My TDK Cassettes Collection

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by soluna, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Magneto

Magneto Member

[​IMG]
    In general run of the mill, TDK SA-X 60, but this edition:
    https://images.app.goo.gl/5NCnC1PRpd8PSX418
    Been looking for a box of these for a while.
    but my favourite TDK SA tapes are the SA-X 60s from 1988.
    60 is my preferred length, which makes it even tougher to find as 90 min are what sold the most.
    I've only started collecting (very few so far) blank tapes, but not purposely initially. More because I know the cassettes are no longer made and are becoming hard to find. Nothing I'd consider rare yet. just a bunch of mostly Sonys and JVC types I and ii.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  2. soluna

soluna Active Member

Sorry for late answering, i`ve got no information about new postings... I never have seen this tapes with the mechanism, otherwise i would buy two - one for collection, one for checking, how they works.
    And here - trara , the first update of my collection - the first little parcel arrived.
    20230404_173938.jpg

Interesting cross-section of the collection - HC is from 1979/80, the CDing is from 2000, and the C-90F Maverick is from 1968/69 ( very difficult to find one in good condition ). The Maverick came with a paper cassette case - and it was produced to ship for - adress label on the back.
    2B Continued

Mister X, stuck-in-time and Magneto like this.
  3. soluna

soluna Active Member

Here`s an update, new cassettes for collection arrived :
    20230422_025623.jpg

Now i have 3 of 8 Freddie, and all the 3 Dela Cassettes.

Mister X and Magneto like this.
  4. soluna

soluna Active Member

And here - is a new update, i post the new cassettes, i`ve got in the last days. There is only one new cassette model, i still looked for, - the EC6 from 1982, the other 5 are versions of the cassettes i already have.
    They only differ by tape length or declaration / region.
    In the next weeks i will get a bigger parcel with 20 new cassettes, it remains exciting.
    20230525_134802.jpg

stuck-in-time, Mister X and Emiel like this.
  5. soluna

soluna Active Member

Meanwhile i´ve got two additional fine cassettes - the D90 is from 1972, one of the oldest, i have. And the SA-X has a different declaration.
    2 Kassetten.jpg

Mister X and Emiel like this.
  6. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Valentin likes this.
  7. soluna

soluna Active Member

Thank you for the link, just in the moment i have no doubles to open it. By the way - the very old cassettes all can be recognized by the stylized crystal, like here :
    http://agfabasf.com/catalog/tdk/tdk-1968/
    Unfortunally TDK in some of the early years has produced tapes with wrapping foil, that lost the plasticizer. And so there are only a few of undamaged ones to find. The cassettes are very sensitive for rougher handling, the foil is like glass... and everytime it is very exciting to wait for after buying them, because shipment could destroy the foil...

8. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking about someone should start a thread on the oldest tapes in their collection! Great finds Soluna, thanks for sharing.

9. soluna

soluna Active Member

Tataa - a new parcel arrived
    20230602_150809.jpg

Now i can change some placeholders with non-90-minutes playtime ;-). And i now have the full Toys - edition - here an abriviated excerpt from my databank
    toys databank.jpg

the D90 from 1982 is a typical US - Canadian Brand with the English-French declaration ( it`s the 10th D90 from 82 in my collection ... )
    D 82 Canada (3).jpg

I very long looked for the CUE Black with 90 minutes, same with japanese SA from 92, and some of the CDing are only to find with 46,54 or different minutes too, but none with 90 .
    By the way, some cassettes like SM Pro and Power CD wasn`t produced with 90 minutes in the annual edition.
    The collection now has 479 cassettes - and there are 13 additional waiting for shipment. It`s working.
    Good weekend for all..

Emiel likes this.
  10. Emiel

Impressive!

In a recently purchased Japanese book about Walkmans.
    In it are also some overviews of tapes, given you interest you might already have them.
    Here is the Denon overview:
    IMG_0787.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Mister X and Valentin like this.
  11. soluna

soluna Active Member

Seems to be a very interesting book, is there a side with TDK ? I look for a catalogue with all TDK-tapes - the only one i found was in Japanese.
    I have sold all my Denon, Maxell, Sony, That`s, BASF, Hitachi, Nakamichi, Kenwood, TEAC and AGFA cassettes to have more money and place...

12. Emiel

Since my Japanese is as good as my Chinese, I had to grab the book and browse through it.
    Here are the cover page and the 2 pages of the TDK overview.
    I did not know Hello Kitty was a mid-70s cultural thing.
    IMG_1694.jpeg IMG_1692.jpeg IMG_1693.jpeg

13. soluna

soluna Active Member

Yes, Hello Kitty is a Sanrio design - used for gifts and so on. TDK has also edited "Minna no tabo" and "Cheery Chums" - cassettes, same Sanrio thing.
    CH46-B (1).jpg Minna no tabo (1).jpg

i`m a little bit amazed, that the "Picnic Basket" - cassette is shown there - D - line, 1985, it belongs to the merchandise tapes, like these
    Muster.jpg Nice way.jpg tdk calcite.jpg
    but these are not shown in the book. May be, it`s only an example.
    Anyway, - it`s a good overview, all the mainstream cassettes are in. And i have the most ( except "Synchro" ) - first TDK... and even "Basket" - i found one in Russia - but it`s very difficult to get.
    One i miss - the SA-XG, don`t no why it`s not published...

Emiel likes this.
  14. Emiel

Cassette info galore! There are more pages in this book specifically for the higher end tapes. When I have a bit of time, I will send a few more snippets. I recommend buying the book if you are interested in Walkmans too, it contains great overviews.
    My phone runs hot though as I need to continuously use the camera feature of Google Translate.

15. soluna

soluna Active Member

I never used the tool... and Walkmans are not really muy area of interest, sorry, that would mean much more time . But i`m interested in what the book says about High End Cassettes.
    That's where opinions differ, it also depends on what deck is used. And for example in the TDK list of categories are the best cassettes not intended for walkman.
    That doesn't mean you can't use them, but they are overqualified ;-)
    TDK Classifikation.jpg TDK Empfehlungen.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  16. soluna

soluna Active Member

Here`s a little update to the collection - it`s even more difficult to find cassettes, i need for collection
    20230717_131304.jpg HC-1 1971 Jap (1).jpg

The 2 CDing are from 1989, and i longer has overlooked them, because the design is similar to some other CDing. Like from 1990/91/92...
    They came also without 90-minutes-versions.
    The DJ 2 was for the Europian market, you can see it in the green "90".
    And the Head Cleaner is one of the Oldies - from 1970/71, unfortunally unsealed - but i can use it as placeholder, it wasn?t expensive...

17. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Wow, that's indeed the best sealed TDK cassette collection I've ever seen. This deserve to be shown in a museum! :emoji_clap:

18. soluna

soluna Active Member

Yes, it`s a little museum :nwink: and about 18 cassettes are still on their way to me. But i also know from about 50 cassettes, i still need, very rar things... like the complete Alignment serie

walkman archive likes this.
  19. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

What’s that alignment serie?

20. soluna

soluna Active Member