Help with value of Aiwa HS-JX2000 GOLD

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by walkmanwonderer1, Apr 29, 2018.

1. walkmanwonderer1

walkmanwonderer1 New Member

hey people!

Can any one help me with the value of this unit I have?

It is the Aiwa HS-JX2000 10th anniversary cassette recorder with original everything. Charger, battery, headphones, carry case and box. Even has original instructions.

It’s gold plated!

There has never been a plug fitted to the mains adapter, it has the immaculate solder on the wire ends. The headphones have never been in an ear, the battery never fitted, and the AAA battery pod never had batteries in it. All connections are untouched.

The remote on the headphones has never had fingers on it - It’s immaculate.

Each part is still in the plastic wrappers. It’s a time capsule!

What’s the value on this?

Attached Files:

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

That's a really cool model Richard May, I don't have one but I've always lusted after the high-end AIWA Units. Putting a value on it is really hard since so few units change hands over the years but I've found a few old listings that will give you a range. The Japanese Listing seems to be the most current but without all the cool stuff. This is definitely a statement piece that very few people get to enjoy.

I found this old ebay listing from five years ago, this sold for good money.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190782497322?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

This one didn't sell and the price doesn't seem that bad
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/121334465021?ViewItem=&item=121334465021

And one from Japan without the accessories or box for approximately $270.00 USD
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.sekaimon.com/gb/15054/Personal+CD+Players/252822535065/&edit-text=

And one that just sold in the UK
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIWA-HS-JX-2000-/273108169920?rmvSB=true&clk_rvr_id=1514737489292&nma=true&si=NIBRRJWXfcsvS4V9pGuAFdIhaBc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/aiwa-hs-jx2000.htm

3. walkmanwonderer1

Thanks for your reply, there is some good information there.

I really believe that this is a clear leader in condition as it has never had a tape in it!

I would be curious to see how to best value it, even for insurance purposes.

Going by the links you have put on there - I could expect upwards of £800?

Does anyone else have any input? I would greatly appreciate it.

4. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

I use to own the Aiwa HS-JX101, HS-JX303, HS-JX505 and the HS-JX707 and new they were £250 each but they are not the limited ones just the black ones. The one you show here is only a HS-JX505 in gold.

To be honest it's worth what people are willing to pay and if you are lucky you may find 2 people that are willing to fight over it. For me personally it's worth not a lot as i don't do gold and i am not a collector, i only buy the best i can get to listen to.

Boodokhan likes this.
  5. Mister X

The personal cassette player market is a very strange one. Personally I don't run with the high bidders, and I don't know if they even visit the forums.

I've been successful finding pretty cool items "in the wild" for years and enjoy finding players maybe a little more than using them but I do play tapes all the time. Some items like the high-end Sony D6's and Marantz's PMD 430 have been selling for about the same price (although they've gone up over the years) but these more unique items are hit or miss. I tend to look for these in the winter when nobody is shopping and the price is usually 1/2 of normal and maybe more for your AIWA since nobody is looking for it.

6. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Hello Richard
    Your walkman is a museum piece/ a collectors dream item. You already got some idea about the value of your walkman. I think @TooCooL4 gave you best answer:
    my opinion.

$1250 without knowing about its functionality/ doesn't work
    $1500 works
    $2000 fully serviced by a well known professional

Jorge likes this.
  7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

It is priceless!!! But if you need an exact "resale value" then list it on eBay at, say $2,500 with an option of a "best offer" and within a year or two you get the answer. I did this for my Sencor S-4800 boomox but then chickened out that someone will actually grab it from me for the listed $900 and took it down. But did get the info: $600 resale value! for me it is "priceless" ;)

Boodokhan likes this.
  8. walkmanwonderer1

Wow! Thanks for all your input peeps! I appreciate that not a lot of people will go for this, but it looks amazing anyway.

I’m really tempted to put a battery in it and see how it sounds. Will that aff ct the value of I try to use it?

Thanks.

9. TooCooL4

Yes put batteries in it and enjoy it, like it's meant to be used.
    It's a nice sounding unit, like i said it's the same as the HS-JX505 that i use to have. Just don't expect much if you use it to record, as a recording part it's terrible.

10. walkmanwonderer1

I wonder if I should sell it..

11. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't sell it for sure if I were you. You kept it for long time and you can always enjoy just by looking it it.
    But if you decide to sell, list it on ebay and let members know about it

12. TooCooL4

I don’t think he kept it a long time, sounds like he just got hold of it and think hey I can make a quick killing here.
    Good luck to him if he can.

13. Command8

Command8 Active Member

If I may ask, why did you sell your Aiwa jx walkmans? Aren't they supposed to be the best sounding walkmans from Aiwa?

You would be better of starting from 500-600 euros in an ebay bidding. On ebay you cna set a required price to be reached before sale. If I set my required price to 8oo euros, if the bidding is sold for less then 800 euros it will remain unsold

14. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@TooCooL4 is most probably correct: such posts get pretty rude responses at Boomboxery and there must be a reason for the nastiness (although I understand the sentiments, hate Boomboxery folks attitude!)... Only time will tell if @Richard May contributes anything else here ;)

15. TooCooL4

Well I did not really sell them, if I remember correctly I had one issue or other with them that I had to take them back. Since they were in warrantee they gave me new ones and since the model have been updated I got the new one.

I could only remember one fault which was when it got to the end of side 1 and it reversed it would start playing at high-speed, it only did it from time to time but was so irritating that I could not deal with it. Model after model did this, which led me to believe the same logic / software must have been used in all the top models. After going from HS-JX101 all the way to HS-JX707 I gave up and bought the HS-PX1000. Out of all of those models I think I only bought 2 of them as all the rest were replacements.

Yes you are correct they sounded very good especially with the BBE & DSL engaged.

16. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

The reason these posts get such responses at Boomboxery and to an extent here is that people join, get a value for something they find then disappear again and members get tired of it. As the years go buy people grow tired of answering the "how much money can I make on this" question as it's often a sought after model that the person enquiring has no care about, they just want a value. It's the same in any field of collecting.

mraiwa1000 and Boodokhan like this.
  17. TooCooL4

To be honest, I usually ignore posts like this as it’s boring these people are just after money why pretend otherwise.

18. Mister X

Personally I feel like knowing the "perceived" value is a nice thing but we all know that there is a very limited pool of buyers and this value is never stable. I'm glad he posted this unit since I've never seen one before and talking about value is the price to get non-collectors to post these one-of-a kind units. Sure he can get an idea of what they are worth, and he could have gotten the information just as easily as I did, but there must have been a little spark to go and join a forum and discuss it.

The other reality of economics 101 is that if these units were free or had no value more of them would end up in the trash but as we can plainly see, there is a comparative relationship between "grail" units and the high price they command, there is a perceived value in owning them. Members on all of these forums have been discussing prices since the units were new, the first question I get asked is never "how does it sound?", it's "how much was it?".

stuck-in-time likes this.
  19. walkmanwonderer1

Hello all, sorry I have been a bit quiet.

I haven’t sold it yet - was undecided as to whether to sell it or not. It is tho, going to be sold.

It’s not on eBay yet, but that’s where i will put it I thinkz

20. walkmanwonderer1

Very presumptuous... there is a story behind this that is personal so be careful throwing careless remarks around.

‘Time will tell’ if I come back on here peeps. If I cannot enjoy it like it should be, then someone else should. That’s my view - It could bring someone a lot of joy.