Back again

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by TheBomber, Dec 18, 2017.

1. TheBomber

TheBomber New Member

Hello forumites! Not entirely new here as I was a member on the old platform but that has either lapsed or it's normal to have to reregister following the update. A fan of cassettes and Walkmans during my teenage and college years in the '80s and '90s I never entirely gave them up but they certainly took a back seat when I bought a car with a CD player and later was hoodwinked into buying an iPod ;)

While recently trying to get my recording deck repaired by ANT Audio I ended up buying a sublime fully restored Pioneer deck that creates compilations far superior to iTunes. This led to me getting the centre gear of the DD30 I bought new in 1991 repaired by Mikolm - and boy was I nervous putting that into the post to Slovakia (I needn't have been) - so now I truly have Stereo 2 Go.

My current project is to get the Sony WM25 I bought on eBay a couple of years back operating properly. Although a lowly model it's the same as the first Sony Walkman I ever bought (we'll gloss over the Sanyo radio/cassette) so there is some sentimental attachment.

So, hello and good to be back.

2. PHILIP[

PHILIP[ Member

Welcome back . How long did it take for the repair ?

3. TheBomber

TheBomber New Member

Philip - I think it was around two weeks including postage to/from the UK. Though it was a few years back now so I'm not too sure. It was when Mikolm repaired the centre gear (I believe using part of a sacrificial one). I see that complete new gears are available now; I could be tempted by one of them as there is a mild ticking developing suggesting that the repair might be opening up again. Previously it was so bad as to create wow/flutter on each revolution - it's certainly nowhere near that bad again.

4. PHILIP[

PHILIP[ Member

The Bomber

Many thanks for the quick response I understood that Mikolm was very good and I am aware that a new gear replacement is now available but I don't feel that I would be up to doing it myself though , as I am no technician nor an engineer , in fact ,cack left handed . I trust you will manage to accomplish your repair of the WM-25 . Best of luck . Nice to meet you .Philip

5. TheBomber

TheBomber New Member

You are wise to recognise your own limitations as it is possible to do much damage to such precious items. I believe Mikolm will still do the repair for you. I might be willing to have a go at a Wm25 repair but less so a DD Walkman.

6. Ball000

Ball000 Member

Marian's avatar on this board is called @mihokm not Mikolm ;-)

7. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Welcome back! :wavey:

8. TheBomber

TheBomber New Member

I knew I should have checked the spelling of Mihokm rather than just guessing - thank you!