Walkman WM D6C Line Input Question

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Anthony, Jul 28, 2024.

1. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Is the line input on the Walkman WM D6C wired differently? Because I tried using a standard 3.5mm cord and the recording was mono as in I could only hear it coming from the left side of my headphones. I tried playing the cassette I had just recorded on a playback Walkman and sure enough, sound comes out of only the left channel. I looked in the manual and it mentioned a special Sony cord for the line input. I found the cord in question and it looks like a rather standard 3.5mm cord. So what is going on?

Cassette2go likes this.
  2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, there is nothing different about the 3.5mm line-in jack on a D6C either your cable is faulty or your input socket is faulty. Have you checked the cable on something else to make sure it's not at fault?

Do you have another deck for making your recordings? I say this because you will need the D6C calibrated correctly for the cassette you are going to use to get a good recording, the reason I never use the D6C for recording. If you have a full size deck, use that for recording and just use the D6C for playback only.

3. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

When you
    When you say standard are you saying just two pin not stereo like this one is let me show you
    17221953667166002852762665855661.jpg
    For all the stereo equipment I have, I don't even think I have a standard as you say two pin or maybe I wait here.

Here is something I rarely use, this is a two-pin or standard and if you stick this in to record you're only going to record on the Left channel because the pins go from the tip left then right in the middle and then common at the bottom or near the base
    17221955602146748137283512963696.jpg
    So which are you using as standard or calling standard? Is your standard on the left in this picture or on the stereo in the right of this picture?

4. Anthony

Anthony New Member

This is what I used
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3212865930...PkorILqTAa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Cassette2go likes this.
  5. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

So you used a double-ended 3.5 mm stereo Jack. To go from your phone to your line in on your Walkman.
    I guess you would need to check the contacts in your Walkman for only recording in one channel and then also you can check continuity in the wire cable. Double-edge is 3.5 mm that you have to make sure that the wire is correct and proper and giving electricity where it should.
    Do you have another device that you can plug your phone into and ensure that you're getting left and right channel from your phone to whatever device you plug into other than your Walkman? That would be an easy way to check to make sure that your wire that you bought is okay.
    If checking your wire that way is okay then you must have a bad connection inside your Walkman to only getting one channel recording. And or you could have some other issue inside your Walkman having to do with missing one channel for recording aside from the wire being correct.

6. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

@Anthony I would try another cable. Looking at pictures on ebay, the jack itself looks a bit off with sleeves being longer than normal. Not sure if that's how it is in reality.
    Note there may be other issues with your walkman, such as a cracked carbon trace on your rec level potentiometer.
    These pots will get damaged if the unit was dropped or the knob was hit as there's no mounting to the case but just the solder points on the PCB.

Cassette2go likes this.
  7. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Well I tried a different cable and then I started playing with the rec level knob. It’s when I discovered that unless the record level is above 6 the other channel will kick in. I don’t understand what anything below 6 would be mono but it is.

8. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Dirty / faulty pot maybe.

Cassette2go likes this.