Sony TPS-L2 repair advice

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Groverson, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Groverson

Groverson New Member

So I replaced the two belts on my Sony TPS-L2 and got it running. My problem now is when I put the batteries in the player it starts running with no buttons pushed in and when I press play the cassette heads will engage and runs a cassette but I can’t turn it off with pressing the stop button. It just keeps running. I then noticed a small spring that must have popped off. Not sure if this where my problem is though. Attached is two pics. One with that spring attached and one with it missing.
    It seems like it will be a bear to get the spring back on. Anyone know what the spring and gears is responsible for?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I will open a TPS-L2 for you today evening to show you how to attach the spring to the right spot.

3. Groverson

Groverson New Member

Thanks so much!

4. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

That spring is part of the the auto-stop system. So I'm guessing that your problem lies elsewhere. The unit should run just fine without that spring in place (without the lower gear too, in fact) since the auto stop system is mechanical and directly release the buttons through gears and levers.

The power switch that turns the motor on when you press play is hidden under the headphone jack on the upper side of the front side of the walkman. I've serviced a unit where this switch was somehow bent, resulting in a similar situation. So perhaps that's a good area to check.

5. Groverson

Groverson New Member

Thanks so much for the info. I’m not sure what I did to the player. It worked fine and then a minute later I couldn’t turn it off with the button. Can I ask what exactly the auto-stop system does? Sorry I didn’t understand how you described it above.

Oh, one more thing. I must have put stress on one of the 3 wires going to that little cylinder mic thing. The wire separated. How hard will it be to get it connected again? Do you solder it? Use glue?

Thanks again....

6. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

9AF54703-BD03-45FB-AB8B-D170BB100F4D.jpeg

Hope it helps

7. Groverson

Groverson New Member

Thank you! I’ll try to get this spring back on.

8. renzgi

renzgi Member

Check this spring BEDA10F6-587E-46C9-8D0F-4AAA0AA05239.jpeg

9. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Oh, the unit was working normally before the fiddling? Then, as renzgi suggested you should to check that big spring
    If it isn't properly reattached, the play button wouldn't fully release to its off position. It will pop a little, but the internal switch will still be in the on position. (to confirm this problem, try pulling the play button up/pushing up on that sliding plastic assembly that's attached to the spring. The unit should turn off)

The auto-stop system automatically turns off the machine when the end of the cassette have been reached. The system is a mechanical one that releases the play button (in essence, identical to pressing the stop button, but from the inside). It does this by sensing the rotation of the cassette (spindle). When there is no rotation, a set of gears and levers will act to release the assembly holding the buttons down.

The mic wires can be resoldered to the mic.

10. Groverson

Groverson New Member

That’s it then. I screwed it up when putting the belts on. Thanks so much all. Really appreciate the expert advice.