Need help with belt change from Aiwa CS-600

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by carlos2000, Apr 23, 2020.

1. carlos2000

carlos2000 Member

I bought an Aiwa CS-600 where the drive belt broke. At the moment I am having trouble removing the rear cover. There are 7 scratches marked. After that, the rear cover still hangs on the upper edge. What else do I have to solve to open the rear cover?

Is it enough to open the rear cover to get the drive belt?
    I would be very happy about help and if someone has pictures it would help me a lot to understand.

Thanks!

2. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

I was here.
    Years ago I said I was going to open mine.
    I never got to it.
    I still have it.
    and it is still not serviced.
    Today and the past few days I have been working on these three distinctive different models of the Sanyo M7780 & M7780L & M7780K
    I have the Aiwa cs 600,660 770,other770,880,926, ca30 ca20. One in a box... some aiwa walkmans and a few more of each but I am only one person an so I am stuck on Sanyo's for now and why am I here - well I was answering a email taking a brake from the sanyos... too much fun
    23 minute video of me in facebook here is the link uh looking :)
    6 May 2020 searching for a boombox.
    At 19 minutes you can see the JVC RC-717 of mine kept in the case.

Mobile version below

I make how to repair video's below but not to many of aiwa just yet but I will soon?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Cassette2Go/videos

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

4. Cassette2go

James as Cassette2go in youtube
    Aiwa CS-600 Boombox cassette plays but Why no power from mainboard? (25:48) minutes

Cassette2go as James in facebook
    Aiwa CS-600 cassette plays but, why does the cassette deck motor not have power from the main board I don't know

December 2023 (28:04) minutes

Silver965 and Mister X like this.
  5. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

HI
    the motor power supply from the motherboard comes from the main selector (Line Radio Tape) and then from the lever switch which is mounted on the S6 mechanics

aiwa cs600.jpg aiwa cs601.jpg

soundslikespace and Cassette2go like this.
  6. soundslikespace

soundslikespace New Member

I just got a Aiwa CS-600 yesterday that is in great condition on the outside.

The eject button works. But the tape deck does not spin when I press Play, FF or Rewind. I plan to take it apart and try to replace the belts. Someone just gave me this list of belts that will hopefully work:

There are three belts:

Reel = 82-585-336-01 = SBS7.4
    Flywheel = 82--585-287-01 = FBM9.9
    Counter belt??? = 82-397-314-01 = SBO6.6 (The same one that the model CS660 uses maybe?)

But I noticed a problem. It sounds like the motor for the tape mechanism keeps running any time it is powered on, even if it is in Radio Mode or Line-In Mode.

Is that normal with this model? Can anyone else that has one confirm?

It makes a pretty loud humming/buzzing sound, so I find it hard to believe it was designed this way. Does anyone know how to fix it?

It sounds great as a radio, so I want to put in the work to get the cassette functional.

Other than that, it just seems like it needs some contact cleaner sprayed on the controls when I take it apart.

Thanks for any feedback!

Cassette2go likes this.
  7. Cassette2go

soundslikespace likes this.
  8. soundslikespace

Thank you! I want to at least get the replacement belts before I start taking it apart. I'll take pictures and/or videos when I do.

The humming/buzzing sound can be heard near the tape deck. It happens when it is in in Radio Mode, Tape Mode, or Line-In Mode.

9. Silver965

HI
    if the S6 switch is in position like this, the motor will run continuously...Or check the diagram I posted above

Meccanica cs 770-880 .jpg

soundslikespace likes this.
  10. soundslikespace

Awesome! Thank you!!! I will take it apart and check it in a few days when my belts arrive.

11. Cassette2go

Mine is constantly running with the switch in this position IMG_9507.JPG Why is my motor still running with the switch still not closed?

12. Silver965

So from the photo you posted I don't understand how that switch is connected... I see the gray connected correctly but the brown and blue seem connected together at the center pole.
    ..from the diagram, however, each wire is connected only to one pole of the Grey, Brown and Blue switch
    ...If it is connected correctly, S6-1 may be shorted and therefore any position powers the motor
    ...if this were not the case, another hypothesis could be that the diode 105 that I circled in blue is shorted...also in this case the Radio Line selector is in any position...the motor runs continuously and does not it should rotate to the Tape position until you press play
    This is what I deduce from the diagram..
    you can try disconnecting just one pin of the diode and do a test...if the engine doesn't turn...change the diode

aiwa 600.jpg aiwa cs6001.jpg aiwa 6002.jpg

Cassette2go and soundslikespace like this.