Boodo Khan Tape Head Solder Question

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Kirk, May 4, 2018.

1. Kirk

Kirk New Member

So I got this walkman on CL.
    I have two questions.
    1- How to reconnect a tape head wire?
    2- Is this really a Boodo Khan?

Dude said the tape head has a broken wire that needs to be soldered. Sure enough, he was right, problem is it looks like there are two options on the right hand side where the wire could go.
    Does anyone have any idea?

My other observation is the pcb board itself is labeled as WM-DDII, which seems odd to me, since this is a Boodo - Khan. I would have expected it to read DD-100. But I do know that the DD II was the foundational start for the Boodo Khan, so either this is normal or this is an early variant. It does appear to have the correct circuitry and even has the DOS switch in the upper left hand corner of this photo. It also appears to have the same wiring as I have seen in other Boodo Khan photos here in the forum. Maybe it is no big deal, but it does have me curious.

fullsizeoutput_1b5b.jpeg IMG_1636.JPG

2. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

I’d say the yellow contact is at the 12 o’clock of your circle

3. matic777

matic777 Member

The 2 terminals on the right side of the head on your pic are ground and they can be soldered together - the "free" terminal on the 12 o clock on your circle and current yellow one.
    I don`t know about the label on the PCB. I never paid any attention, but I will check it on the next DD100 I service.

4. Kirk

Kirk New Member

***update***
    I think I need to replace a wire or the wire harness from the tape head to the board. What gauge are those 3 wires?

***Original post***
    So I made some progress today.
    Soldered the wire in place, put in batteries and a tape and “boom” everything worked.

I then reassembled everything and I have no sound anymore....so now I’m bummed out. not sure how to troubleshoot.
    I’ll start by doing continuity checks on the tape head wiring. The headphone jacks both worked when I played it prior to assembly, so I don’t think we have an issue with the headphone jacks.

The volume still works, because I can hear the “sound of nothing” increase and decrease.

Any threads you recommend for me to read up on to help troubleshoot?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  5. renzgi

renzgi Member

That with the DD2 board can already be.
    I have already repaired two pieces DD100 in which I have exchanged the defective DD100 board for a DD2.

There are DD2 boards that are almost identical. Even the solder pins for the DOL cables are available.
    But must three pieces of resitance additional soldering (solder pin available)
    And you have to cut through two interconnects......

Your wiring on the head is correct.
    The fourth pin over yellow must be connected to the yellow one. (Bridge)

6. renzgi

renzgi Member

Kirk, I assume you bought one of my old Boodokhan. Does he have a DOL sticker with Japanese writing?
    And he does not have the notorious clicking?

7. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Yes, the DOL sticker looks pretty new compared to the rest of the deck.
    I soldered the head connection today and got everything working. Does not have any clicking.

The board definitely has had some work done to it, but everything is in good working order as far as I can tell, it was only the wire on the head that broke, which needed repair.

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

vinchy likes this.
  8. renzgi

renzgi Member

Yes that was probably my walkman and I bought it myself defective and repaired. After that I used it for about 3 years.
    before I sold it to a man named Chad. I think he was in California, too.
    I do not know if that was his real name or member name .

If you did not pay too much, that was a good buy. Chad had paid me $ 400 about 4 years ago. But prices have gone up .....

9. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Yes,
    I bought it from Chad in San Francisco Bay Area of California. I did not pay too much. I paid $100.00, probably because it was not running. It came with a bag, the tape deck, and nothing additional.

What is the first thing you would do for maintenance? I assume this has been sitting awhile and could use some TLC (tender love and care).

10. renzgi

renzgi Member

$100 wow!!. A very good deal. Congratulations. If everything works, you don't have to do anything. Occasionally clean the pressure roller and tape head is sufficient for service.

11. Kirk

Kirk New Member

The sound quality improves when I apply a little more pressure to the tape head. My assumption is the gap between the tape head and the tape should be adjusted such that the gap is smaller.

Day 1 - the sound quality was great
    Day 2 - the sound quality seems “muted” a bit. Improves when I push the tape head towards the cassette tape while playing.

Is there an adjustment for this?

12. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Just an update:
    Figured out that the tape head had some solder flux or some other "crap" on it. So I cleaned it well with ISO.
    After this the sound was much improved, but the right channel was significantly quieter than the left.
    Double checked the azimuth adjustment, then went ahead and tweaked the right channel pot.

Now it feels like the right is "slightly' hotter than the left, but sounds much better.
    I'll see if I can find some equipment that I can use to measure the Left and Right output.

Sounds really good though, compared to day one when there was no audio :)