding. I have to believe they were buying circuit boards button, knobs and even shells from the same companies. It would be fun to watch a YouTube Documentary on how all this was done.