Good Mini Boxes

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by RoboNixon, Feb 16, 2019.

1. RoboNixon

RoboNixon New Member

What are some reccomendations for a solid mini box at a relatively affordable price. Most id be willing to spend is 200. I like their small form factor and how well they fit in places because of it.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Your budget will cover just about all of them, it's more now what is available and what are you interested in. You might even find some nice ones on Yahoo.jp Auctions but the shipping can be much more than the box.

Personally I think Sanyo/Fisher has the largest selection but make sure you look for the nicer ones, some of them are ok but some are very well built and heavy. The Sansui FX-700R is hot right now and goes for pretty good money but once in a while they will pop up BIN for less. It's probably my favorite due to it's really nice design, EQ and it sounds great for being so small. Japan also has the Marantz Bustang Version but you'll want to get a 100v to 120v wall wart.

I look for mini's all the time, there's usually 3-5 on ebay some pushing $150.00+ but for a really nice one I'd look for much less than that. Sanyo/GE has two versions of a neat mono-box, it looks much larger in photos but is barely taller than a beer can and very nice looking.

Akai's tend to fly under the radar and they have the pivoting speakers, I just looked them up and found this interesting one, the AKAI PJ-W30. I have the smaller version and it has a big extension on the back for the internals and it's pretty heavy.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AK...h=item468fbffd05:g:SGwAAOSw6JhcTQ8c:rk:2:pf:0

akai 2.jpg

3. RoboNixon

RoboNixon New Member

Thanks for the help, but what are some of the nicer Sanyo models?

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Try looking for Sanyo M7XXX, some are entry level and some are really nice, especially the ones with multiple speakers. I forgot to mention the Sharp QT Series, some of these are really nice, the multi-colored art deco versions are ok, the styling is kind of a stretch for me. I don't know them by model numbers very well.

Here's one of my favorites Sansui's, I'm pretty sure these were made by Marantz. It's a heavy, substantial unit but this seems way overpriced, try a BEST OFFER, you might get lucky.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sa...b:g:w4sAAOSw8mpbFiAh:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

5. RoboNixon

RoboNixon New Member

Thanks, I saw that Sansui while looking, looks tempting, if I can get it for lower.

6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Just have good look around the site, although I have found Google works better for searching. First hit was:
    http://stereo2go.com/forums/media/growing-sanyo-family.841/
    As Mister X says the ones with four speakers seem to be the ones people like the most.

7. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Love my 7735! Sound is astonishing for such a tiny stereo! Had a 7755 too but prefer this model, just looks gorgeous!!:wink: Sanyo M-7735L Stereo Radio Recorder (Silver) - September 2017 (38).jpg

8. RoboNixon

RoboNixon New Member

Is the 7770k a good model

9. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

I saw this blue version on Instagram today. Isn't she a beauty! IMG_7915.jpg

10. RoboNixon

RoboNixon New Member

That actually looks really nice, If I could fine one like that i'd buy it. I wanna know if the 7770k is good because its got shortwave and Ive been looking for a radio with shortwave. It seems like a good way to get a shortwave radio and boombox all in one package.

nickeccles and Mister X like this.
  11. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Something to be aware of is that different countries use / got different bands. In Europe it was almost standard to get MW, LW, SW, and FM (88 to around 108) on Boomboxes. SW in a single band is very difficult to tune precisely. In some places that don't use LW like South America many boxes had two SW bands instead.

nickeccles likes this.
  12. RoboNixon

RoboNixon New Member

The M7770k im looking at has US radio frequencies. I just want to know if its actually got a good cassette player in it before I bite the bullet and buy it.

nickeccles likes this.
  13. sickly_b

sickly_b Active Member

Agree with @nickeccles 100%

I also have Sanyo 7735 and it is the box I use the most - to say it punches above its weight would be a massive understatement

It's beautifully designed, engineered and built in my view. Plus it's very portable and has line input. I'd hate for their ebay prices to go silly, but I have to be honest on S2G!

They also do a a chunkier 6 speaker job that appeals to me....

nickeccles likes this.
  14. RoboNixon

RoboNixon New Member

They look nice, but I cant find one anywhere, thats why im going with the m7770k. Its got a design I like and features I want, I just want to know if that particular box is good before I pull the trigger on an Ebay listing

nickeccles likes this.
  15. BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN New Member

This is a great small box
    Sanyo M7900L
    Mine has a little added extra

Bendycat

Attached Files:

Mystic Traveller and sickly_b like this.
  16. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

My recommendation if you are looking for SMALLER version of miniboomboxes:
    1- Sony WA-8800 ( the best)
    upload_2019-4-2_9-46-3.png

2- Sanyo M-S200
    upload_2019-4-2_9-51-16.png

nickeccles and Mystic Traveller like this.
  17. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

:) JVC/Victor PC100

Victor_PC-100.png PC-100 (1).png

nickeccles likes this.
  18. RoboNixon

RoboNixon New Member

That m-s200 looks tempting, ive seen it in some gallery threads I browsed and it looks cool. I still havent pulled the trigger on a boombox yet so i'm still really in the market for one. My only question is do the radios on these work with US frequencies, or would I be SOL in that department?