CD revolutionized music industry 40 years ago

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Emiel, Sep 20, 2023.

1. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

mister X,
    that brings up a good point and Pioneer in my book has made some fine CD and DVD players over the years !

in my collection I must have half dozen pioneer players counting my Pioneer car indash and 12 disc changer .

Sincerely Richard

Mister X likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Pioneer USA seemed to lose some of it's home audio lust when BPC was everywhere, they really went bigly into car stereos here in the mid 80's. Up until 10 years or so ago they still had a massive display at the electronics stores. Some of them looked fairly high-tech with some of the first dash touch screens. I wonder why they don't have the same footprint like Bose, Harman Kardon, McIntosh do with car stereos today, maybe they do just not in any cars I've seen.

3. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

mister X,
    First all Pioneer got bought out and I to wonder why they don't have the same standing in the car market as the others they made some fine gear when my store front shop was going full steam back in the 80s and 90s through early 2000s I was a authorized warranty service center for Pioneer and even with my mustang everything was pioneer except the subwoofer which was JBL and the sub ampifier which was Soundstream .

Mister X likes this.
  4. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

Possibly, aftermarket car stereos do not have a good market since most cars these days come with an integrated stereo along with the factory Entertainment & Navigation system, with many having even Drive Control and Auxiliary devices controls built into it. Also the design of the screen is integrated with the car interiors and replacement of the screen is not feasible. Also, there is no need of a drive (CD or cassette mechanism) any more for the audio system, since car's computer can handle the entertainment function as well, with built in memory storage or external USB drives.

Instead Pioneer also must be supplying OEM amplifiers and devices to car makers like others. But car companies only display prestige manufactures' names in their cars, such as Bose, Harman Kardon, Meridian, B&O etc.

Mister X likes this.
  5. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

One of the coolest Pioneer portable CD players (can I call them Discman?) is the Lopmaster (the SONY D-88 is no less) that I used in a comparative years ago:

Mister X likes this.
  6. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

cd sounds better lads it's just to unreliable imho

i have thrown out cd's quicker than i can buy them lol

Mister X likes this.