Yep, found another, I'll try to blend the threads together since this model seems to go for silly money and everybody seems to have a version of it. Years ago John Edwards started posting some of the different versions http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index.php?content_oid=193392314111920279&board_oid=522740502721869426 Like the Walkman Clones, this seems to be the 2nd most branded personal cassette player and here's another one, the Cybernet PS-202 Concert Stereo, I don't think this has been posted before. Check out the color! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cybernet-P...061887?hash=item23b915b0ff:g:XscAAOSwVotcmAFM
This Cybernet PS-202 is a very interesting model, I do like the color, design and the pattern on cassette door. It's pretty unique compared to the typical walkman of the era. Since I first read this post, I found out more information about this device. This Cybernet is essentially identical to the AKAI PM-R1, only obvious difference apart from door design being the label on the direction button, which on the Cybernet is labeled PROG. The AKAI PM-R1/PM-R2, TEAC PC-7RX, JVC CQ-22K, Marantz/Unix PC-88/PC-88DB, Sharp QT40, Yamaha YCC-10, Kenwood CP-20 and Universum CP2332 all use the same exact mechanism. The Cybernet, AKAI and TEAC models are also very similar on the electronics, the most important difference being the noise reduction section: on the ones without it (Cybernet, AKAI PM-R1) that section is missing, on the PM-R2 there's a Dolby B IC (BA1102F), while on the TEAC there's a dbx IC (AN6291 - it's the one used in all dbx devices). A closer look at the Marantz/Unit PC-88 reveals it's almost identical to the AKAI PM-R1, while the PC-88DB is almost identical to the AKAI PM-R2. The JVC has a completely different PCB and only shares the mechanism with motor being in a different position and using a different motor. Mechanism seems to be made by a 3rd party called SHINWA which I don't know any info about. If someone knows more about this company, please share. * Sharp QT40 photo from https://walkman.land/sharp/qt-40
Reading a thread about DAK (https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/that-cool-stuff-from-dak.8750/#post-68810), the DAK XV5000 came to my attention. Looking at the 3rd picture, I notice the mechanism is identical to the walkmans in the post above. Re-uploaded the picture here for reference.
Don't forget the Marantz UNIX Version! https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/marantz-personal-cassette-players.2162/
I'd say the Sony TPS-L2, this one and the AIWA CS-J1 were copied like crazy or made by the same manufacturer with different branding. I have to believe they were buying circuit boards button, knobs and even shells from the same companies. It would be fun to watch a YouTube Documentary on how all this was done.
There's a beautiful Red AKAI Version on ebay right now, the seller was kind enough to include this photos of the radio cartridge With the FCC ID (USA Certification for radio products), I was able to pull up this info: Which confirms Kyocera Electronics is the builder, at least for the radio cartridge. I'm guessing they built the whole unit. Kyocera bought out Cybernet in 1982 but had money invested starting in 1979. This unit has a great history, although short, and I love the way it looks. The builder went all-out trying to make that front door look a little different with all the different graphics. In the component stereo world, Kyocera had it's own small line of audio but supposedly built equipment for all the other companies. I also remember Kyocera Cell Phones had a pretty big footprint at one time.
Valentine, I think the DAK is a Unitech Model but I did find some info on a Korean Website that stated the Korean's Copied anything Japanese back in the early 80's when they were trying to get into more audio production. There were a few Korean Companies that built for Japanese Companies, Maybe Kyocera and Unitech had the same arrangement? They both seem to have had the same marketing strategy, limited branded equipment and plenty of 3rd party products.
According to google ai, Shinwa was huge with automotive tape transports and also supplied mid-level transports to other companies. The photo supplied below is for a car stereo and there seems to be a lot of these on ebay USA. I also found an early Shinwa Data Drive for some obscure tape media.