WM-D6C left channel problem while recording

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by flash_the_84, Oct 30, 2018.

1. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

Hello,
    On this WM-D6C I have, the audio is perfectly as it should, except when i put it in Record, then the Left channel isn't audible, and it also only records the right channel, indicating a contact somewhere that was lost. Same issue on both Mic and Line inputs, (I checked their physical connection, and it was good). The problem must be further down, but I have no idea where it could be, I cannot follow with a continuity meter as I fall on multiple capacitors that just don't let me follow the trace by continuity.
    Would anyone have past experience with this and/or a layout of the board with the traces clearly visible ?
    Thank you for reading.

2. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

Bumping my post, maybe @Deb64 would have a solution? Thank you in advance for your response.
    To be more precise, the left channel isn't completely dead, as it works perfectly in playback, but in record mode theres the background hiss of the amp, except there's no signal actually passing through, and i have no idea what could be wrong. The rec volume pot was replaced.

3. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

Have you tried cleaning the record / playback slide switch on the main circuit board? The contacts often get dirty or oxidised and can give problems.

4. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

I actually did yes, and it didn't improve it. Maybe is there a good way to get the fluid inside? Where should i spray it in from? Thanks.

5. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

I prefer to use the little deoxit dropper tubes. That way you get the deoxit where you want it. In the case of the slide switch, you need to put the deoxit in the gap in the top of the casing, where the slider is. Move the switch backwards and forwards a few times so that the deoxit works its way onto the contacts.

If the switch is not the problem, then you will need to trace through the signal path using an oscilloscope from the mic / line in switch (which is located within the red mic in socket on the D6C) into the Dolby IC and then out of the Dolby IC through the record amp and the bias trap, to the head. On the output side, check the signal path through the line amp and headphone amp.
    Although this may seem a daunting task, you have two identical circuits (one on each channel) so you can compare the faulty one against a good one. This will make your task a lot easier.

Did you check the "new" record level pot? Bear in mind that this will be an old item and may be faulty too.

Good luck!