autoreverser

BBX

Superscope CRS-4803S

Tags:
BBX
autoreverser, Feb 18, 2024
Mister X and Jorge like this.
    • Hyperscope
      Looks solid. Good VU meters. Tweeters mounted in front over the larger midrange / woofers? Understated design. Superscope importers label. Who made it though?

And Matrix Stereo... where have I heard that before... Sony through the 1970's starting with their CF-550. (Which I have come to adore and be genuinely astounded by the audio.)

(The Super Nintendo had a big ugly light gun "bazooka" accessory called the SuperScope that I got in 1993. Came with a game pak with 6 unusually good games. Only a few later games were available, like Battleclash, which I refused based on magazine reviews. All junk. By that period Nintendo was declining rapidly and I lost interest soon after. Superscope always makes me think of that "old" video game thing when I hear the name.)
    • Mister X
      Hyperscope, you haven't seen the greatest thread in the history of boomboxes?
      https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/the-ultimate-marantz-superscope-unix-boombox-thread.2590/

Superscope owned Marantz during this time and intially sent out the boomboxes marked Superscope, then Superscope by marantz, and then Marantz in the 80's. From what I can gather, Superscope bought Standard Radio of Japan, they were an early boombox maker along with their other lines, and really took the boomboxes to a new world. 90% of the body on this one is interchangeable with a few other boomboxes, they just upgrade some of the insides but outside from 20' away they all look the same.

If I had five boomboxes that I considered what a real boombox is, this chassis is one of them. The heart of the line unit was the CRS-4000, the rest have added tidbits.
    • Hyperscope
      I Googled Superscope distributor back last year and I believe that thread came up and I skimmed some of it. Just finished going through it today, yes, CRS-4000 chasis is quite good. A few on e-bay now but all have too many issues. Not enough data on what it sounds like though Mr.X... you had one and briefly mentioned clarity etc., but I would need some convincing to add th CRS-4000 to my short "count them on one hand" list.

(Their big Mono Boxes like CR-3520, CR-1400 and CR-1200 suffer from rather small speaker / woofers and I just consider junk knock off's and a waste of plastic to produce. Sorry to offend anyone.)

History of Superscope is hazy towards the 1980's. Did they just crash onto the rocks from collapse of sales and failure to switch to low brow silver trash boomboxes in time? Seems just a few years prior they were getting "too big for their boots" and really thought they were something trying to gobble up production etc,. Same tired old story I guess? Can't go in reverse and go back to their roots and be happy to survive as a small focused boutique vendor of what others produce?
    • Mister X
      Superscope, I think, is still around but the Marantz Parts were split and sold so many times. I have more than one getting them during late-night ebay sessions for reasonable amounts. The insides are all metal with a ton of small screws and washers so changing a belt can take a couple hours with cleaning. The transport has to be fully removed and it's a great time to clean it, the metal doesn't slide great if it has been sitting a long time. I got my belts from Turntable Needles, they came in a few days and fit perfect.

18 years ago, these rarely came up for sale, now there's usually a few so keep your eyes open for a nice model. The other models like Autos and the CRS-5000 are much more rare (especially USA) but can be found in Germany or Japan.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Boomboxes
    Uploaded By:
    autoreverser
    Date:
    Feb 18, 2024
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/1.6
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 13
    Date / Time:
    2024:02:17 18:38:52
    Exposure Time:
    1/25 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 640
    Focal Length:
    5.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).