Machaneus

Late 20th Century Audio and Video Storage Devices

Late 20th Century Audio and Video Storage Devices
Machaneus, Jul 5, 2018
lupogtiboy and Boodokhan like this.
    • Longman
      Is that a Sony U-Matic top left ? In the mid 1980s I regularly used one at work.
      We also had this fancy JVC CRT monitor that would do just about any video standard in the world
      Machaneus likes this.
    • Machaneus
      @Longman. Yes , it's a Sony U-matic SP model VP-9000P , a player only machine. It is in literally mint condition.
      I used an Aver Media TvBox to connect it to an early Sony LCD PC monitor from 2003.
      Great picture from a recording on a much earlier Sony U-matic recorder (70's), no compatibility or tracking issues, no fuss at all.
      Solenoids clicking and clacking happily.:)
      Mark P likes this.
    • Mark P
      Hi: I'm new to the forum and joined to keep current with 'tape guys.' Little did I know I'd see a couple of 'old friends.'( I worked as a Colorist in film/video post for 25 years and retired in 2009) I refer to the BetaSP PVM 2800's. These are lower end, but decent quality decks that were a cost effective alternative to the BVW 75. The BVW75 featured DT, dynamic tracking, 4 channels of Dolby audio, LED peak meters and they were built like tanks.
      Another member commented on the U-matic deck.I think it's from the '5 series) but don't quote me. It's a 3/4" analog recorder. BTW, the longest tape length of the 3/4" format was 75min as opposed to BCSP which had a 90min TRT.
      To the OP: Are these decks used by you or part of a vintage collection? Just curious. I 'collect' Uhers, but regularly use a Tascam TSR8 and Teac 3440 w/M2516 board. Usually, it's Cakewalk and Pro Tools. Anyway, some neat stuff here. I also recognize the (IIRC) the BSP 1800's? Those were designed and made for boardrooms and Education facilities. Police departments had em' as did professional body building or 'Spandex 'n' legwarmer' workout studios.
      (glorified gyms!)
      Anyway, thanks for sharing the pix. Even in retirement, this stuff never gets old!
      Mark
      Machaneus likes this.
    • Machaneus
      Hello Mark and welcome to the forum !

While it's not difficult to meet people that have fond memories of vintage walkmans and other consumer tape related products when entering professional equipment the chances are few and far between.
      I'm very glad this photo includes " a couple of old friends " of yours !:)
      The idea behind the photo was to show the diversity of the magnetic tape usage.

The two PVW-2800's are part of my vintage VTR and VCR collection . Though they are not dust collectors I'm using them to watch and digital transfer U-matic and Betacam tapes that I regularly collect .

The models above are Sony VP-9000P , two Sony UVW-1400AP and two Sony PVW-2800P.

The U-matic Sony VP-9000P is indeed a 3/4" analog , player only , from the second " high band " revision known as SP (superior performance).

Here these models were very popular among advertising agencies , music video production and local TV stations while national TV networks would probably using Sony BVW-75 .
      Feel free to show your collection if you wish , Uher Tascam and Teac are of interest to quite a few members including myself.
      Mark P likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Miscellanea
    Uploaded By:
    Machaneus
    Date:
    Jul 5, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2908px
    Height:
    2304px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-W120
    Date / Time:
    2018:05:04 16:59:28
    Exposure Time:
    10/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    5.35 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).